IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Those of you with subwoofer issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 08:58 AM
kj4976
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those of you with subwoofer issues

Hey I know a few of you including myself have been having some issues with aftermarket amps and subwoofers hooked up to the stock face. In another post I wrote that my installer talked to JL audio and discovered had created a new product that could help are situation and would first be seen at CES. My installer just called me and let me know that JL posted the specs of the product on their website

Here is a link for a first look

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=217

Looks like this product should help solve most of the issues created by the stock head unit w/o having to install a complete clean sweep or something similar. This product should eliminate the bass defeat created by the head unit as well as an overall bass control. Although the JL rep said this product won’t be available until April or may can't wait to get this in my car
Old 01-09-07, 09:59 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes! I remember your post kj... BUT, from a quick read of the url you gave, I don't see how this product will eliminate the "bass defeat created by the head unit" (I assume you mean the 30-80hz filter from the amp?)
Old 01-09-07, 10:51 AM
kj4976
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Technique
Yes! I remember your post kj... BUT, from a quick read of the url you gave, I don't see how this product will eliminate the "bass defeat created by the head unit" (I assume you mean the 30-80hz filter from the amp?)
I agree, however I am not an expert, what my installer and the JL rep have said is that the products ability to amplify the signal levels eliminates anychanges made but the head unit to protect the stock sub. Additionally the amount of bass can be controled from 0 to +10db by the ****. It may not be perfect but its by far better than what i have now, and probably the most cost effective solution. I have a JL amp so the products should work very welll together
Old 01-09-07, 11:51 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

what problems are you having with an aftermarket sub/amp in your IS? i installed mine over a year ago and have not had any issues at all.
Old 01-09-07, 12:05 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_250
what problems are you having with an aftermarket sub/amp in your IS? i installed mine over a year ago and have not had any issues at all.
Assuming that you got the signal by tapping into the stock subwoofer speaker wires, then you are only getting 30-80hz... I want to get 15-120hz to my sub...
Old 01-09-07, 12:05 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's just a pre-amp volume level control. These have been out for years if you knew where to look. I had one in my car audio system made by Sony that did the same exact thing over 10 years ago.

What it will do in a 2IS system:
1. Give you two RCA outputs (one with a wired remote volume control) to go to two aftermarket amps.
2. It will give you a remote bass level control if your aftermarket amp does not have one.

What it won't do in a 2IS system:
1. Convert the subwoofer speaker level output of the factory amp to RCA line level. It has only one RCA input and two RCA outputs.
2. Correct the 30 Hz subsonic bass filter in the amp because it has no onboard equalizer.

I'm a JL Audio fan. I have used their equipment before and probably will again in the future. They make some of the best quality equipment on the market. However this is not the "holly grail" product for us 2IS owners have been hoping for.
Old 01-09-07, 12:13 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmusic
However this is not the "holly grail" product for us 2IS owners have been hoping for.
Ya, didn't think so... And getting the cleansweep just for a sub is a waste... And not worth it for a few hz below 30 and above 80
Old 01-09-07, 12:22 PM
kj4976
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmusic
It's just a pre-amp volume level control. These have been out for years if you knew where to look. I had one in my car audio system made by Sony that did the same exact thing over 10 years ago.

What it will do in a 2IS system:
1. Give you two RCA outputs (one with a wired remote volume control) to go to two aftermarket amps.
2. It will give you a remote bass level control if your aftermarket amp does not have one.

What it won't do in a 2IS system:
1. Convert the subwoofer speaker level output of the factory amp to RCA line level. It has only one RCA input and two RCA outputs.
2. Correct the 30 Hz subsonic bass filter in the amp because it has no onboard equalizer.

I'm a JL Audio fan. I have used their equipment before and probably will again in the future. They make some of the best quality equipment on the market. However this is not the "holly grail" product for us 2IS owners have been hoping for.
Thanks cmusic, as usual that definately makes things more clear. Obviously the claims made by my installer may not be entirely correct (more likely I misunderstood him haha) and this not the perfect solution it definately helps with managing bass more effectively
Old 01-09-07, 04:46 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Don't forget, if you have a JL slash series amp (either the 500/1 or 1000/1) they already make a bass control ****...