IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

navigation problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 02:35 PM
lil' IS300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default navigation problem

Sometimes when I try and input various towns, the computer does not have them listed. Is there some type of update CD thing that I need because this is really annoying.
Old 01-09-07, 02:37 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nav may be set in a different area of the country. Check if it is on the northeast.(im guessing thats where your towns are since you live in NY).

I dont think you need an update. The Nav isnt even a year old.
Old 01-09-07, 02:42 PM
lil' IS300
Rookie

yea it is set in the right area...it has most of the towns near me just not some..it also does not have a lot of roads listed
its just really irritating that I cant use my navigation to guide me when I go to various towns in westchester
Old 01-10-07, 07:16 PM
lil' IS300
Rookie

any suggestions? no?
Old 01-10-07, 08:00 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Somewhere online, or in the nav unit, it shows which parts of the nav regions are "detailed". For instance, I live in central TX, and there are not many details in my area. Of course, Houston, Dallas/FtWorth, and San Antonio, and a few other areas are covered in detail, but I'm 60 miles north of Austin. I'm sure my nav wouldn't show all the little hick towns around here, either. Check to see if where you live/drive is in a "detailed" area of your region. That may be the "problem".
Old 01-10-07, 08:52 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

OK, I'm bored, so...
I'll presume you meant Westchester County, NY.
Didn't look at my nav system, but this sample map
http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/Kno...n/GPS_Maps.pdf
on Lexus' site shows Westchester county area to be in a "detailed" area of that region. So, your nav should have all the cities in the region, (but, towns, villages, I don't know?).
This map
http://www.co.westchester.ny.us/plan...s/muncolor.pdf
of the county shows many kinds of municipalities in the county. Maybe the mapmaker didn't include town names, or village names??? Got an example of a name that you are familiar with, that does not show up?
Old 01-10-07, 09:03 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Also, I see you joined in 2002. If you are still driving a 2002 IS300 (as your moniker indicates), then you might be able to get an updated CD for your nav. Lexus' site says they generally provide one for about 4 or 5 years following a model year. However, I doubt they have added any 'towns, or cities' in Westchester County in the last few years.

p.s. You'll need to be able to drive with only one arm and one leg, if you purchase any available CD from Lexus. ;-)
Old 01-11-07, 07:47 PM
lil' IS300
Rookie

yea i am just using my brothers name...i have an 06 is350
an example would be cross river, ny of a large town that it doesnt have
Im not exactly sure what you guys mean by detail? Is that the region thats selected in the nav
Old 01-11-07, 09:07 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the reason why your destination doesn't show up is because you're entering the street number first. For some unknown reason, if you enter the street name first and then the street number, it'll show up. I can't guarantee that it'll work every single time but give that a try. I had it happen to me before where I put in the street # first and the navi couldn't find it but when I put in the street name first, it shows up. Weird.
Old 01-12-07, 01:07 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lil' IS300
yea i am just using my brothers name...i have an 06 is350
an example would be cross river, ny of a large town that it doesnt have
Im not exactly sure what you guys mean by detail? Is that the region thats selected in the nav
Perhaps, if you looked at the first pdf I mentioned, you would understand. It just means that on the DVD, some areas of each region have more detailed streets, etc. than others. See the light green(?) colored areas - they are the areas with more detailed info on the DVD, than the black colored areas. Cross River is in a detailed area. Now, that being said, I would venture a guess that Cross River is not big enough to have a post office, and the addresses in that area are designated as "Lewisboro Twn". Or, maybe the previous poster is correct - that you need to type the town name first, and it will show up? Let us know what you find.