IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: POLL TIME!! 08 Skyline/G35 or Lexus IS 350?
G35
32.28%
IS 350
67.72%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

2008 Infiniti G35 Coupe or Lexus IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 11:50 AM
Irishfan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by linh811
I have a friend making just above minimum wage driving an IS250... I would have still bought the IS350 had it cost $50k.... Point is, his car looks EXACTLY like my car.

True enough! I dunno, I think it's a great-looking car, regardless.

But all else equal, I'd pick the IS every time over the Infiniti...EVERYBODY in this area has the G. Doesn't make it any less of a good car, but still.
Old 01-12-07, 11:56 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

If the IS350 had a coupe and a rev-match auto (Lexus stubbornly won't not offer MT), I would get the IS hand down.. but since there is none.. the G35 coupe gets my vote. It looks so much better... not only that, it also comes with an MT as an option and its auto can rev-match.
Old 01-12-07, 12:00 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by homer4598
Not in the same ballpark? I'm sure the G35C handles better than the IS350 (not sure if you have sport or luxury), but not THAT much better.
I had a 6mt coupe with the suspension fully modified (lowered, stiffened, sway bars, etc.) with lightweight forged wheels and it handled very well.

I haven't taken my IS out to the track yet but if it doesn't handle as well, it is definitely not that far off. I can take the on ramp on the way home a little faster than I could with the G but I can't say anything about transitions, etc.
Old 01-12-07, 12:07 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by al503
I agree with magellan. I started a reply about this last night but we just don't know enough about the '08 to come to any type of conclusion. Having owned 2 g35's before my IS, I can relate my experience with them but it may or it may not be apples and oranges to the '08 (again, because we don't know enough about it.)

What I can relate that may carry over:
1. Warranty and service after the sale: there is no comparison here. Lexus>Infiniti. The difference is night and day. In short, Infiniti works against you. Lexus works with and for you. I had to get the factory service manual and start fixing things myself as the dealership couldn't fix anything.
2. Styling: Coupe>IS. Even the current coupe trumps the IS (and most other cars out there) by a wide margin.
3. Quality of materials/workmanship and features: Lexus>Infiniti by a wide margin. Just little things like the seat warmer actually staying at a constant warm temp. I can drive on a broken gravel road without a single rattle in the IS. Both my G's had multiple constant rattles on a flat highway.

Once you own a G, you'll realize why the price of admission is less than it's competitors.
+1 - Interesting to see so many of the same views about Infiniti from previous owners like myself on this site. I was actually seriously contemplating getting a '07G even after my ordeal [had one on order actually], but driving a '07G35S for a week killed that idea off quickly – same old BS.

Infiniti has so much potential but it just comes up short every time; and like you said the service is inexcusable - you get what you pay for.

Last edited by MLevinson; 01-12-07 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-12-07, 12:07 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by linh811
My 03 G35C handles WAY better than my IS350. They're not even in the same ballpark.....

The 03 coupe is most likely going to be traded in for an 08 coupe.

I know I"ll be flamed for this, but I LOVE how Infiniti didn't release a castrated version of their G series (ie IS250). All the G series are 350's, keeps the cost of entry and exclusivity up...

I agree about lexus even making the IS250 to begin with, but you know with toyota everything is about making $$$ and making as much as possible. The IS250 is cheaper and to most people offer at least adequate power so it will sell good and make them $$. If lexus had never made the IS250 to begin with i'd probably already have my IS350 in what i want cuz they would be focusing on making one car, rather then two cars. And really both the G35 and IS350 have compelling reasons to buy either of the two. both cars excel in different areas. The key thing i think with inifinit is how they offer the car with a manual and coupe option, which in this price and category should be options. Toyota i think is still not fully committed to taking over this category by not offering those two options (manual or coupe).
Old 01-12-07, 12:11 PM
IS2Fizzle
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the G35. The exclusivity of having the IS is going down. At least that'll be one less 2 IS I'll see on the street. lol
Old 01-12-07, 12:27 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love these posts, why do you really care what we think unless you are looking to have people stroke your ego..........

If your a true baller you would just buy the skyline and not say anything untill you buy it. Talk is cheap.....

just buy what you think will make you happy.
Old 01-12-07, 01:50 PM
adc
Driver School Candidate

Is Ftw! ..................
Old 01-12-07, 02:29 PM
Irishfan
Driver

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
just buy what you think will make you happy.

F430 Challenge it is!

.....wait...

Old 01-12-07, 05:40 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IS2Fizzle
get the G35. The exclusivity of having the IS is going down. At least that'll be one less 2 IS I'll see on the street. lol
and you think the new G will be exclusive forever, the current G is all over the place, same thing will happen to the new G
Old 01-12-07, 05:44 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Easy vote for me...gotta have the 4 doors!
Old 01-12-07, 05:51 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Both are comparible in power, but Lexus reliability is what gives me peace of mind. Got to go with the IS!
Old 01-12-07, 06:29 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNut13
Both are comparible in power, but Lexus reliability is what gives me peace of mind. Got to go with the IS!
I've had 3 Lexus and 3 Infiniti cars. I see no gap betwwen the 2 in terms of reliability. My G35 has only been in the shop for a rubber seal change. The J30 and G20 I had years ago were super reliable. Looking at what's going on with the modern Lexi, Infiniti may even be more reliable at this point. Infiniti's main problem is cheap interior materials....cheap paint too.
Old 01-12-07, 07:26 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
and you think the new G will be exclusive forever, the current G is all over the place, same thing will happen to the new G

+1 They're everywhere. Though I do like the new concept coupe, it's sexy as hell but in all reality IMO they need to load em up and make em fast so they keep the price up so every third car you pass isn't the same one you have..Now the IS is everywhere too.
Old 01-12-07, 09:33 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TommyLex
i dont think G35 could compete with IS lol
simply because the image i hard infiniti, still crappy
and somehow indeed in their policy statement they mentioned they wanna be second to lexus

so the question s, you wanna drive a top jap brand lexus or second one
If one day Infiniti surpass Lexus in brand image, I bet you would switch to Infiniti immediately because number one seems pretty important to you.

Quick Reply: 2008 Infiniti G35 Coupe or Lexus IS 350