Old 01-12-07 | 08:27 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
Here's the auction. Thanks, GNN60GT500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9004791&rd=1,1
No problem- here are my initial impressions-

1. pictures taken of wet car- car in rain- a wet car can hide things-
I personally wont bid on a car if the only pictures are of a wet car, car in the rain-

2. you say I am selling my car, but need to give a reason why-
With such a new car, people are going to assume its because there is something you dont like about it, or you are having problems-

I suggest- Im having a baby, I was injured and can no longer drive stick, I lost my job, if you dont give a convincing story of how you are forced to sell your baby and you really dont want too, people will assume the worst on such a new car-

3. Interior pics, adjust the photos so the interior looks more "black" I almost thought it looked dark blue in the pics- you can play with the colors on the photos-

4. (this one is not as important but can have an effect) low feedback- there are many people who will hesitate on an ad for something this big when feedback is only 2- but not much you can do about that- feedback optimally would be at least 12-15- all positive-

Basically you didnt give your car enough sizzle-

talk about how smooth it is, talk about how it gets attention, talk about how much you enjoy driving it, and really dont want to sell it- but you are forced to because-

Talk about how this was the car you always wanted, and how you had to special order it and wait 4 months, exc exc-

The secret to EBAY is to make the ad personal if that makes any sense-

Hope this helps you out-
Old 01-12-07 | 08:32 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

You don't have much feedback. Your rating is only 2, and both of those are old: one transaction more than 6 mos. ago, the other more than a year. That kind of scorecard gives me pause when buying a $200 item, let alone one that's close to 30 grand.
Old 01-12-07 | 08:42 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GNN60GT500
2. you say I am selling my car, but need to give a reason why-
With such a new car, people are going to assume its because there is something you dont like about it, or you are having problems-
He did -- it was in the questions and answers section.

Q: Hello, Can you tell me why ar eyou selling such a new car and also what was the MSRP ? thanks
Jan-03-07

A: Hi wonderful8. I have an opportunity to buy another car that I've had my eyes on for some time, but need to sell my current car first. Yeah, I'm a bit of a car nut, and move in and out of cars with more frequency than most people. :-) Also, the original MSRP/sticker was $34,049.
Any time I'm considering bidding on an item that has been re-listed, I go back and compare the two auctions. Any discrepancy is a HUGE red flag.
Old 01-12-07 | 08:51 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
He did -- it was in the questions and answers section.

Any time I'm considering bidding on an item that has been re-listed, I go back and compare the two auctions. Any discrepancy is a HUGE red flag.
he should have put the reason in the original auction description-

but his answer still sounds like, this car was good , but I found something better- something I like more-

You have to make it seem like you REALLY dont want to sell your car- that this is your dream car- however....blah blah blah....

if you do relist it, Bichon is right, add more detail, but dont change anything-good point
Old 01-12-07 | 09:11 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm, even though Kbb says your car is worth 29K... Its just too close to the cost of a new IS250MT

New, the MSRP on the IS250MT is $30255. Your cars only options are 18" Chrome wheels and a spoiler.

If someone wanted to order a 250MT, they could probably get $1500 off... and that would make the car the same price as your car. (minus the chrome wheels and spoiler)

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-12-07 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-12-07 | 09:28 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Good points, guys. And many thanks for the ad analysis. If I decide to re-list on eBay, or if I go the autotrader route, I'll definitely change my ad accordingly.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Hmmm, even though Kbb says your car is worth 29K... Its just too close to the cost of a new IS250MT

New, the MSRP on the IS250MT is $30255. Your cars only options are 18" Chrome wheels and a spoiler.

If someone wanted to order a 250MT, they could probably get $1500 off... and that would make the car the same price as your car. (minus the chrome wheels and spoiler)
I hear what you're saying, and that was something always in the back of my mind. I felt that $28K (my reserve) was still fair given that the car is in such low supply and high demand, and that it's still so new (<1 year old, only 7315 miles). The chrome wheels were a $2200 option, plus $700 for the 18" wheel/summer tire option, and the spoiler another $355.

Last edited by ff_; 01-12-07 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-12-07 | 10:16 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Ebay works great for hard to find cars, but cars that are more common you tend to have alot of cheap skates looking for the cheapest deal, not nessacarily the best value. I sold my denali on ebay because locally the market is flooded, but i did find someone who was willing to buy it......
I agree, dont put a buy it now, use "make an offer" you may be suprised. I agree with GT500, its about how you write and present your listing. Look at how the dealers do there ads, they are flashy with alot of details.

It is not cheap to sell a car, usually between 100.00 -300.00 depending on what routes you go, if you are cheap about it and dont pay for the little extras like extra pictures, or the car fax you could be selling yourself short. Also the more pics the better, and high resoloution is the best. I have a good freind of mine who actually makes a living selling hard to find muscle car parts and grosses about 20k a month just using Ebay.

Also dont start your listing at a high amount, people like to bid. So if you are asking 30k for your car dont start it at 28500, start it at 15k and let it work up from there. Use the reserve function and if you offer a buy it now, price it 1-2% less then market value. also toss something in there for free, even if its " ill pick you up from the airport"...
Remeber you are going to pay ebay a commision so incorporate that into your price, but dont be greedy. Also have them pay a 10% non refundable deposit on the car so that way it weeds out the window shoppers.......

Ebay is a great tool if you use it correctly......

maybe have someone else write your ad?

Also extras or dealer options do not always command retail value, you actually end up loosing that money alot of the times. So in general those options loose value just like the car does, if you really want to sell the car state dealer options installed and included with the sale of the vehicle, make it sound like they are getting a deal, not like you are trying to re coup your costs.

Last edited by kilo6_one; 01-12-07 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-12-07 | 10:22 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

$28K is better, I think a Buy it now for 29 is probably what scared people off. Just do what everyone else ahs said for your ebay relisting.

Craiglist is free to post(I think) and autotrader is another good place.
Old 01-12-07 | 10:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I listed my '05 Scion tC on Autotrader, Craigslist, and Cars.com. KBB was ~$15k private party and didn't include Toyota Extra Care 100k mile extended warranty, factory bodykit and spoiler, tint, and a few other minor things. It took three months to sell for $13k. My friends sell new Scions, and they said their November was their worst month ever - 11 units for the entire month. Timing is everything.
Old 01-12-07 | 10:37 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

I listed my last car on autotrader and craigslist. Sold the car to someone who had seen it on craigslist. It's free so it can't hurt.
Old 01-12-07 | 11:07 AM
KMRIS350
Driver

Im not sure if the IS250 is a hard car to find anymore. I can tell you when I was looking for a Black on Black 250 in Sept it was vertualy impossable to find any 250 and all they hard were 350s. Good for my Im glab I got the 350! Anyway I stopped by my local dealership last week to check out some parts and they just got a shipment in. The guy told me they got 36 new 07 IS off the truck and 35 were IS250s.
Old 01-12-07 | 11:41 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

is the asking price under market value? the reason i say that is because almost all dealers i have tsalked to in the past couple of weeks, and its been a lot of them, they all seem to have a lot of new IS250's which they can't wait to unload. So if a potential buyer can get a new one for real cheap through a dealer, your asking price should be low.
Old 01-12-07 | 12:02 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KMRIS350
Im not sure if the IS250 is a hard car to find anymore.
Even with a stick? My local dealer has AWD IS250s lined up like they were a dime-a-dozen, but I've never seen one with a manual transmission sitting on the lot.
Old 01-12-07 | 12:10 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

i just talked to a dealer that had three stick IS250's on their lot, including one that was fully fully loaded and even had the laser cruise control thing. unfortunate cuz i have no desire for an IS250.
Old 01-12-07 | 12:20 PM
Maximus350
Pole Position

I sold my 06 350 on Craigslist. It took less than 24hrs It helps if you have a good price on it.

Quick Reply: Why didn't my IS250 sell?