IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Remote Car Starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 12:39 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote Car Starter

Has anyone here had a remote car starter installed yet? Is anyone trying to charge you extra because of the push button start? How much are they running?

Dont you think with all the electronic bells and whistles on the 250/350 a remote starter should be standard...or at least an option? I mean a Pontiac G6 has them!
Old 01-12-07, 12:56 PM
Irishfan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remote start is terrible for your car, since it warms up the engine while not under load. Plus, I think there's some sort of issue with legality, since you're having an unattended car started? Not sure how GM got around this (or even if there is an issue to get around, I could be completely imagining this).
Old 01-12-07, 01:30 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Wouldn't they have to bypass the cars security, as you can only start the car when the Key Fob is in the car. Why would you want this?
Old 01-12-07, 01:40 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Hey that legal thing never came across my mind but your right there is one.. 2 days ago in my city this guy went outside and started his car with a key, locked the doors with it running because he had another key.. Comes out and the car is gone, police spot it and chase the girl who plows into a local restaurant. They now are considering pressing charges on the man for leaving his car unattended while running..
Old 01-12-07, 02:00 PM
benlee02
Rookie

For legal issue, you can't install autostart for manuals. but if you car is an auto, you can install a remote start for your car. The main reason why it is illegal to install remote start for manuals is becasue some people park their car in gear and when they remote start their car, it jumps foward and hits what ever is in front of them.
Old 01-12-07, 10:35 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....22&ModelID=151

Does anyone now anything about the Lexus Smart Key - Remote Start Set?
Old 01-13-07, 07:14 AM
Frisco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The remote start for the GM's are pretty nice. I have a friend at ork that just bought a ne Tahoe. If it's cold outside it will set the heater and turn on the heated seats. For me though it wouldn't be practical since I park in my garage and don't want a running car to fill the garage with exhaust.
Old 01-15-07, 09:35 AM
nabisco
Lead Lap

BUMP... I'm really interested in this if anyone has some info to share that would be fabulous!

Originally Posted by Nabisco

Does anyone now anything about the Lexus Smart Key - Remote Start Set?
Old 01-17-07, 02:13 AM
QATARI
Driver School Candidate

i am wondering if anyone has tried this product on IS350 or IS250
Old 01-17-07, 05:08 AM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Same goes for me. I want remote start!

Originally Posted by QATARI

i am wondering if anyone has tried this product on IS350 or IS250
Old 01-17-07, 09:26 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Last I heard, Carson actually has one of these in stock but it's never been tested on a USDM 2IS.

Javier
Old 01-17-07, 09:44 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I think the legality issue has to do with the car being driveable when it is started remotely (steering wheel unlocked, ability to take the car out of park, etc.). I doubt the G6 allow the car to actually be driven without the FOB present.
Old 01-17-07, 01:45 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

1. Remote starters do work for Manuals.
2. A remote start doesn't necessarily mean the car is driveable.

A key has to be put in the ignition and turned before the car can be driveable. In the case of our IS's, the key has to be in the general area that it detects before we can take off.

The situation with that gentlemen is, his key was in the car. If you get into a car which has been autostarted (i think that's a word). Once you press the break pedal to put the car into gear it shuts down.

Since I live in Canada, our winters are pretty harsh, so my LEXUS RX330 has a remote start, and my '03 A4 also had a remote start. Plus, my buddy is a installer so he's done this stuff.
Old 01-17-07, 02:34 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by r1lee
1. Remote starters do work for Manuals.
2. A remote start doesn't necessarily mean the car is driveable.

A key has to be put in the ignition and turned before the car can be driveable. In the case of our IS's, the key has to be in the general area that it detects before we can take off.

The situation with that gentlemen is, his key was in the car. If you get into a car which has been autostarted (i think that's a word). Once you press the break pedal to put the car into gear it shuts down.

Since I live in Canada, our winters are pretty harsh, so my LEXUS RX330 has a remote start, and my '03 A4 also had a remote start. Plus, my buddy is a installer so he's done this stuff.
Yes remote starters do work for manuals.

you just have to use the NEG output from the remote starter and tap it into the clutch switch. This will simulate a depressed clutch.

For the 2IS Automatics, you will have to use the same NEG output from the remote starter and tap it into the brake switch. This will simulate a depressed brake pedal.
Old 01-17-07, 04:59 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istundra
Yes remote starters do work for manuals.

you just have to use the NEG output from the remote starter and tap it into the clutch switch. This will simulate a depressed clutch.

For the 2IS Automatics, you will have to use the same NEG output from the remote starter and tap it into the brake switch. This will simulate a depressed brake pedal.
I don't think there was anyone saying a remote start wouldn't work on a manual, but it isn't a good idea. If someone does leave the tranny in gear (like I've always done), then a remote start could be very dangerous.

Quick Reply: Remote Car Starter