IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any previous STi owners here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-07, 09:03 AM
SILes300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any previous STi owners here?

I'm thinking of selling my IS250AWD to a family member and interested in getting either an 07 STi or STi limited. Has anyone had any regrets for selling their STi for an ISx50?

Here are my requirements, the STi fits them perfectly.
1)Turbocharged engine
2)Manual transmission
3)Reliability

Please keep the "Lexus is better than Subaru, STi interiors are crap, etc" comments to yourselves. I know what the pro's and con's of both vehicles are. I know the Lexus excels in driving comfort while the STi is for driving excitement. I just want to know if anyone here has made the trade and are unhappy with their decisions.

I figure my payments to be roughly the same for the STi as compared to my IS250AWD. I just feel, "If I'm going to be making these kind of payments, why not pay for the car that I enjoy to drive?"

Thanks
Old 01-13-07, 09:08 AM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Hey man I think you totally should do it based on your "requirements".. Honeslty if I had got a 250 I would have regretted it too and probably be in something different, however this is only if you can stand the new body of the STI. So good luck
Old 01-13-07, 09:16 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Go for the STi!
Old 01-13-07, 09:30 AM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off, both the IS250 and the STi are both great cars. I personally would much rather have an STi than an IS250 most of the time, but sometimes the luxery of the IS250 would be necessary.

I Think the STi is much more fun and much more exciting to drive, but i think the only regret you will have is the non-luxory factor. I dont know how your going to go from the best luxory available, to none. Other than that, i think you'll have a great time with the STi.

why not an Evo?

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-13-07, 09:32 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bygtimaish
first off, both the IS250 and the STi are both great cars. I personally would much rather have an STi than an IS250 most of the time, but sometimes the luxery of the IS250 would be necessary.

I Think the STi is much more fun and much more exciting to drive, but i think the only regret you will have is the non-luxory factor. I dont know how your going to go from the best luxory available, to none. Other than that, i think you'll have a great time with the STi.

why not an Evo?

Good luck with your decision.
I'm guessing not the evo because it's too "boy racer" in appearance. I'm looking forward though to seeing the EVO X at the detroit autoshow next weekend. From what I have seen online it has been upscaled quite a bit both exterier and interior. Thank god! That was my biggest complaint when I had my EVO VIII. The interior was aweful!
Old 01-13-07, 09:51 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

I would take an STI over an IS250 any day of the week-

Im a horsepower junky-
Old 01-13-07, 09:57 AM
Soda
Pole Position

M6! Yeah! And if that one is outta the question, STi.
Old 01-13-07, 02:22 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Ha.......I am going the opposite direction of you:

I currently own a STi and am planning to switch to a IS-F next year because I want an Auto tranny, I am tired of shifting

The STi is an awesome car, I LOVES everything about it up to this point, the only thing that make me want to switch is I am tired of stepping on the clutch pedal. The car is extremely fun to drive and as reliable as a Lexus from my personal experience.

But yes, as far as car building goes, Lexus is up another level from Subaru, the interior of the STi is decent for an econobox racer, but obviously you can't compare to a luxury car. The EVO interior is crap.
Old 01-13-07, 02:40 PM
Optimus
Driver School Candidate

I had an 05 STi and just traded for an IS350. I can see moving towards a faster car stock, but it sounds like your over stating the STi. Plus, there will be a new one announced in April.

Anyways, on STI:
Pros:
4wd
Handles good
Is quick (about same as IS350)

Cons:
Not as modifieable as everyone thinks (read, stock turbo and heads suck)
Uncomfortable
Rattles like a tin can (didn't bother me that much, but any time someone got in my car, they thought the windows would fall out)
Hummer like fuel economy

The only think I like better on the STi are the breaks and the handling was slightly better...but the sacrifice with the handling was a jaw jarring ride (I had coil overs). Plus the service as Subaru was no where near Lexus.

If you are only getting the car because it is faster, you'll like it but get used to it quickly, and you'll miss what you had in the Lexus. Remember 90% of the time you are driving you are just cruising along and remind you why you miss your IS.
Old 01-13-07, 02:58 PM
6MTIS250
Driver

i don't have a Sti before
but i had a completed build up S14 before, so does reach your requirements :P only RWD v.s. 4WD
Turbo charge engine /MT /Reliability(had it for almost 3yr no problem)
and i down grade to my IS250, cuz i think IS250 will have some potential in the future, just going to wait and see
but Turbocharge Car is fun, IS and Sti are complete different car, you need to really take your time and think about it if you want the IS or Sti
if you going for Sti i will say wait bit,cuz i think they going to change the pig nose look soon,but thats if you want something different

Last edited by 6MTIS250; 01-13-07 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-13-07, 04:34 PM
IStreefidy
Pole Position

I would definetely take the STi over the 250! Im addicted to power and haveing a manual is really nice. I would do it without a doubt!
Old 01-13-07, 05:17 PM
andone
Lead Lap

The Sti a great car but the Alfa Romeo body is ugly on the 06 sti. If you should get a sti it should be the 2005 one or you can wait 2 more years for the 2010 model. In 2010 the STI should have have a new body design because every 4 years they remodel the car. In the past I wanted to buy the STI but once i saw the Alfa Romeo design i quickly change my mind. I really like the STI having 300 hp, 300 torque and manual but the 3 mouth body really isn't eye catching at all.
Old 01-13-07, 05:25 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't have an STi, but do have a garden variety WRX. I actually feel the WRX is more fun to drive than my IS350 on most occasions. Seats are more supportive and comfortable, and steering is more precise with just the right feedback (too much boost on the Lexus). The IS certainly exceeds the WRX in fit and finish and overall 'fineness'.

If you don't need the Luxury of the Lexus the Subaru is a viable option. And they are essentially as reliable as an anvil.
Old 01-13-07, 05:31 PM
04wrxsti
Driver School Candidate

2004 wrxsti wrb, i miss my alot. http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2109451858
Old 01-13-07, 05:32 PM
smgis250
Driver

i will take sti over 250 but for 350 i will take the 350 over sti...!! they are two difference class but anyway if you go for luxery N/A car stay with Isx50! But If you looking for tubro car then evo or sti!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Any previous STi owners here?