IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What am I getting into? (maintainance)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-07, 04:24 PM
revhi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats nothing compared to getting a new of tires for my G35 coupe. It cost about 1200 installed and I was going through all four every 15K miles.

But yeah, if you get the IS250 awd, the tires are cheaper than the 18's. Each tire with the 18's are gonna cost around 200 bucks a pop for a decent tire.

I think oil changes are about 50 bucks but then again, its every 5000 miles.

And yeah bmw's are hard to maintain but everything is free if the car is brand new up to 50,000 miles.[oil change, brakes, ect]

Originally Posted by amit510
What kinda of tires do you get?

Four tires (z-rated) usually cost around $550 to $600!
Old 01-14-07, 05:09 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tcho82
Which Dealer??
Lexus of Highland Park. I had not been to the dealership for a while. So they sent me a coupon saying "We want you back". This is for my 2001 RX300 btw. The $25 included oil change/filter and top off all fluids. However that was the cheapest service I have gotten from them. Last year I got raped with a $900 bill (new rotors, brakes, etc...).
Old 01-14-07, 08:50 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Highland Park raped me on a $1300 bill on my 92 LS.... The gave me a quote of $7000 when I brought in the car for a checkup.... Car has run flawless even though I didn't get anything that they "suggested." I still question whether or not I needed the power steering pump that was leaking, I didn't visually confirm that it was leaking, but oh well. Spilled milk.

Toyota did an oil change for me for $28 on my LS. Highland park wanted like $50, I think Bredeman wanted $45....

Haven't brought in the IS for an oil change yet though.
Old 01-14-07, 09:06 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kinda of tires do you get?

Four tires (z-rated) usually cost around $550 to $600!
Sure you can.......if you want junk. Top tires cost bucks. Your driving a 38/41K car.......treat it like one or get the Honda with the Khumos and be happy.

Those stock Bridgestones can run you 250 to 350 EACH but there made in Japan in the same factory that makes their F1 tires. They stick like glue on the street and are very safe.

It's so much fun to read many of the posts here about how I'm going to do this and that and when it comes down to it most of you go for the junk. How funny.
Old 01-15-07, 09:44 AM
crentist
Driver School Candidate

I was at Power Toyota Irvine yesterday and they told me they couldn't service my IS250 because Lexus made them stop doing it. I was bummed.
Old 01-15-07, 09:48 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Default Not True

Originally Posted by 15951
Everyone seems to be watering it down a bit. Oil changes on a Lexus are expensive, unless you go somewhere other than a dealer. The tires are expensive, and will have to be changed more often than on most cars. The brakes wear quickly, and they're expensive to replace as well.

It's a great car, and my local Lexus dealer has been great (so far), but I don't for a second try to water it down and compare it to maintenance costs on other vehicles I've owned.
Oil changes at Lexus are not all expensive. It all depends on your dealership. Some dealerships charge $30-40 for an oil change. Sure its more than the $15-20 you'll pay at Jiffy Lube, but do you really want them messing with your Lexus? At least while you are at your Lexus dealer you can sit down get some free drinks, snacks, wi-fi. The Lexus dealer here even has a little deli and a gelato stand.
Old 01-15-07, 10:46 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy premium tires and I also buy mid grade tires and I also buy cheap tires. I've tried them all. On my LS400 I have Michelin Pilot Sport All seasons, they are a great expensive all season tire. They are the only tire set I have on the LS and I wanted the best in an all season tire, the performance and the light snow traction. On my S2000, I had the bridgestone s02's a great summer tire but very short tread life. Also very expensive. Went to the Yokohama Avid V4s, a great all season tire at about half the cost. Sure it wasn't an S02 but I don't think I would call it a Cheap tire, just because it costs half the price. It was fine to run in the summer and gave plenty of grip. I later switched to larger rims and got Bridgestone RE050's a great performing summer tire, with DECENT tread life, but again expensive.

I will state that Premium performance tires are the best of the best. But there are plenty of very good performance tires that cost about half the price. The Kumho Ecsta 712 is a great summer tire also, with plenty of grip. It also depends on what kind of driving you do. If you aren't tracking the car or autocrossing, I don't think a high performance summer tire is worth the money you spend on it compared to a "cheap" summer tire like a Kumho. If you aren't going to extract its full potential on the track, then you really don't reap any benefit by buying expensive high performance tires.

However, not all tires are made equal. And not everyone's experience with a particular brand is the same. We all drive in different conditions and with different levels of skill. It doesn't matter if this is a $10,000 car or a $100,000 car. You should purchase the kind of tire that suits your driving style. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a $100 tire vs. a $200 tire if that tire works perfectly fine for your needs.

There is no need for pretentious comments. We're all driving glorified Toyota's....
Old 01-15-07, 11:44 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no need for pretentious comments. We're all driving glorified Toyota's....[/QUOTE]

Than driving an Audi is just a glorified VW............right! NOT!!!!

Nothing pretentious here. I've used Khumos on my VW GTI VR6 and they stuck like glue and wore out much quicker than the 300 wear indicator would seem to say.

Your correct in that the tire you buy is whatever floats your ship.
Old 01-15-07, 01:00 PM
ckaught78
Rookie

Originally Posted by revhi
And yeah bmw's are hard to maintain but everything is free if the car is brand new up to 50,000 miles.[oil change, brakes, ect]
But aren't service/oil change intervals for the newer BMW's 15,000 miles, so really they are only giving you 3 oil changes. It is more of a marketing ploy than anything else.
Old 01-15-07, 02:40 PM
amit510
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ckaught78
But aren't service/oil change intervals for the newer BMW's 15,000 miles, so really they are only giving you 3 oil changes. It is more of a marketing ploy than anything else.
Yeah ur right. I change my BMW's oil after 15000 miles or whenever the light comes on.

But it is not cheap... when mechanic saw that I have brought a BMW for a oil change he raised the price from his standard price which was posted on the board. I asked him why are you charging more... he replies: because its BMW and they cost more (starting giving me all that stupid BS stuff). I just left after that...
Old 01-15-07, 04:12 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy premium tires and I also buy mid grade tires and I also buy cheap tires. I've tried them all. On my LS400 I have Michelin Pilot Sport All seasons, they are a great expensive all season tire. They are the only tire set I have on the LS and I wanted the best in an all season tire, the performance and the light snow traction. On my S2000, I had the bridgestone s02's a great summer tire but very short tread life. Also very expensive. Went to the Yokohama Avid V4s, a great all season tire at about half the cost. Sure it wasn't an S02 but I don't think I would call it a Cheap tire, just because it costs half the price. It was fine to run in the summer and gave plenty of grip. I later switched to larger rims and got Bridgestone RE050's a great performing summer tire, with DECENT tread life, but again expensive.

I will state that Premium performance tires are the best of the best. But there are plenty of very good performance tires that cost about half the price. The Kumho Ecsta 712 is a great summer tire also, with plenty of grip. It also depends on what kind of driving you do. If you aren't tracking the car or autocrossing, I don't think a high performance summer tire is worth the money you spend on it compared to a "cheap" summer tire like a Kumho. If you aren't going to extract its full potential on the track, then you really don't reap any benefit by buying expensive high performance tires.

However, not all tires are made equal. And not everyone's experience with a particular brand is the same. We all drive in different conditions and with different levels of skill. It doesn't matter if this is a $10,000 car or a $100,000 car. You should purchase the kind of tire that suits your driving style. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a $100 tire vs. a $200 tire if that tire works perfectly fine for your needs.

There is no need for pretentious comments. We're all driving glorified Toyota's....

very nicely put.
Old 01-15-07, 06:07 PM
amit510
Driver School Candidate

Thanks For Your Input!
Old 01-15-07, 07:29 PM
Ericm
Driver School Candidate

(on my bmw 323CI I have to change both everytime I have to change the brake pads and plus the sensors).

Just researching and need some help on making my decision on getting the IS250...
I think you will find the maintenance a lot less than the BMW... Not quite as complex to work on.
Old 01-16-07, 03:38 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by revhi
Thats nothing compared to getting a new of tires for my G35 coupe. It cost about 1200 installed and I was going through all four every 15K miles.

But yeah, if you get the IS250 awd, the tires are cheaper than the 18's. Each tire with the 18's are gonna cost around 200 bucks a pop for a decent tire.

I think oil changes are about 50 bucks but then again, its every 5000 miles.

Nothing is free in this world my friend, specially coming from BMW. You're financing the maintenance in your monthly installments. As a consecuence you'll end up paying a higher maintenance cost, higher insurance cost and less money on the bank. For me, at the end of the road, it's not about money but about principles. If you like this kind of a deal, go ahead make them happy but for me it is madness.
Old 01-16-07, 05:42 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Lets just say...

Oil change at my two local Lexus Dealerships were $140. LOL.

Toyota Dealership 35 <--- With the right filter.

I'm taking my car to the Toyota dealership any time there is anything wrong with it! Outside of warranty work that is.

Quick Reply: What am I getting into? (maintainance)