IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What am I getting into? (maintainance)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 05:52 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
The tires are expensive, and will have to be changed more often than on most cars.
how's that? other cars have the exact same tires as the IS.....

that's a false statement...

cars with performance tires will go thru the tires at the same rate (assuming its the same tire), quicker than all season, but nothing crazy.

Last edited by bagwell; 01-16-07 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-16-07, 06:22 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcho82
Highland Park raped me on a $1300 bill on my 92 LS.... The gave me a quote of $7000 when I brought in the car for a checkup.... Car has run flawless even though I didn't get anything that they "suggested." I still question whether or not I needed the power steering pump that was leaking, I didn't visually confirm that it was leaking, but oh well. Spilled milk.

Toyota did an oil change for me for $28 on my LS. Highland park wanted like $50, I think Bredeman wanted $45....

Haven't brought in the IS for an oil change yet though.
Which Toyota dealership did you got to? I wonder if they will do work on an 01 RX300.
Old 01-16-07, 07:20 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
how's that? other cars have the exact same tires as the IS.....

that's a false statement...

cars with performance tires with go thru the tires at the same rate (assuming its the same tire), quicker than all season, but nothing crazy.
It's not a false statement. Take a look at the wear rate of an average tire, and compare it to the 15-20k we got out of ours. That's called a higher rate of wear.

I didn't make the comment specific to cars with performance tires, but to cars generally. I don't mind "paying to play", but if you don't find 15k tire life too be on the short side, you have a very limited frame of reference.
Old 01-16-07, 08:01 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Which Toyota dealership did you got to? I wonder if they will do work on an 01 RX300.
They told me they work on all Lexus models. Give them a call or an email. Autonation's Libertyville Toyota.
Old 01-16-07, 08:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

It's not a false statement. Take a look at the wear rate of an average tire, and compare it to the 15-20k we got out of ours. That's called a higher rate of wear.

I didn't make the comment specific to cars with performance tires, but to cars generally. I don't mind "paying to play", but if you don't find 15k tire life too be on the short side, you have a very limited frame of reference.
I understand - but you make it sound like the IS specifically burns thru tires. BMW 3 series will go thru tires at the same rate, as will Mercedes C230, Audi A4 etc etc....once a set of tires need replacing, you CAN switch the tires to ones with a higher treadwear rating (these ratings are NOT accurate by the way).

Continental ContiExtremeContact have a treadwear rating of 400 and cost $112 each for 225/40ZR18 and $166 each for 255/40ZR18.
Old 01-16-07, 10:06 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcho82
They told me they work on all Lexus models. Give them a call or an email. Autonation's Libertyville Toyota.
Next time I am up for service I will check em out. Thanks!
Old 01-16-07, 10:47 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,422 Posts

I understand - but you make it sound like the IS specifically burns thru tires. BMW 3 series will go thru tires at the same rate, as will Mercedes C230, Audi A4 etc etc....once a set of tires need replacing, you CAN switch the tires to ones with a higher treadwear rating (these ratings are NOT accurate by the way).

Continental ContiExtremeContact have a treadwear rating of 400 and cost $112 each for 225/40ZR18 and $166 each for 255/40ZR18.
The OP's question was not "how does the IS250 compare to others in class" it was:
What am I getting into? (maintainance) - I am thinking about getting the IS250 and kinda worried about how much is it going to cost me on the maintainance every month or after couple months how much it would be?
So comparing to other class members is pointless. On an absolute scale, tires will be MUCH more expensive than the average compact sedan. Oil changes will be about the same depending on where you have them done, and brakes will also be much more expensive (based on Lexus's warning in the sales brochure - brake pads may last less than 20k miles and the rotors less than 50k miles). Air filters and such are all about the same, with the exception of the Lexus cabin air filter which are still found mostly in luxury cars, not in the cheaper models.

So the Lexus will cost more to maintain than a Camry/Accord/Grand AM etc., etc.. It will be cheaper than a BMW unless you purchase BMW's scheduled maintenance program, and about the same as the rest of the luxury class entry level sedans.

And the Continentals are second tier rubber, not first tier like the OEM Bridgestones. You might as well have included Falken, Riken, Kumho and others as they are even cheaper.
Old 01-16-07, 11:38 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So comparing to other class members is pointless. On an absolute scale, tires will be MUCH more expensive than the average compact sedan. Oil changes will be about the same depending on where you have them done, and brakes will also be much more expensive (based on Lexus's warning in the sales brochure - brake pads may last less than 20k miles and the rotors less than 50k miles). Air filters and such are all about the same, with the exception of the Lexus cabin air filter which are still found mostly in luxury cars, not in the cheaper models.

So the Lexus will cost more to maintain than a Camry/Accord/Grand AM etc., etc.. It will be cheaper than a BMW unless you purchase BMW's scheduled maintenance program, and about the same as the rest of the luxury class entry level sedans.

And the Continentals are second tier rubber, not first tier like the OEM Bridgestones. You might as well have included Falken, Riken, Kumho and others as they are even cheaper.
you compared it to a Camry/Accord/Grand Am...I compared it to similar upscale cars...and in his initial post even the OP compared it to a 328 so I have no idea what you're talking about.

and that's 100% opinionated on the Continental tires....apparently Porsche/BMW/Mercedes think Continental tires are pretty good!
Old 01-16-07, 03:47 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

you compared it to a Camry/Accord/Grand Am...I compared it to similar upscale cars...and in his initial post even the OP compared it to a 328 so I have no idea what you're talking about.

and that's 100% opinionated on the Continental tires....apparently Porsche/BMW/Mercedes think Continental tires are pretty good!
Good grief. The point of my original response was to demonstrate that, relatively speaking, it is costly to own a Lexus IS. The car goes through tires rather quickly, brakes rather quickly, requires premium fuel, and is costly to maintain at the dealership comparatively. Drive a "regular guy" car for awhile, like a Camry, and you'll see the difference.

It's not a knock against the car, it's a fact. When I see people violently disagreeing with these types of basics, it makes me wonder if they have any sense of reality.
Old 01-16-07, 06:40 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Good grief. The point of my original response was to demonstrate that, relatively speaking, it is costly to own a Lexus IS. The car goes through tires rather quickly, brakes rather quickly, requires premium fuel, and is costly to maintain at the dealership comparatively. Drive a "regular guy" car for awhile, like a Camry, and you'll see the difference.

It's not a knock against the car, it's a fact. When I see people violently disagreeing with these types of basics, it makes me wonder if they have any sense of reality.
This could be said of any rear wheel drive performance sedan. Any rear wheel drive car goes through tires faster than any front wheel drive camry or accord will. Its part of the NORMAL costs associated with driving a car that handles better. Premium fuel is also a normal cost associated with driving a higher performing car. I wonder if it is really NECESSARY on the IS250, but it might hurt gas mileage a little if you went with normal octane. While the car's scheduled maint. packages might be expensive at the dealership, a lot of the normal items can be done for nominal costs at any competent shop. You don't NEED a lexus trained mechanic to change the car's oil, rotate tires, or even flush some fluids. That's about the biggest maintenance you'll have to do for the first few years any how. Sure a brake job might cost some change if you wear your brakes down very fast, but if you aren't tracking the car, and don't drive like a moron your brakes will last quite sometime.

My S2000 went for 55K miles without needing a brake job done, and that was with spirited driving and a track day or two thrown in.

Bottom line is. You want a high performing sedan that will be reliable with average maint costs. The Lexus is your car. You want a high performing sedan with lower maint. costs get a new BMW(but only if you'll sell before the warranty is up). With the BMW you'll still go through Tires the same as any other rear wheel drive car. Sure the maintenance is "free" but you've already pre-paid for it in the extra cash you put down from the start....

Get yourself a Lexus and be happy. If true total cost to own is a concern, then a Camry or Accord is what you're looking for. But in terms of a sports sedan with rear wheel drive, you can't get much better than the Lexus.
Old 01-16-07, 06:45 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

I believe everyone is comparing to cars in class simply because the OP has a BMW 323ci, so in reference it would be easiest to compare to something the OP already has.