IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

got a new headunit

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 06:33 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one just like it in the C230 but its a 5435 Eclipse. Overall its a nice and stealthy setup including with the cut.
Old 01-17-07, 06:36 PM
gallantus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
part of the stock player had controls to the main dash above it, ac/emergency lights/bass

so this board was taken out of the stock player, and relocated to behind the dash.

yes i can still use bass/treb/fade/balance and all that, yes i could still use the volume on my steering wheel

Questions about your install: So you took out the stock CD player, replaced it with the eclipse 5500. So I assumed that you have a harness to connect the factory speaker (or factory amp, if it uses one) directly to the eclipse, which means you use your eclipse to play your CD/DVD/Radio/MP3/etc and nothing plays out of the stock unit (of course, b/c you ripped it out). Now my questions are:

1) How were you able to connect the steering wheel remote to the eclipse unit to control the volume and CD controls? Did you have to get a special interface? Or does the eclipse have a built-in steering wheel control interface?

2) What happened to the LCD and radio control buttons that was meant for the stock unit? Is it dead and uselss now but still there?

Thanks

Last edited by gallantus; 01-17-07 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-17-07, 06:37 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Also you can hack in and watch your DVDs without the screen going blue every ten seconds which gets pretty annoying. Its the same as our navi headunit hack.

Go to MENU
Press VOLUME
Hit the Top left and bottom right hand corner twice (UP DOWN UP DOWN)
Hold OVERIDE for 4 seconds and your done.
Old 01-18-07, 12:18 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=gallantus;2361358]Does either Metra or Scorche have a website? I couldn't find any on google.

http://www.scosche.com/
You can email them about the dash kit on the IS250/350. They may have more info now that CES is over.
Old 01-18-07, 04:39 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, very nice! Congrats on the install. Looks great!

I'm going to wait for the dash kit and then decide what i want to do... I personally like the look of the factory dash. I may just get one of those devices that 'fixes' oem decks audio output and replace everything else in the system (speakers, sub, amps). Aside from that, i'm glad we're starting to get some options for our cars
Old 01-18-07, 04:45 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad to see this since I really regret not getting NAVI and ML. This is also MUCH cheaper than Navi and ML from the factory, and I assume it will have much better controls. I'm still confused by the layout of controls on my base unit. I've never had a stereo that was laid out so weird.
Old 01-18-07, 04:49 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Are there any aftermarket dash kits available for the IS?
Old 01-18-07, 04:50 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

BTW, are you using the factory amp, amp within the head unit, or external aftermarket amps?
Old 01-18-07, 04:59 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
BTW, are you using the factory amp, amp within the head unit, or external aftermarket amps?
everythings factory except the headunit..
Old 01-18-07, 05:22 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I read the thread, but I don't remember if you commented on the change in sound quality. Does it sound any better?
Old 01-18-07, 07:50 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Johnny Boy good job! I was thinking to do the same thing however I can't find any dash kit to fit the double din unit like your setup... where did you get those side cover around your headunit? Also could you please give details for why are you keeping the mainunit and how relocate it? How about the sound? Any good? Compare to the factory mainunit? Thank you... Once again I think your setup is the best so far IMO
Old 01-18-07, 07:52 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISbb
Johnny Boy good job! I was thinking to do the same thing however I can't find any dash kit to fit the double din unit like your setup... where did you get those side cover around your headunit? Also could you please give details for why are you keeping the mainunit and how relocate it? How about the sound? Any good? Compare to the factory mainunit? Thank you... Once again I think your setup is the best so far IMO
sound quality is great, same or better than factory
the shop i went to cut out a custom piece of wood and wrapped it with black leather, it was fitted to cover up the sides

i had to keep the main unit's board so that the ac controls/emergency lights still work, the board is inside the stock unit which was where the navi is. after taking out the board it was hidden behind the dash.

Old 01-18-07, 08:12 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
sound quality is great, same or better than factory
the shop i went to cut out a custom piece of wood and wrapped it with black leather, it was fitted to cover up the sides

i had to keep the main unit's board so that the ac controls/emergency lights still work, the board is inside the stock unit which was where the navi is. after taking out the board it was hidden behind the dash.

So do you have to keep the unit or just the board?
Old 01-18-07, 08:15 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Looks good Johnnyboy!! I really like! You know I wonder if Toyota did that on purpose, they should've reversed the climate control & the CD player in the non navi version just to make it easier to do the aftermarket Navi...
Old 01-18-07, 08:19 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

they should have do that! But in fact they made it that way and we have to live with it...

Quick Reply: got a new headunit