IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

got a new headunit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 09:34 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISbb
So do you have to keep the unit or just the board?
just the board
Old 01-18-07, 11:35 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry for keep asking you question...

So is that hard to install overall? Did you take some pictures during the installation? I believe the people over here will have no idea how to install a aftermarket headunit to an IS250 I have been ask around and no one wanna to do that...

Thank you,
Old 01-19-07, 12:06 AM
sirccchar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice setup, i was regretting not getting the nav, but after seeing this, it's even better. I see ur in cali, wat par, im in the bay area?
Old 01-19-07, 02:13 AM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirccchar
nice setup, i was regretting not getting the nav, but after seeing this, it's even better. I see ur in cali, wat par, im in the bay area?
im in socal, boo to norcal! haha jk

and isbb, i didnt install it, but from what i heard it was pretty hard to figure out

most of the time they were

after 2 days they figured it out
Old 01-19-07, 02:46 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

damn I wish I am in the state... Stero people here don't know **** about IS250 at all... They just said that they are waiting for the factory dash-kit that I don't think will come at all... I ask them to customise the kit and they say LExus is a expensive car they don't wanna to mess up with it... wtf? Anyway is good to see someone did it and I know there still hope in the world...haha
Old 01-19-07, 06:03 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Last summer I installed an Alpine F#1 Status CDA-7990 CD player and PXA-H900 surround sound processor display in my 2IS. I never did get around to making the side trim panels.

I really loved the 7990 but I never did think it looked correct in the 2IS dash. Two months after I did the install Alpine released the VPA-B222 Vehicle Hub Pro that works with a factory audio system. I re-installed the factory head unit and placed the brain unit for the Hub under the passenger seat. I mounted a 5.8" LCD monitor on a cell phone bracket to be the display for the Hub. I mounted the Hub controller on the center console with double sided tape. I can control the whole audio system through the Hub.

Later this year Alpine is releasing a new touchcreen monitor that will take the place of the Hub controller on the center console and will replace the current LCD monitor.
Old 01-19-07, 06:10 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cmusic
Last summer I installed an Alpine F#1 Status CDA-7990 CD player and PXA-H900 surround sound processor display in my 2IS. I never did get around to making the side trim panels.

I really loved the 7990 but I never did think it looked correct in the 2IS dash. Two months after I did the install Alpine released the VPA-B222 Vehicle Hub Pro that works with a factory audio system. I re-installed the factory head unit and placed the brain unit for the Hub under the passenger seat. I mounted a 5.8" LCD monitor on a cell phone bracket to be the display for the Hub. I mounted the Hub controller on the center console with double sided tape. I can control the whole audio system through the Hub.

Later this year Alpine is releasing a new touchcreen monitor that will take the place of the Hub controller on the center console and will replace the current LCD monitor.
Cmusic, ive checked the Alpine website and ive been wondering what the VPA -B222 does. Does it intergrate with the factory audio or do you control every thing via the hub? Can it be intergrated with the factory amps just to add video? Also, the the 5.8" monitor interfere with the opening of the glovebox?

thanks..
Old 01-19-07, 07:32 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_250
Cmusic, ive checked the Alpine website and ive been wondering what the VPA -B222 does. Does it intergrate with the factory audio or do you control every thing via the hub?
The B222 Hub is a master audio/video Alpine Ai-net system controller. It has many inputs for sound and video. It can control any piece of Alpine equipment that is equipped with Ai-net. It controls my Ipod directly through a special cable (the Hub controller overrides the Ipod wheel control and the Ipod’s display is show on the LCD monitor). It can control Sirus, XM, and/or HD radio with extra modules. It controls Alpine 5.1 surround sound processors, Alpine CD changers and DVD players, and anything else that is Alpine Ai-net controlled. It can control any Alpine navigation system. Everything is controlled through the Hub controller and shown on the LCD monitor, except for the factory system. It has RCA outputs to use with other aftermarket amplifiers. It has two A/V inputs that can be used with a Playstation, X-box, a different brand of DVD player, camcorder, or anything else with A/V outputs.

With an additional module you can have additional LCD monitors for the rear seat showing different video and audio. For example you could be showing the Alpine navigation on the front monitor with the factory system audio playing over the main sound system and have a DVD playing for the rear monitors with the DVD sound going to wireless headphones.

It has a two-channel speaker level input for use with factory systems. Since the 2IS factory amp is multi channel, I had to use two 4channel LOCs (line output converters or speaker level to RCA converters) and RCA “Y” cables to blend the front mid/tweeter, front woofer, and sub speaker level outputs into one two-channel stereo signal to go into the Hub. I hit the source button on the Hub controller, choose “FACTORY SYS”, and operate the factory audio system as normal. The Hub’s volume control is the master system volume control, but I usually turn it all the way up and use the factory volume control.

Can it be intergrated with the factory amps just to add video?
With some creative wiring the Hub might be able to be wired into a non-ML 2IS audio system to use the factory amplifier and speakers to add DVD video and sound. Actually you would not need the Hub to do this if you just wanted DVD sound and video. All that would be needed is an aftermarket DVD player, an LCD monitor, and two relay switches. The audio would be in stereo, not surround sound. It would be nearly impossible with the ML system to do this.

The Hub does have a built in 50x4 max power amplifier (18x4 RMS) to power aftermarket speakers if desired.

Also, the the 5.8" monitor interfere with the opening of the glovebox?

The 5.8” monitor does not interfere with the glovebox. The cellphone mounting bracket the monitor is attached to was designed to clear the glovebox door when opened.

thanks..
Your welcome.
Old 01-19-07, 12:33 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

GREAT review on the hub. I thought about doing that, but since I found out the Scorche is coming out with a kit. I am holding off on the system until then.
Old 01-19-07, 04:11 PM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

ur shift **** is funny. can i have it
Old 01-19-07, 07:43 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by solo_stage
ur shift **** is funny. can i have it
no!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-07, 12:25 AM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
just the board
Hey Johnny, after doing some thinking I think I'm going to purchase the same
unit. 1 quick question. Can you play DVD movies while moving?
Also, did you install any backup cameras? Do the shop have any backup camera?

Thanks,
Old 01-20-07, 07:38 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jay1977
Hey Johnny, after doing some thinking I think I'm going to purchase the same
unit. 1 quick question. Can you play DVD movies while moving?
Also, did you install any backup cameras? Do the shop have any backup camera?

Thanks,
yea i can watch dvds while moving
yes i got the backup camera
yes they can get you a backup camera
Old 01-21-07, 11:47 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Cmusic,

Which set-up sounds better? I have the same stock set-up as you. Is the difference worth the work?

Do you have more "hiss" than stock?
Old 01-22-07, 05:49 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Cmusic,

Which set-up sounds better? I have the same stock set-up as you. Is the difference worth the work?

Do you have more "hiss" than stock?
After the Hub I have Alpine 5.1 surround sound processor, Alpine amps, Alpine 10” sub, and Boston Acoustic speakers in the front doors. I also have an Ipod and Alpine DVD changer in the system. The stock system is no slouch but the aftermarket system I have put together sounds much better. It has no hiss at all when playing the DVD or Ipod. The factory deck has a slight amount of hiss in it that can't really be gotten out.

Quick Reply: got a new headunit