IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

got a new headunit

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 12:48 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cmusic,

I agree that the Alpine deck don't look right on the dash. Have you considered a custom glove box door to intergrate the monitor? It will give it the custom/integrated look. A new glove box door could be purchased if need to sell car.

Could you post some pictures of the LOC to Hub install?
Old 01-22-07, 04:19 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Once Alpine ships the new touchscreen monitor I will replace the current 5.8" monitor I have now with it. My Alpine dealer already has one ordered for me. I will also remove the Hub controller on the center console because the touchscreen will operate the whole system. I need the touchscreen to be within reach, which it is with the bracket the current screen is mounted to now. I could mould it into the glovebox door, but it would be too far over to reach easily.

I don't have any pictures of the LOC to Hub wiring because all you would see is two black boxes and wires. I used two David Navone NE-774V LOCs (one on the front mid/tweeter and front woofer, and two channels of the other one on the sub channels) coming from the factory amp and soldered each output wire (I cut off the RCA plugs on the LOC outputs) together down to two stereo wires. Those wires go into the Hub's stereo factory system input.
Old 01-22-07, 04:29 PM
dainese954
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man do u mind pm me how much everything cost u? thanks
Old 01-24-07, 08:47 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cmusic
I really loved the 7990 but I never did think it looked correct in the 2IS dash. Two months after I did the install Alpine released the VPA-B222 Vehicle Hub Pro that works with a factory audio system. I re-installed the factory head unit and placed the brain unit for the Hub under the passenger seat. I mounted a 5.8" LCD monitor on a cell phone bracket to be the display for the Hub. I mounted the Hub controller on the center console with double sided tape. I can control the whole audio system through the Hub.

Later this year Alpine is releasing a new touchcreen monitor that will take the place of the Hub controller on the center console and will replace the current LCD monitor.
I was looking at the VPA-B222 manual on the Alpine website, how hard is it to install and merge with the factory system?

Love the setup and I've been unsatisfied with all the alternatives I've tried so far to hookup XM and my iPod. Had Alpine equipment in my Jeep previously and loved the iPod integration and XM integration. Since I don't have Nav the OEM XM unit isn't attractive since it lacks so many features including basics like scrolling text and just plugging the iPod into the AUX port works but its not what I prefer.
Old 01-24-07, 11:35 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

I’ve been doing car audio installs as a hobby for almost 17 years. To me installing the Hub was not too hard because I know Alpine products very well and did my electronic wiring homework on the 2IS before I started installing it. But I would rate it at a slightly difficult install for most shop experienced installers and very difficult if you have never done a car audio install or never did any 12V electronics work before. Like I said above in post #77 I used two David Navone LOCs to convert the factory amp wires to the Hub.

The Hub is compatible with Ipods with a single wire. The Alpine interface sounds great but is slightly more difficult to operate than the Ipod wheel. My biggest complaints are when I am at a song I can’t back out of the menu system to find another artist, album, or playlist quickly. I have to start at the beginning of the search function each time I change to a different “file folder”. The Alpine unit also does not allow fast scrolling through long lists to get quickly to another artist, song, or playlist. Hopefully the new touchcreen will allow me to do these two things easier.

As stated before, with an extra module, the Hub has full XM radio functions.

The biggest thing I like about the Hub is it is an independent audio source controller separate of the factory audio system. When playing anything except for the factory CD changer, I leave the factory system turned off. I can switch in and out audio processors, amplifiers, and speakers at will. Like I stated before, I love the Alpine 7990 CD player that headed up the system in my last car, but with the flexibility and multiple functions the Hub gives me, I actually like it better. And except for the monitor on the dash I get to keep the factory look.
Old 01-24-07, 05:28 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Which sound better? Audiocontrol LC8 or NE-774V? NE-774 does not have a summing function so the signal is still being x-over to the hub. Not full range, right?

If I use a JL summing box and Cleansweep. The output signal from Cleansweep is full range 20Hz-20KHz. Which is ideal just like a aftermarket deck's pre-outs.

LC8 is not full range 20Hz-20KHz. Just summed to F/R 4ch then to aftermarket amp.

Last edited by Dj_AmtraX; 01-24-07 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-25-07, 06:05 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Which sound better? Audiocontrol LC8 or NE-774V? NE-774 does not have a summing function so the signal is still being x-over to the hub. Not full range, right?
I used the LC8 until I removed it out of the system and sold it as I was installing my Alpine 7990 CD player. Both the LC8 and the NE-774Vs sound the same. I used two NE-774Vs and soldered their outputs together into one two channel stereo output. This accomplished the same summing function the LC8 did internally.

If I use a JL summing box and Cleansweep. The output signal from Cleansweep is full range 20Hz-20KHz. Which is ideal just like a aftermarket deck's pre-outs.

LC8 is not full range 20Hz-20KHz. Just summed to F/R 4ch then to aftermarket amp.
Both the JL Cleansweep and the LC8 are rated full range. The problem is the factory system does not have an exact full range output (after the outputs are summed together). Instead of being 20Hz to 20 KHz, it is 30Hz to 20KHz. No matter how wide the signal specifications are on a peice of equipment, it is always limited to the signal width going into it. There are some bleeder frequencies that are lower in volume below 30 Hz that are coming out of the factory system, and the Cleansweep's equalizer boosts them up to back even volume level with the frequencies above 30 Hz. The Cleansweep does this automatically, but in reality any manually adjusted 1/3 octave equalizer can do the same thing.
Old 01-25-07, 11:59 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Cmusic,

Thank you for all your input on this. It's great to chat with someone who knows the products/install/car. This is great info prior to doing mine.
Old 03-15-07, 06:38 AM
neova
Pole Position

nice install... something for me to think about

ps. i couldn't bare to watch as you shifted the gears around from the passenger side without using the clutch... ouch!
Old 03-15-07, 07:54 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

looks really nice. wonder how it compares to the navi from the factory? i am not very impressed with the navi from Lexus. Acura i feel has the best system for a factory option.
Old 03-15-07, 08:23 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Nice.....I like it...
Old 03-15-07, 04:38 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

so basically all your stock functions work? i know you said that your steering wheel functions work but how does all the audio functions work?

Does your stock deck have to be on in order for your Eclipse deck to work? Can your Eclipse deck work by itself or if your Eclipse deck is off could your stock deck work by itself (like stock)?
Old 05-14-08, 07:24 PM
DZP
Pit Crew

very nice.