IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Out with the new, in with the newer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 10:18 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out with the new, in with the newer

After an entire week's worth of haggling with a local Honda dealer, I worked out a deal on a new Civic Si sedan. Traded in the IS 250 for a very fair price, add in the tax savings, and effectively it ended up being about $28,200 for the IS. That's about $2000 less than I paid for the thing.

Simply put, the Civic Si is >> fun <<. It's the kind of fun that I've been missing out on for the past 9 months in the IS. It's nimble, handles very tight, and the 2.0 engine is very much like the S2000's, in that it's raw, high strung, and loves to rev. It's definitely a blast to drive again.

The Si's seats are simply awesome. Extremely well bolstered, firm, and forces you to sit with perfect posture. I love it. And the wife does too.

Also, I can't get over all the interior space in this car, particularily the rear seat legroom. It completely embarasses the more bulky IS in this respect. I'm actually able to safely fit all 3 child seats in the back (one booster, 2 backless-boosters), something that you could not do in the IS.

Now, I realize that I claimed I would never buy another FWD car. But Honda knows how to make FWD cars handle well. And the Si is definitely no exception. I took the car through a section of my favorite twisty road, and repeatedly I could get the back end to start rotating before the front began to lose traction. I'll credit the VSA with a lot of that, and that's fine. At least they did it right, and made it more neutral, rather dialing in a ton of understeer.

I know you guys love your IS's, so I won't completely disrespect the car. But I will say that the much-less-expensive Civic is a more enjoyable car in almost every way. From the feel, to the willingness of the drivetrain, to the handling, to the proper seats, to the brilliant use of interior space. Had the Si sedan been out last spring, I never would've bought the IS.

That being said, I still think the IS is a gorgeous car, and a heck of a bargain for what you get. I just found that it didn't live up to any of my expectations, and in that respect it was a huuuuuuge disappointment.

So goodbye IS, hello Honda. No more exrutiating rev hang in between shifts. No more awful throttle response. No more sloppy gear shifter.

Driving is fun again
Old 01-15-07, 10:26 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

lexus for life!

boo! jp... thats cool man, as long as youre happy
Old 01-15-07, 10:27 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

join my friends site bro... socalcivic.com to just say whats up.. i know youre in florida... they have off topic sections... tell him aaron of socalprelude.com sent you! =)
Old 01-15-07, 10:36 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats on the new ride. From your past postings, you were not having a good experience with your IS. Sounds like you'll be much happier.
Old 01-15-07, 10:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Although I am a Civic hater , I can see that the Civic is functionally more appropriate for you. It has everything you wanted that the IS could not provide.

Congrats on the purchase! May you enjoy your new car for a very long time!!
Old 01-15-07, 10:39 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

pics!!!
Old 01-15-07, 10:40 AM
Kipperm13
Driver

I see one problem in why you didn't get the thrill. If you wanted all that stuff you where looking for the 350 would have blown your mind. I don't see why you would pay the few extra $$$ for 100 more hp. But to each his/her own My last car was a 97 Civic V-tec with a lot added. It was amazing fun to drive pushing it to the limit but the is350 is sick and you just can't put the two in the same category
Old 01-15-07, 10:40 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Although I am a Civic hater , I can see that the Civic is functionally more appropriate for you. It has everything you wanted that the IS could not provide.

Congrats on the purchase! May you enjoy your new car for a very long time!!
I'm not a big Civic fan either, mostly because I'm not into the whole tuner scene. Don't really want to be associated with it. Shoot, I'm considering removing the trunklid spoiler and the iVTEC stickers on the rear doors :-)

But you're correct, the Si is functionally more appropriate. Given my requirements and desires, the Civic is a great solution for me.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-15-07, 10:42 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I have a Acura Integra GS-R similar to your Civic SI. I do not think I would EVER sell my IS and get a SI or RSX. Yes my GSR is fun to drive, 8k redline, pretty quick too. On the highway and long drives it plain sucks. Crusing at 80mph the tach is at 4k. Not your highway cruiser at all. I'm sure the SI is similar.

I like the refined more comfortable IS over my Integra. Plus after driving a manual for 10 years. I like having an auto for a change.
Old 01-15-07, 10:43 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kipperm13
I see one problem in why you didn't get the thrill. If you wanted all that stuff you where looking for the 350 would have blown your mind. I don't see why you would pay the few extra $$$ for 100 more hp. But to each his/her own My last car was a 97 Civic V-tec with a lot added. It was amazing fun to drive pushing it to the limit but the is350 is sick and you just can't put the two in the same category
I like to go fast as much as anyone, but straight-line speed is just a minute part of my personal equation. I'd be much happier driving a 100 HP car that handled wonderfully, than I would driving a 300 HP car that handled poorly.

And regarding the IS350... no stick, no deal.
Old 01-15-07, 10:46 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Crusing at 80mph the tach is at 4k. Not your highway cruiser at all. I'm sure the SI is similar.
They gave the Si a more civilized overdrive gear. At 70 MPH, it's at about 3000 RPM, which is manageable. I had an S2000 previously, that would turn 4000 RPM at 75. It was great for scooting in traffic, but long trips were unbearable.
Old 01-15-07, 10:58 AM
Wai
Pole Position

Civic SI is a lot of car for the money. I like it a lot as a daily driver.

But have fun if you ever plan on modifying the suspension. Front strut rear multi link. You will gain a lot of unwanted camber in the back (more than front) once you start lowering. There's a reason why the newer gen front strut Hondas are doing not so great in road racing (RSX) compare to the double-wishbone counterparts (TSX).
Old 01-15-07, 11:10 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Color is black, and looks really sharp. Just haven't had a good chance to take pictures of it yet because we were at Disney this past weekend.
Old 01-15-07, 11:29 AM
likwid
Driver School Candidate

I have a friend that has a new civic and there is a lot more leg room than the IS, much better for kids in car seats. I have a rear facing infant seat and it is a pain to put it in the IS. 1 is hard enough, I couldn't imagine getting 3 car seats in the IS. Congrats on your new ride.
Old 01-15-07, 12:47 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hows the insurance difference with the IS to the civic? I checked on a civic ex and the 250 and they were almost identical for me (seriously).

Quick Reply: Out with the new, in with the newer