IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does anyone know if a IS250 manual will fit on a 350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 06:35 AM
^saint
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soda
Wow, you're car will be worth absolutely NOTHING if you were to do this. If you want a manual, I'd suggest a 335i...
I'm sorry, not trying to start a Flame, but these types of comments really really bother me. The guy is just asking for suggestions on if it can be done.

He is not asking what car he should buy to have a Manual. You need to keep a open mind that some people on here are from the tuning world and want to do something different, no matter what the cost are. I myself have had new cars, and in a week tore them down, replaced plenty of parts. I know the car is now worth nothing, but its the sport of seeing a working project done.
The following users liked this post:
Frontage (11-01-22)
Old 01-18-07, 06:49 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ^saint
You need to keep a open mind that some people on here are from the tuning world and want to do something different, no matter what the cost are. I myself have had new cars, and in a week tore them down, replaced plenty of parts. I know the car is now worth nothing, but its the sport of seeing a working project done.
If JBrad was that type of person, I doubt that he'd be in an internet chat room asking if it would fit. He'd be looking at service manuals, parts lists, and schematics, and even making some phone calls to key people to find out how easily it could be done.

I agree with Soda, in that doing this mod to a 350 would really hurt his car's value and [probably] reliability, and that if he wanted more power and a stick, he'd be better off looking at a 335i.
Old 01-18-07, 06:52 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

You can also kiss your warranty goodbye....
Old 01-18-07, 07:01 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I think this thread is missing positive comments..

Brad if you do it.. WoW! I hope its fun and works out and let us know.

And don't see why it wouldn't. Just like the guy said about the eclipse.. a DSM maybe puts down 160 horses but the tranny could take up to 400 horses easy. Just find out what the tranny is rated.
Old 01-18-07, 07:24 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

heres a positive comment. all you have to do is look at the late model is300s.
everything can be done.will it be like factory NO!,but relieble most likely.and if you pull it off you will be the most pimp mother f@#$! in town.start with the electronics,what sensors will swap over ,or my question is how to trick the is350 computer not to throw check eng light with the new parts?
Old 01-18-07, 09:13 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
i think it would be more feasible to drop a 350 motor into a MT 250 considering all the MT wires and pedals are present.
This is exactly what I was going to say. However, the IS350 ECU will probably not like that the Transmission's ECU is not talking back, so there would probably be an everlasting check engine light.
Old 01-18-07, 09:18 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Something else to consider is that the IS250 MT is a pretty crappy tranny. Everyone seems to be complaining about it. If you were going to attempt something like this, It would make more sense to adapt a better unit with a custom bell housing.
Old 01-18-07, 01:48 PM
JBrad
Driver School Candidate

hahaha Thanks for the help to the guys that answered. I have made alot of calls and researched multiple service manuals. Warranty and everything else isnt an issue. I was just tossing around a few ideas. Standalone and 6spd supra tranny is the way to go.

Last edited by JBrad; 01-18-07 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-18-07, 01:53 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
Something else to consider is that the IS250 MT is a pretty crappy tranny. Everyone seems to be complaining about it. If you were going to attempt something like this, It would make more sense to adapt a better unit with a custom bell housing.
is it that bad? I figured if people think its too soft or something, they could change the clutch? Is it cable driven?

Also if people feel that the gears are too tall, that wont be as big an issue for a faster car.
Old 01-18-07, 02:28 PM
dainese954
Driver

i know in a mk4 supra u can use an auto ecu in a manual car but u can't use a manual ecu in an auto car, found out on supra forums when i did my na-tt swap
Old 01-18-07, 02:32 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

if you try it, you'll be brave, but i'm not sure if it would work.. think about it, if it was to work, then Lexus should've considered making the IS350 in manual trim as well, but they didn't...
Old 01-18-07, 02:33 PM
LexFather

I am sure the 250 manual will not handle the power of the 350 over time.
For instance, the IS 300 got the trusty 5 speed instead of the 6 speed manual from the Japanese Altezza. Lexus engineers knew having 5 cogs was not state of the art but they said over time, the 6 speed could not handle the torque of the 2JZ.
The 6 speed in the Altezza is connected to a 200hp and I think 160lbs of torque engine.
Old 01-18-07, 02:53 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

You would definitely have to give up some or possibly all of the VDIM capabilities. I realize that you might not want many of the VDIM features, but it would suck to loose ABS.
Old 01-18-07, 02:54 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrad
hahaha Thanks for the help to the guys that answered. I have made alot of calls and researched multiple service manuals. Warranty and everything else isnt an issue. I was just tossing around a few ideas. Standalone and 6spd supra tranny is the way to go.
Thats cool good luck..if your doing a standalone you should also think about raising the compression and squeeze out another 40 hp or so. 13.5:1 you could still get away with 93 octane.maybe 14.0:1 if you use the direct injection properly.I`ve seen it done.
Old 01-18-07, 03:04 PM
JBrad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Thats cool good luck..if your doing a standalone you should also think about raising the compression and squeeze out another 40 hp or so. 13.5:1 you could still get away with 93 octane.maybe 14.0:1 if you use the direct injection properly.I`ve seen it done.
Ill look into that. I actually thought about lowering the stock 11.8:1 compression for boost. Thanks for your help though man.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know if a IS250 manual will fit on a 350?