IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First oil change at 730 miles. My parents think I'm crazy.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 09:39 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r1lee
I changed my oil at 2000km's. I just wanted to make sure that all those metal particles were removed.
I understand the desire to remove the "metal particles", but that doesn't require changing the oil. If the particles are suspended in the oil, the filter will take care of them. Why not JUST change the filter?!
Old 01-18-07, 09:43 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Change your oil when every you want.Just don`t go over factory specs.As for the oil being over filled its not oil.Its gas.new motors have blow by at the rings and this is normal.Their will be metal in the oil until the 5000 mile mark.
So your next oil change will most likely also have metal in the filter.
Old 01-18-07, 09:52 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I understand the desire to remove the "metal particles", but that doesn't require changing the oil. If the particles are suspended in the oil, the filter will take care of them. Why not JUST change the filter?!
At the risk of showing my lack of knowledge here (even though I do as much maintenance on all my cars as reasonably possible), since the oil filter is at about the same height on the car as the bottom of the oil pan, wouldn't you loose most if not all of the oil when you take the filter out anyway?
Old 01-18-07, 09:54 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because your changing the filter why not just drain the oil while you are at it?? You paid $40k+ on a car spending an extra $20 on 6 quarts of oil makes more sense then just changing the filter. This is just cheap insurance. At least thats the way I think.
Old 01-18-07, 10:10 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Every one ready for some school on oil ?
Alright.
Oil has 2 main purposes #1 is to lube and cool the motor.#2 is to remove crap out of your motor like extra gas,metal,dust,what ever, ect...
So break in oil has different additves that help to remove larger amounts of metal,assembly lube,glues etc...less protection to the motor .

Heres a good test to see if your oil needs changing,simple.

1st take a paper towel fold twice.
2nd pull dipstick out and touch the middle of the paper towel(one small spot)
3rd if the oil is dark (brownish,black)and spreads through the towel its time for a oil change.If it stays and does not spread no need to change.
Old 01-18-07, 10:11 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Personally, Most normal people wouldn't even see a difference if they change it at 2K, 3K, or 5K. I think it's really just a personal preference and what you believe in. I notice there is many different "sides" to the story.

I personally changed my oil at 2,500 miles. Then another at 5,500 miles after coming back from EOS. Why? Because I felt like it.

The only manufacturer that I know that has ACTUAL special break-in oil is Honda, and Honda INSIST you keep that oil in the car for at least 3K miles.
Old 01-18-07, 10:16 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

If there was enough gasoline in the oil to raise the oil level by a significant amount, there would be a HUGE problem. Gasoline contaminants in oil should be "burned away" via the PCV while driving at normal operating temperatures. My oil did not have any fuel present when I changed it at 5K miles (per Blackstone UOA).

The location of the oil filter should not cause any siphoning of oil from the oil pan. There will be some oil lost, but it should be less than a quart. Just replace the filter and top it back off with new oil.

I see several reasons to leave the break-in oil in there and just change the filter:
1) The oil is perfectly fine for 5K miles according to Blackstone Labs.
2) Changing the filter by itself is significantly easier than changing the oil AND filter
3) New oil is significantly more expensive than the filter alone
4) Chaning to synthetic before 5K miles isn't a good idea, since it will slow down the break-in process.
Old 01-18-07, 10:20 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Here are the comments that Blackstone had about my break-in oil after 5K miles.

Nothing unusual here. High wear and silicon are not surprising in a new engine. The wear is
high due to break-in of new parts, while silicon is from sealers and sand-casted parts. Universal
averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type engine after 5100 miles use. We suspect
your engine will look that good or better in two or three more oil changes. We put this oil in as a
5W/30, but the viscosity was a little low, so it may have been a 5W/20. The TBN read 2.7, still active
additive left. No fuel dilution or anti-freeze present. Check back to see improvements.
Old 01-18-07, 10:23 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

If there was enough gasoline in the oil to raise the oil level by a significant amount, there would be a HUGE problem. Gasoline contaminants in oil should be "burned away" via the PCV while driving at normal operating temperatures. My oil did not have any fuel present when I changed it at 5K miles (per Blackstone UOA).

The location of the oil filter should not cause any siphoning of oil from the oil pan. There will be some oil lost, but it should be less than a quart. Just replace the filter and top it back off with new oil.

I see several reasons to leave the break-in oil in there and just change the filter:
1) The oil is perfectly fine for 5K miles according to Blackstone Labs.
2) Changing the filter by itself is significantly easier than changing the oil AND filter
3) New oil is significantly more expensive than the filter alone
4) Chaning to synthetic before 5K miles isn't a good idea, since it will slow down the break-in process.
your right.I guess the point is STOP FREAKING OUT ABOUT OIL!!!!Ha! Its a Lexus. This is why you bought it ,no worries!!!
Old 01-18-07, 11:02 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

It just occurred to me that the high oil level someone posted about above is probably intentional on Lexus' part. It is normal for a new engine to consume oil during break-in, so the OEMs often overfill to help prevent the oil level from dropping too low during the first change interval. Most engines can be filled with an extra quart without any problems (submerging the crank, frothing, etc.).
Old 01-18-07, 07:44 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pocky
Personally, Most normal people wouldn't even see a difference if they change it at 2K, 3K, or 5K. I think it's really just a personal preference and what you believe in. I notice there is many different "sides" to the story.

I personally changed my oil at 2,500 miles. Then another at 5,500 miles after coming back from EOS. Why? Because I felt like it.

The only manufacturer that I know that has ACTUAL special break-in oil is Honda, and Honda INSIST you keep that oil in the car for at least 3K miles.

yah good point. i feel like changing mine next week... i will then be at probably 3k i think
Old 01-18-07, 07:55 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Personal preference doesn't really make much scientific sense. Oil change intervals are common discussions, and the people that have really short OCIs tend to be those that don't really know why they do it. It's a bit like the current discussion about "How long do you let your car warm up before driving it". Many people think it is a good idea to let it idle for a few minutes before driving, but they don't realize they are actually hurting their engines.
Old 01-18-07, 08:11 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Modern motor oils actually will last much longer than everyone says they will. When mobil tells you Mobil 1 is good for 15,000 miles in normal wear scenarios, its really more like 20k. But you should still change the filter every 3-5k, and until recently, this meant you might as well drain the oil, since it'll come spilling out of the filter opening while you change the filter. But some of the newer (Toyota especially) engines have the filter located at a high point in the oil system, so you can change it without losing any oil.

Another common misconception is the color of oil telling you when to change it (as above). Most oils will change from their light brown to dark color after being temperature cycled 3-4 times. So color really has nothing to do with oil life, other than to say "someone used it."
Old 01-19-07, 07:01 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Another common misconception is the color of oil telling you when to change it (as above). Most oils will change from their light brown to dark color after being temperature cycled 3-4 times. So color really has nothing to do with oil life, other than to say "someone used it."[/QUOTE]

Thats kinda like saying my grill cheese sandwich tastes the same black as it does a nice golden brown.Its all in what you like.Black sandwich no for me tho.
Old 01-19-07, 10:56 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default Going with synthetic & moving in the interval to 3k?

Wow! $ to spare huh? The synthetic practically allows you to spread the change interval to 10,000-12,000 miles for an IS on Mobil One etc.

Can't imagine synthetic needing to be changed every 3000 miles unless you're driving in gravel quarries & tar pits the whole time.

Quick Reply: First oil change at 730 miles. My parents think I'm crazy.