IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First oil change at 730 miles. My parents think I'm crazy.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 07:32 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First oil change at 730 miles. Am I crazy?

Well.. Some guy in the 3rd Gen GS350 forum changed his oil at 500 miles and posted pictures of his oil filter and it had huge shavings of metal stuck in there and the oil was kinda glittery with metal in there. Here is his thread http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257889

So that thread got me scared and I changed my oil today on my 07 IS250 at 730 miles.

Plus the factory overfilled the oil by over half an inch above the full mark on the oil dipstick. So I didnt wanna run a new engine with way to much oil then its suppose to be in there.

So those two things prompted me to change my oil alittle early.

I did not find any huge pieces of metal though.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 01-17-07 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-17-07, 07:53 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Not necessary but obviously won't hurt. Lexus is extremely protective of their brand and how closely quality is tied to it. If oil changes were that effective early, they would be free. The first one is free infact and scheduled for 5k.
Old 01-17-07, 07:59 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Well.. Some guy in the 3rd Gen GS350 forum changed his oil at 500 miles and posted pictures of his oil filter and it had huge shavings of metal stuck in there and the oil was kinda glittery with metal in there. Here is his thread http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257889

So that thread got me scared and I changed my oil today on my 07 IS250 at 730 miles.

Plus the factory overfilled the oil by over half an inch above the full mark on the oil dipstick. So I didnt wanna run a new engine with way to much oil then its suppose to be in there.

So those two things prompted me to change my oil alittle early.

I did not find any huge pieces of metal though.
Strange.... not the first time I've heard that the car came from the factory with too much oil. I wonder why they're doing that?
Old 01-17-07, 08:10 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Default Cheap insurance

Oil changes are cheap insurance especially if you do them yourself.

My first was on the dealer at about 3K. I did the second 5K later...I am using full synthetic so 5K is pretty frequent..I am going to go back to 3K.

I do it myself and figure it costs about $40-$45 for six qts of synthetic and a filter...pretty cheap that in the long run will add to the life of the engine.
Old 01-17-07, 08:38 PM
cvex
Driver

Is there such thing as "break-in" oil, where it is filled from factory? I would like to change my oil to 0-20w since my commute trip is only 4 miles each way and my engine temperature barely passes the 'C. Im at 500 miles now.
Ive read alot of bob the oil guy page and in my situation, its considered severe cond where the oil cant get to operating temperature to burn off condensation.
Old 01-17-07, 09:32 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe in changing the break-in oil early, but I do think changing the filter early is beneficial. I changed my oil for the first time at 5K, and sent it in to Blackstone Labs for a Used Oil Analysis. They said that it looked like it should for a new engine. IMHO, changing the oil too often on a new engine will just extend the break in period.
Old 01-17-07, 09:39 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cvex
Is there such thing as "break-in" oil, where it is filled from factory? I would like to change my oil to 0-20w since my commute trip is only 4 miles each way and my engine temperature barely passes the 'C. Im at 500 miles now.
Ive read alot of bob the oil guy page and in my situation, its considered severe cond where the oil cant get to operating temperature to burn off condensation.
Every new car has "break-in oil", since the definition of "break-in oil" is whatever it has from the factory. Most cars come with conventional oil, and the manufacturers recommend waiting X miles before switching to synthetic. There are many rumors that some manufacturers use additives with the factory fill as well (extra Moly, etc.).

Lite weight oil might improve the cold start wear, but it isn't going to reduce oil contamination. You should just go a few miles out of your way each evening to boil the moisture back out.
Old 01-17-07, 10:04 PM
el3ctone
Pole Position

haha i did my 1st change yesterday, 1200 miles
what filter did you get at the dealer. They handed me the YZZA3 filter, but on the filter itself it says YZZA2, i come to believe that it means the filter is the same, except the difference in the O-RING, like some other people have said.
Old 01-17-07, 10:20 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

i am almost at 3k should i be concerned with getting my first oil change? after hearing about that metal shavings gig i kinda wanna play it as safe as possible too... is it overkill for me to call them and get my appt done?
Old 01-17-07, 10:58 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by racinghart
i am almost at 3k should i be concerned with getting my first oil change? after hearing about that metal shavings gig i kinda wanna play it as safe as possible too... is it overkill for me to call them and get my appt done?
At 3K, it won't hurt if you do it now or wait a little longer. Unless you're making a ton of short trips in stop and go traffic, you'll be fine waiting until 5K.

I'll be sending in a sample to Blackstone of my ~10K to ~15K miles drain. Since I'm 90% highway, I'm sure I can go longer than 5K mile intervals but I'm just curious. The reports also help when you sell the car (privately at least.) If someone goes to the trouble and expense to get this done, you know that they probably took good care of the car.

FWIW, my g/f's TSX apparently has a special break-in flavor. They wouldn't change the oil out until 10K miles. I think it's 5K mile intervals after that.
Old 01-17-07, 11:15 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

why not just follow the owners manual - 5k.
can all of lexus/toyota be wrong on something this basic?
Old 01-17-07, 11:41 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

i think that people are overreacting to the oil deal...its break in period you wont see that later down the road...it be fine
Old 01-17-07, 11:50 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dfw350
why not just follow the owners manual - 5k.
can all of lexus/toyota be wrong on something this basic?
Agreed, I always change mine at it's scheduled intervals. The only thing I do different is put Mobile 1 synthetic.
Old 01-18-07, 12:02 AM
DKB
Rookie

Isnt BMWs 15,000 miles now??
Old 01-18-07, 09:23 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I changed my oil at 2000km's. I just wanted to make sure that all those metal particles were removed.

Quick Reply: First oil change at 730 miles. My parents think I'm crazy.