sNOw and the IS350

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 11:26 PM
neova
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tires = helps with acceleration/braking
drive wheels = helps maintain balance of your vehicle while in motion

with that said, you can have summer tires on the IS250 AWD and you'll still be stuck in snow, more to do with the tires, and not just the drive wheels as most people think.

our IS with a decent set of snow tires will grip just fine.
Old 02-16-07, 12:48 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far we've only had 2 snows that were bad enough to keep my car parked. I'd LOVE to buy these for the occasional snow, to cover up my summer tires for better traction! Looks like they don't have them in my rear tire size.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au.../products.html
Old 02-16-07, 06:25 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default When it comes time for new tires...

From personal expirience in 105 degree summer heat, to driving in 0 degree snow & ice, the Toyo Proxe 4 is an excellent combination of all weather & performance at a reasonable price.
Old 02-16-07, 06:26 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Up here in Toronto we finally had a snow storm. We had about 15 cms of the stuff fall overnight. My garage is on a laneway that doesn't get plowed and I leave so early that no one has driven in the laneway yet. I did have some difficulty getting through the lane way and finally out to the main streets. This difficulty was mainly due to the speed bumps in the laneway. I did have to do the forward and reverse thing to get the car over the bumps. I do have the Blizzaks and made it through the storm okay. There is a bit of fishtailing if you give it too much power on take off but the VDIM takes care of that. Overall I was pleased with the car's performance in the snow with snows on it compared with my old Acura TL's FWD performance in snow with all season tires on it. It didn't get stuck any more often compared with the Acura and found it easier to get unstuck if I did get stuck.
Old 02-16-07, 07:12 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

I drove the IS350 in deep snow once this winter. I got Nokian RSI 17" winter tires and it made the car handle like on rails. I was going 80km on snow pack roads while moving the steering left and right and couldn't get the car to fishtail. Off course VDIM also helped.

Shortly after after we finally got our new AWD Santa Fe so I parked my car in the garage for the winter. But need be I am not afraid to take the IS out in snow. It's all in the tires!
Old 02-16-07, 08:23 AM
mort
Lead Lap

Blizzaks have worked great for me...225/45/18 all around. Have had alot of snow and ice conditions this past month in Ontario and I cannot believe how well these snows work. Also, I have had no need to even try 'snow mode'...they have really done a great job. As well. on the highway at speed, I cannot really notice much difference from the summer tires...smooth and quiet.
Old 02-16-07, 12:42 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's a better snow tire...

Dunlop Winter Sport M3

OR

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C

Seems like more people prefer the Dunlops, but I've heard good things about both.
Old 02-16-07, 01:04 PM
Joneser
Driver

Out here in Chicago, I had no real problems with my Three-50. I have Blizzaks. I read some of you all got rid of your summer tires?! I purchased my snow tire package from the dealership and they are storing my summer tires plus install free of charge. They just rimmed the blizzaks with the GS OEM wheel of last model year. All in all I am pretty happy with the blizzaks no matter what car i had, if our last snow storm had been any worse, i wouldn't have driven to work anyway to be honest. But glad to know you all we happy campers with RWD or AWD...

One thing is for sure. Turn the VCT off when you are at stop or making a turn... it really kicks-in and nothing worse then making a turn with oncoming traffic and the system locks your wheels. I also found that pushing the ECT Power button up (not "snow") helps alot when parking or getting out of parking. Fortunately enough the '07 has more options with VCT able to be turned off.