IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250 AWD v. Infiniti G35 and Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 02:42 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was struggling to decide between the G35S and TL Type-S. One day I happened to pass by a Lexus dealership and decided to check out what the IS has to offer. When I saw and test drove the IS350, the decision was made. Each of the three have their own merits, but I liked the styling of the IS the most.

In your case you're considering the 250 so it's a little different. If AWD is an absolute requirement for you, I'd probably go with the G35x over the 250. It's all about what's most important to you. Just my opinion.
Old 01-18-07, 03:25 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All 3 cars are very nice...but i really think that the is250awd is way to underpowered for most people whether they are enthusiasts or not. The IS250 is very classy, AND its a lexus. The TL just doesn't do it for me..it looks like every other car..sort of boxy..The g35 is a great car..Its very sporty, but yet very classy, and it also very sexy.

1. G35
2. IS250
3. TL
Old 01-18-07, 03:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
You stated it as fact, and that's why I called you on it.
There is no need to 'call' anyone on it. Let me give an alternative way to state your case that does not create strife in our forum. Try it next time please.

Originally Posted by ff_v2.0
Of course the interior preference is very much personal opinion, not fact .

I happen to like the TL's interior much better than the IS's. Haven't seen the G35's yet.
What electronics does the IS have that the TL or G35 doesn't?
Why do you think the IS's reliability is going to be any better than the Honda's? They are both very reliable choices.
Old 01-18-07, 04:52 PM
frankt19
Driver School Candidate

Anybody have an opinion on the Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro (awd) and the BMW 328xi (awd)? Thanks
Old 01-18-07, 05:05 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Foxberry
But if he would have said that the G35's or TL's interior/electronics/reliability beats the IS's, I wonder if you would have "called him on it"...
If he would've stated it as fact, then yes.
Old 01-18-07, 07:35 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Default Comparison tests

Here's a link for a comparison test in the February, 2007 edition of Road & Track that compares the IS(350), TL and G35. The IS won.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4459

Although it's a comparison of the IS350 and not the IS250AWD, I think it should help identify some of the differences among the three cars.

I looked at the TL, the G35, and the IS before deciding on the IS250 as offering the best combination of features to meet my needs. Likes and dislikes of each car are listed below:

For the TL, I liked the exterior design, the interior room, the interior design and standar features. The car drove nicely and had plenty of power. Of course, the honda/acura reputation was important too.

But there were a few negatives: the TL design is several years old; I prefer to buy a car in the first couple of years after a new version is released, why drive a car that looks like a six year old car as soon as a newer version is released?

Also, the TL is front-wheel drive- I hate torque steer, and a few reviews and forums included comments that torque steer was noticable under hard acceleration on the TL. Also, given my commute in the Valley Forge, PA area, I really wanted a car with AWD, not front or rear wheel drive.

-Interior- On an Acura board, I noticed a number of complaints about interior rattles and the quality of the leather seats; the seats would get imprints of your rear-end after a few months of driving. In comparing the interior to the IS, I felt the IS was more sophisticated, richer looking than the TL. The TL was nice, but it seemed more Honda-like (check out the new civic and accord) and not as upscale as the IS. The gauges on the IS were much nicer on the IS than the TL, and the wood trim seemed nicer on the IS.

The G35 has tremendous power, a nice ride and very responsive handling, but the exterior design was too bland for my tastes (the new one is better) and the interior was just fugly, with raised grain on the dash, ugly looking gauges and just a very cheap appearance overall.

But from pictures of the new G, I think that they have upgraded the interior quite a bit. Like the TL, the G35 has a bigger back seat than the IS, and is an important consideration if you are going to be hauling around adults or teenage children. The gas mileage on the G is not as good as either the IS or the TL. I also heard that the brakes on the older G did not last too long. The power train on the G is not smooth like the IS. Either it's not well insulated with sound proofing material or they tuned the exhaust note so it's very loud when you hit the gas. Again, I drive 20-25k miles annually, and I found this to be an annoyance on my test drive.

The IS is responsive fun to drive, has a very smooth power train, very quiet (I like the exhaust note on this car a great deal). It handles well on twisty roads, reminding me of my son's bmw 3 series, although there is a bit more weight on the front and minor body roll on the IS. The ride on the IS is firm, and highway bumps can be somewhat jarring. The seats on the IS are comfortable and supportive, but I would like another 1-2 inches of headroom so I could raise the seat more. The interior of the IS gorgeous--you'll find the same look and finish in all of Lexus's models including the $80 k LS. The back seat is small, but not a major consideration for me. I would like to have fold down rear seats, but this was not an option. Gas mileage on the IS is very good--I average around 23 mpg in a mix of driving and up to 28 on straight highway driving. The G is more in the 17-19 mpg range.

As far as reliablity, all three makes score well on Consumer Reports, with most models scoring above average or well above average, with few trouble spots. Personally, I give the edge to Lexus, but time will tell.

I've had my IS for just about one year now and I'm very happy with my choice. I think the new G would be strong contender, but would probably still opt for the IS with better gas milage and my preference for IS look. I also think the Lexus brand is stronger than either Acura or Infinity, but that's at the margin. Anyway, each car has its trade-offs. It's all about what trade-offs are most important to you.
Old 01-18-07, 09:16 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by frankt19
Anybody have an opinion on the Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro (awd) and the BMW 328xi (awd)? Thanks
i havent driven a bmw 328xi b4 but i test drove a audi a4 2.0 T and the car is an absolute handling beast. I drove a front wheel drive model and the car handled like a RWD car. the AWD is probably even better. the only thing i didnt like about the audi A4 is how expensive it is.
Old 01-18-07, 09:20 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

I drove the BMW 325xi. The drive is comparable to the 250 awd. It had a little more power, but not enough to make me want to go that route. I really did not like the interior of the BMW. I think most here will agree the Lexus interios is lightyears ahead.