IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer Explanation for Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 10:56 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Explanation for Rattle

Just got my car back from its 15,000 mile service and got an interesting explanation for the rattle I've been hearing and asked them to check and repair..."Lexus knows about it, yours is not the only vehicle with the problem and they are trying to work a "fix". As soon as they do, you will receive a letter to bring it in for repair". Has anyone else heard this? I'm a bit skeptical but really want to believe him....
Old 01-18-07, 11:18 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

well what rattle have you been hearing??
Old 01-18-07, 11:31 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Default Rattle

The rattle has been coming from the dash above the stereo...seemingly from behind the vents.
Old 01-18-07, 11:35 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard the rattles too, but don't get any letter from them.
Old 01-18-07, 12:09 PM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Mine is developing that same rattle and an occasional "creak" that sounds like it is coming from the junction of the center stack and the black parts of the dash..
Old 01-18-07, 12:50 PM
hairball
Driver School Candidate

I've got the rattles, but I haven't contacted the dealer about it.
Old 01-18-07, 12:52 PM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Default Creak

Originally Posted by SerKevin
Mine is developing that same rattle and an occasional "creak" that sounds like it is coming from the junction of the center stack and the black parts of the dash..
I may have the same creak as well...very slight at this point. I am going to keep mentioning it to the Service Mgr each time I go in and I certainly hope he's not feeding me a "line" and will ultimately fix it!
Old 01-18-07, 01:03 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

I got my rattle fixed under a TSB that is out for the rattle in the center of the dash, although that rattle did go away I still hear alot of little rattles while going over bumps. Whic is pretty normal but it really bothers me because I am aware of every little sound since I had the problem with the first one. Another thing I noticed is that the rattles dramaticlly reduce when the tempeture is warm.
Old 01-18-07, 01:07 PM
vertcobra9
Driver

what is a TSB? im guessing..... ____ service bullitin?
Old 01-18-07, 01:13 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Damn, its sad to hear about all these rattles. I have not heard any rattles so far and the temperature changes drastically around here. I once thought I heard a rattle but it was my sunglasses movin around in the case overhead. Make sure its not that.
Old 01-18-07, 01:16 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mkivbadger
I may have the same creak as well...very slight at this point. I am going to keep mentioning it to the Service Mgr each time I go in and I certainly hope he's not feeding me a "line" and will ultimately fix it!
Guys, come on.

There ia already a very detailed thread on this subject, with pics, fixes and lots of helpful info. Don't be lazy, just do a search...and the thread is not that old. By the way a TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin issued by Lexus to the dealers describing known problems and the factory fix...both parts and procedure. Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-07, 01:18 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SerKevin
I have this sound and I found where it is coming from.

I don't know if it is different from your car or anyones but I'll tell you about mine.

Only when its cold first thing in the morning or late in the evening when I leave work do I hear it.. and usually its so quiet I can't hear it unless I have the stereo turned down.

The source of this rattle is the driver side vent, the little vent I guess that defogs the windows.. If your push down on that and apply slight preassure the rattle will stop. I have no idea how the dealership would fix this but.. I personally am going to wait till the summer to see if I still get this noise.
Old 01-18-07, 01:52 PM
mason2006
Driver School Candidate

Techincal service bulliten
Old 01-19-07, 10:10 AM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 9520G
I got my rattle fixed under a TSB that is out for the rattle in the center of the dash, although that rattle did go away I still hear alot of little rattles while going over bumps. Whic is pretty normal but it really bothers me because I am aware of every little sound since I had the problem with the first one. Another thing I noticed is that the rattles dramaticlly reduce when the tempeture is warm.
Please post the TSB # so we can let our dealers know what we want done when bringing in our cars. Thanks
Old 01-19-07, 10:27 AM
Reboot
Rookie

I have a 2002 LS430 w/ 57k on the clock. I just ran out of warranty a few months back and have recently developed this VERY annoying rattle in a very quiet car. Will the dealer fix it for free w/ the TSB?

Quick Reply: Dealer Explanation for Rattle