70.97%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

2008 Mercedes Benz C-Class vs. 2007 Lexus IS250

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 10:11 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like where the MB butts are headed... but anyway... My parents have an 2004(?) E320 and 2006 Toyota Previa (both in HK), and constantly drive the IS200 as well. And guess which has the most problems?

Seriously... the E-classes fuel pump failed after 2 years, and was stuck in an underground parking lot. It was covered under warranty, but it wasted tons of time and seemed like a dangerous problem. Apart from the crappy head-unit on the IS200 (we bought it when it was first released) and some rattles on my IS350, everything else was perfect in our Toyotas. Don't get my wrong, I still like to drive the MB and it's a great car (usually), but like everyone else said, for reliability, go for the Lexus =)
Old 01-22-07, 01:24 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I think it looks nice... real nice.

Whats the power?
Old 01-22-07, 07:23 PM
MBenzman
Driver School Candidate

We had an '95 C-Class Benz. We drove it for 12 years. We replaced fluids, one battery, and one rear light bulb. The battery did not give us problems I just thought we should after 9 years. We also replaced the tires a number of times. That is it. The car still had the original belts, hoses, and all bulbs other than the above mentioned tail light. Everything worked. It did not require any other maintenance. The paint looked like new. Always garaged it hadn't faided at all. No rattles or buzzes of any kind. We had a cashiers check for it the day we listed it for sale. Perhaps we just lucked out with an increadibly reliable car. The people who purchased it are loving it and driving it on weekends to their lake home 580miles round trip. They think it will go forever with comfort and style.

Not all Mercedes have problems.

My IS has more rattles and buzzes after 4 months than my Benz did after 12 years. Yet, I like it. It is a very nice car. Not all Lexus autos are perfect.
Old 01-22-07, 07:34 PM
Soda
Pole Position

looks boxy & unrefined and the grille looks like it nees a hyundai emblem!! Other than that, I like all the other MB models!
Old 01-22-07, 07:52 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MBenzman
We had an '95 C-Class Benz. We drove it for 12 years. We replaced fluids, one battery, and one rear light bulb. The battery did not give us problems I just thought we should after 9 years. We also replaced the tires a number of times. That is it. The car still had the original belts, hoses, and all bulbs other than the above mentioned tail light. Everything worked. It did not require any other maintenance. The paint looked like new. Always garaged it hadn't faided at all. No rattles or buzzes of any kind. We had a cashiers check for it the day we listed it for sale. Perhaps we just lucked out with an increadibly reliable car. The people who purchased it are loving it and driving it on weekends to their lake home 580miles round trip. They think it will go forever with comfort and style.

Not all Mercedes have problems.

My IS has more rattles and buzzes after 4 months than my Benz did after 12 years. Yet, I like it. It is a very nice car. Not all Lexus autos are perfect.
95 Mercedes are totally different from 2000 and up models....I had a 01 C320 Sedan for 30,000 miles and it had its share of electrical gremlins.
Old 01-22-07, 07:54 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I think it looks nice... real nice.

Whats the power?

the only model that I would consider would be the C350 with 268hp.
Old 01-22-07, 09:47 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I love Mercedes-Benz, but the new C-class is butt ugly, end of story.
Old 01-22-07, 10:31 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i'd buy it... for my mom. /kidding

styling = stuck between too conservative and too american. part of it screams *designed by chrysler engineers*...

oh, and i've never been a fan of pressurized german engines.
Old 01-23-07, 04:52 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these pictures of the mercedes are C55 AMG in production, the other C classes will be ugly
Old 01-23-07, 07:59 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

So who's the one that Photo Chopped a MB grill on the 2007 Chrysler Sebring

I'm sorry but this looks cheep - inside and out. Perhaps it will look better in person but it does not touch the IS IMO.
Old 01-23-07, 08:14 AM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by andyx222
just as I thought the outcome would be. I also had a poll at mbworld.org, my old forum for when I owned my C-Class. Everyone here was bias towards the IS, and everyone there was bias towards their Mercedes. HAHA I guess I should of saw that coming. I really love my Lexus, but wouldn't mind looking into the new w204. I guess you really can't go wrong with a company (LEXUS) that won most dependable brand of the year for 12 consecutive years!
Having the same problem as you right now.

I have a W203 right now but now sure if I should upgrade to an IS350 or just to a W204
Old 01-23-07, 08:19 AM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rashood
these pictures of the mercedes are C55 AMG in production, the other C classes will be ugly
no those are the sport models I think.

Here are more pictures

Elegance Model

Sports

Classic

Love this picture
Old 01-23-07, 09:01 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i liked the older C-class models, not that i'd ever buy one. these new ones don't give that positive redesign feel... i mean, they're supposed to be BETTER when they redesign, not worse...
Old 01-23-07, 10:43 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by andyx222
OMG you are so right! Lots of people here have owned a Mercedes. Almost none of the MBWORLD guys have ever owned a Lexus. Reliability is huge. That was the major factor in me purchasing the Lexus.
Im on MBWORLD and I have both Benz & Lexus in my garage. 02 GS430, 07 IS350 and two Mercedes. I have to agree that Lexus is far more reliable but NOT as fun to drive when compared to my Benz. My Benz will dust my IS350 anytime of the day. I love the electronic gadgets in my IS but the WOW factor is NOT there. Everytime I step on the gas pedal of the 55, big smiles come alive from ear to ear...

I like the new look of the 08 C-class W204 but I would stay away from it since it's the first year and probably will have lots of bugs that MB need to address. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 01-23-07, 11:28 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jman-is350
Im on MBWORLD and I have both Benz & Lexus in my garage. 02 GS430, 07 IS350 and two Mercedes. I have to agree that Lexus is far more reliable but NOT as fun to drive when compared to my Benz. My Benz will dust my IS350 anytime of the day. I love the electronic gadgets in my IS but the WOW factor is NOT there. Everytime I step on the gas pedal of the 55, big smiles come alive from ear to ear...

I like the new look of the 08 C-class W204 but I would stay away from it since it's the first year and probably will have lots of bugs that MB need to address. That's just my 2 cents.
I see the same pattern over and over again on this board. Some Lexus owners are most concerned with a car being number 1 for reliability. Where as the MB, BMW, etc. owners, are enthusiasts are more into the drive, handling, overall performance. If you focus solely on reliability you miss out on a lot of fun in your lifetime. There are plenty of cars other than Lexus that are "reliable enough" and are a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: 2008 Mercedes Benz C-Class vs. 2007 Lexus IS250