Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

2008 Mercedes Benz C-Class vs. 2007 Lexus IS250

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 11:34 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
I see the same pattern over and over again on this board. Some Lexus owners are most concerned with a car being number 1 for reliability. Where as the MB, BMW, etc. owners, are enthusiasts are more into the drive, handling, overall performance. If you focus solely on reliability you miss out on a lot of fun in your lifetime. There are plenty of cars other than Lexus that are "reliable enough" and are a blast to drive.
Very well said. I couldnt agree more.
Old 01-23-07, 06:46 PM
misterbear
Driver School Candidate

Default Time

I would choose the IS over a MB but not a BMW. But I see your point.

Life is short. Reliability is important but not at the top of my list. If having the most reliable car is your sole criteria, you miss out owning some great cars in your life time.
Yes, life is short. I'd rather spend my time living my life instead of spending a lot of time at the MB dealership because of YET ANOTHER electrical gremlin/ defective Mass Air Fuel Sensor/ broken window actuator/ etc. etc.

No mas MB (Chrysler) for me. NO MAS!!!!!!
Old 01-23-07, 08:31 PM
LexFather

I see the same pattern over and over again on this board. Some Lexus owners are most concerned with a car being number 1 for reliability. Where as the MB, BMW, etc. owners, are enthusiasts are more into the drive, handling, overall performance. If you focus solely on reliability you miss out on a lot of fun in your lifetime. There are plenty of cars other than Lexus that are "reliable enough" and are a blast to drive.
I see the same pattern with your posts,
"Lexus is boring"
"Lexus is no big deal"
"Everyone is better than Lexus"

If you don't think a Lexus is fun, clearly you never drove a Lexus hard and you haven't seen any of the modded cars on here.

For the record, Lexus cars handle just as good if not BETTER than Benz and Audis. Only BMW has the true edge.
Old 01-23-07, 08:33 PM
TommyLex
Rookie

omfg, definitly C-class, so traditional european design, when IS go beside it, just like a old man with a young kid stand beside

maybe i m just too old lol lol
Old 01-24-07, 08:24 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL!
I'd actually pick the C class over the IS... IMHO the C class looks much more aggressive in the second picture...
Old 01-24-07, 08:48 PM
insider
Pole Position

I say you go with the original. I mean come one, the Germans invented the car, the diesel engine, the rotary engine etc. In 1886 Mercedes had the first automobile. The Lexus is nice, but its just an imitation.
Old 01-27-07, 07:21 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

There are more large full size pics here:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/01/...cedes-c-class/
Old 01-27-07, 09:15 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

The MB looks nice, except for the front grill. Overall though, i'd have to stick with Lexus, just because of reliability and IMO the IS looks much nicer in the interior.
Old 01-27-07, 09:39 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by insider
I say you go with the original. I mean come one, the Germans invented the car, the diesel engine, the rotary engine etc. In 1886 Mercedes had the first automobile. The Lexus is nice, but its just an imitation.

And what car do you (own) and drive yourself? I have a problem beliving you own a Lexus. Fess up OK?
Old 01-27-07, 01:12 PM
DerScttsmn
Driver School Candidate

Can't really expect much objectivity from Lexus fans. As a car enthusiast I'd have difficulty picking one over the other, as I have only seen one in person (the IS). However I think the C looks a good deal more attractive both inside and out, just looking at the pics. Beyond that I'd even dare to say it would be the better performer because I'm familiar with both how Lexus and MB's drive, and I'm sure MB tuned this car to be sportier than the last. Reliability as has been said, is the rub. At the same time much has improved in the quality department since Dieter Zetsche took the helm back at MB car group in Stuttgart last year. Not to mention the W204 has undergone severe testing all over the world in a variety of conditions. It's a step in the right direction at this point.
Old 01-27-07, 03:48 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah...the biggest problems we had with our 5 MBs, BMW, and 2 P-cars were an AC that needed to be recharged on a 18 year old SL and a tempermental electrical system on a 12 year old S. On the day we sold the S it was quieter than either our current GX or SC. I will gladly trade a risk of some unreliability for a more exciting car. We have a Boxster next to the SC and it is a moch more involved and fun car, as it was designed. You really can't compare them though.

When my I wave good bye to my IS300, the only way I'll be in another lex is if I get passed the GX or my parents buy me an IS350...I'd prefer a 335i though if I had a choice.

To the OP: I wouldn't buy either one. I'd get an A4 2.0 and chip it, or get a BMW.
Old 01-27-07, 07:35 PM
Ericm
Driver School Candidate

Default Getting back to the ?

Originally Posted by andyx222
Okay, on January 19th, the 2008 C-Class was launched. As a current Lexus IS250 owner, and an ex-Mercedes Benz C-Class owner, I'm really torn between the 2. I sold my 05 C230k for the IS250, about 2 weeks ago. I did it for features and reliability. Looking at the new C-Class and all the features, I'm really reconsidering. It's due to be released late Summer 2007. What do you guys think? I know it's a silly question as this is a Lexus forum and opinions will be bias, but I'm still diggin the new w204!

BTW, panaramic sunroof will also be an option!
I think it's simple really. Just look at Consumer Reports and JD Power ratings. I think the info speaks for itself. Do you want a reliable car?

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/brand-ratings/

Off Consumer Reports:
How car brands compare

5-YEAR checkup
This graph shows how makes compare in reliability when their vehicles are five years old.
Old 01-27-07, 08:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericm
I think it's simple really. Just look at Consumer Reports and JD Power ratings. I think the info speaks for itself. Do you want a reliable car?

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/brand-ratings/

Off Consumer Reports:
How car brands compare

5-YEAR checkup
This graph shows how makes compare in reliability when their vehicles are five years old.
well put !!

You can't beat Lexus IS for sport/luxury/reliability....period!
Old 01-27-07, 09:12 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
well put !!

You can't beat Lexus IS for sport/luxury/reliability....period!
You know guys...there's more to cars than reliability.

Can the IS be beat for expected, statistical reliability? Probably (definitely) not... but there are many German cars that are perfectly reliable and there are lemons. Just as there are IS out there that have problems, there are just fewer.
Old 02-06-07, 05:23 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I see the same pattern with your posts,
"Lexus is boring"
"Lexus is no big deal"
"Everyone is better than Lexus"

If you don't think a Lexus is fun, clearly you never drove a Lexus hard and you haven't seen any of the modded cars on here.

For the record, Lexus cars handle just as good if not BETTER than Benz and Audis. Only BMW has the true edge.
That I don't agree with. Having had both a BMW and Merecedes, the handling in both of those cars is superior to Lexus. Unless Lexus changes the steering on their cars, they will not touch BMW or Mercedes.

Reliability throughout ownership is a different question. I bought my Lexus for the 'creature features' and the reliability. I miss my BMW steering dearly though, and can't wait to get back in one someday and just drive, but I did not buy a Lexus because the handling is comperable to that of the Europeans.

Quick Reply: 2008 Mercedes Benz C-Class vs. 2007 Lexus IS250