IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trade in IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 08:25 AM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the GS. My next car will be a GS 450h. I just love the styling. Especialy that wood steering wheel.
Old 01-22-07, 08:28 AM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
I drove the GS as a loaner.
I also got a loaner when they where doing my tints and I couldnt wait to get my car back. (and I have an IS250)
Old 01-22-07, 09:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I actually thought about it...

And honestly, I think the IS is better for now...

The GS350 is in an odd position. It should handle/perform as well as the IS350 (if not better), but Lexus has made it very soft and plush (and heavily nannied by safety electronics). Some people have commented that there is a lack of difference in drivability between the GS and ES; both are soft and comfortable, even though the GS is RWD and the ES is FWD. So, I question buying a $50k GS350 when it rides like a $35k ES350...

The GS needs to be a bit more aggressive before I trade up. For now, the IS is good enough for me.
Old 01-22-07, 09:38 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure the ES is FWD?! I thought RWD / AWD was a minimum standard for Lexus.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see on Lexus.com that it is FWD. That's surprising.
Old 01-22-07, 10:20 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cvex
Why 430? 0-60 is rated the same 5.9 sec. Other than more weight and gas.
But then again Im confuse because the 430 has more torque but less hp and the 350 is vice versa.

I would have say that the 430 would be faster from a stop due to the extra torque.
Its nice having a v8. Just the torque and exhaust note.....

Anyway, might was well wait for the gs460.....
Old 01-22-07, 10:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Gernby
Are you sure the ES is FWD?! I thought RWD / AWD was a minimum standard for Lexus.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see on Lexus.com that it is FWD. That's surprising.
Yup. The ES is the only FWD car of Lexus. The RX can be FWD also, but you can get it as AWD...

The ES is a great car for people that want to move up from a Camry. However, it is the least performance-oriented car in the lineup. Unfortunately, the GS350 is not that far off performance-wise...
Old 01-22-07, 11:12 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

its true about the handling/performance of the GS, also - I just don't like that big of a car. 99% of the time the back seat is empty.
Old 01-22-07, 11:20 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
And honestly, I think the IS is better for now...

The GS350 is in an odd position. It should handle/perform as well as the IS350 (if not better), but Lexus has made it very soft and plush (and heavily nannied by safety electronics). Some people have commented that there is a lack of difference in drivability between the GS and ES; both are soft and comfortable, even though the GS is RWD and the ES is FWD. So, I question buying a $50k GS350 when it rides like a $35k ES350...

The GS needs to be a bit more aggressive before I trade up. For now, the IS is good enough for me.
i dont really agree about the whole GS and ES argument. i drove both cars back to back really hard. The ES handles like a typical front driver and the ride was very squishy, absoultely boring, very little steering feel. The GS on the other hand handled a lot better, felt more stable and had better steering feel. The handling difference between the two is almost like night and day. And driving the GS450H is even better.
Old 01-22-07, 12:04 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
i dont really agree about the whole GS and ES argument. i drove both cars back to back really hard. The ES handles like a typical front driver and the ride was very squishy, absoultely boring, very little steering feel. The GS on the other hand handled a lot better, felt more stable and had better steering feel. The handling difference between the two is almost like night and day. And driving the GS450H is even better.
i haven't driven a GS, but i rode in a gs350 and it did feel a little better than the ES. the ES loaner i had was total crap... but i think the gs450h blows the gs350 away and possibly even the 430.
Old 01-22-07, 12:05 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I would but thats only because I think Flint Micah looks sexy on that car. Plus I love the styling.
Old 01-22-07, 12:29 PM
iStyle
Driver

The differences between the GS and ES shine through when each car is driven at or near its limit.

My grandfather owns an ES, and the driving experience is completely and utterly devoid of any feeling whatsoever. The ES isn't for driving enthusiasts. That's what the IS is for.
Old 01-22-07, 12:50 PM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Yup. The ES is the only FWD car of Lexus. The RX can be FWD also, but you can get it as AWD...

The ES is a great car for people that want to move up from a Camry. However, it is the least performance-oriented car in the lineup. Unfortunately, the GS350 is not that far off performance-wise...

No what the ES is great for is for buying your wife a car and having her get excited because its a Lexus and a bigger car- but you know the truth- and the rewards of a happy wife-
Old 01-22-07, 01:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by iStyle
The differences between the GS and ES shine through when each car is driven at or near its limit.
That's the problem. People who do not push the car (which are almost all of the conservative buyers of Lexus) can't tell the difference between the two.

There is a big war between the IS and 3-Series, and the competition is exciting. It makes people desire the IS350.

There is also a big war between the GS and 5-Series, which the GS is severely losing. The GS is selling far less than expected; less than the 5-Series and even Infiniti's M.

If the GS was significantly more sporty, it would be a better contender, and worth the extra premium over the ES. In turn, the ES would be able to stand alone as the "old man's" everyday car.

So far, only the IS provides a good balance between lux and performance...
Old 01-22-07, 02:54 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

According to most reviews that I have read, and from a test drive that I took in a friends GS 430, the GS just needs to be tightened up a bit. The 450h moves more in that direction. I think that Lexus needs to figure this out, and the GS will compete with the BMW 5 no problem. I love the styling of this car much more the the 5 series.
Old 01-22-07, 02:55 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

If the GS was significantly more sporty, it would be a better contender, and worth the extra premium over the ES. In turn, the ES would be able to stand alone as the "old man's" everyday car.

So far, only the IS provides a good balance between lux and performance...
Couldn't agree more. The GS430 looked great on paper, and while it had good acceleration it just wasn't much fun behind the wheel. If I needed a Japanese car that size, I'd probably have pulled the trigger on an M45.

Quick Reply: Trade in IS350?