IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Black Vs. Smoky Granite

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 11:37 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black Vs. Smoky Granite

I will be getting an IS350 within a month or so, and am trying to decide between silver and smoky granite. Honestly, I like the smoky granite a little more than the silver, but silver is so easy to keep clean and doesnt show swirl marks or minor scratches. Silver is very common, but i think you can make it easily stand out with minor add-ons like tinted windows.

i own a black car now, and will never get one again. The IS will last me a long time, but i know a black car wont stay looking that good for that long.

My question is: How much of a difference is there between the black and smoky granite in regards to showing imperfections. I'm not so much worried about being dirty, rather the effects of time on either color.

any imput would be appreciated!

Thanks

-AA
Old 01-23-07, 11:43 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my G was black and after a while it got old. every fine scratch showed up, paint wasn't metallic so there was no depth, etc etc. my 2IS in granite rocks! doesn't show things nearly as much, has lots of depth, and really sparkles in the sun. don't think i'll ever buy a blk car again but i'd buy another granite in a heartbeat.
Old 01-23-07, 11:47 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
I will be getting an IS350 within a month or so, and am trying to decide between silver and smoky granite. Honestly, I like the smoky granite a little more than the silver, but silver is so easy to keep clean and doesnt show swirl marks or minor scratches. Silver is very common, but i think you can make it easily stand out with minor add-ons like tinted windows.

i own a black car now, and will never get one again. The IS will last me a long time, but i know a black car wont stay looking that good for that long.

My question is: How much of a difference is there between the black and smoky granite in regards to showing imperfections. I'm not so much worried about being dirty, rather the effects of time on either color.

any imput would be appreciated!

Thanks

-AA
Can't speak to the effects of time on 1 color vs. the other, but one bit of insight on SGM I can give you is that I let my dealership wash my car pretty much every week and there are ZERO swirls or marks of any kind. While SGM is a dark color, it doesn't seem to be as nearly as tough to keep swirl-free as black is. With the exception of a few small rock chips on the hood (grrr...), my paint is in excellent condition, and I've had the car since 11/05. Obviously, Tungsten Pearl will be even that much more forgiving.

Last edited by Foxberry; 01-23-07 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Revised "silver" to "Tungsten Pearl"
Old 01-23-07, 12:17 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

SGM was my first choice, but they had a TP* one on the lot with all the options I wanted, so I got it (and added chrome wheels). No regrets!!! I'd say get the first one of either that has EXACTLY which options you want. I got everything but the fancy cruise control, ML, and headlight washers.

*Note: A 40k+ car is Tungsten Pearl, not silver.
Old 01-23-07, 12:19 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CWS
SGM was my first choice, but they had a TP* one on the lot with all the options I wanted, so I got it. No regrets!!! I'd say get the first one of either that has EXACTLY which options you want. I got everything but the fancy cruise control, ML, and headlight washers.

Hahah +1! Thats what I say too!
Old 01-23-07, 12:26 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by CWS
but they had a TP* one on the lot

<snip>

I'd spell out "tungsten pearl". Where I come from, TP is toilet paper.
Old 01-23-07, 01:02 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
Black shows off imperfections more than the charcoal color of SGM.

Being dirty is one thing, but a swirl marks, scratches, and discolorations will be more noticable with black than SGM.

As for the "effects of time," black may "age" faster, but both colors can be enhanced with regular waxings and maintenance...
Old 01-23-07, 01:10 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sgm is better,black shows everything.
Old 01-23-07, 02:12 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

SGM is the fastest color in all is.....
Old 01-23-07, 02:14 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

black will show more. you can see dirt and scratches more easily. granted i wasn't gonna get any other color than red, SGM is my second favorite color for the 2IS. and i think you'll enjoy any color 2IS, but the SGM and all the mica colors look great in the light.
Old 01-23-07, 02:42 PM
maz
Lead Lap

When I went to the dealership after waiting for this car for about a year, I had my choice between an SGM and a Black, both with the Lux/ML/Nav package. These were my 2 favorite colors w/ the exact options I wanted, and were both 2007 models (this was a rare opportunity). After checking out both cars, I went with the SGM. It's a little easier to keep clean, and it looks amazing especially when just waxed and in the sun. But you can't go wrong with any color on this car.
Old 01-23-07, 03:03 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
I'd spell out "tungsten pearl". Where I come from, TP is toilet paper.
LOL, Bichon! OK, but I think anyone on THIS forum would know what TP meant. After having my car called silver too many times, I decided to reiterate in my every post, in my sig. (Hell, I could get a Kia that's "silver"!)
Old 01-23-07, 03:08 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

"Smoky!! SMOKY!!"..."im not the smartest man in tha world, but it looks to me like you takin a sh##t in yo own back yard!!" "don worry man i wont tell nobody"
.......yea go wit tha smoky
Old 01-23-07, 03:10 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CWS
Good point, my post is revised
Old 01-23-07, 03:11 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Can't speak to the effects of time on 1 color vs. the other, but one bit of insight on SGM I can give you is that I let my dealership wash my car pretty much every week and there are ZERO swirls or marks of any kind. While SGM is a dark color, it doesn't seem to be as nearly as tough to keep swirl-free as black is. With the exception of a few small rock chips on the hood (grrr...), my paint is in excellent condition, and I've had the car since 11/05. Obviously, silver will be even that much more forgiving.
Thanks for this...it is great news as I should be getting my special order SGM 350 soon and I had concerns re visible swirl marks.

Quick Reply: Black Vs. Smoky Granite