IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TRUE LIFE: I Still haven't floored the car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 05:42 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually very rarely "floor" it in my cars. I seem to get about the same acceleration with 1/2 to 3/4 pedal depression (something to do with emissions control/fuel mappings?). I only drive spiritedly with manual transmissions, which (of course) allow you to rev to any point in the same gear. Lexus automatics seem to like to get into top gear as quickly as possible, and require you to lay into the gas pedal harder in order to reach redline.

"Flooring it" once in a while is [typically] not going to do much noticeable harm to your drivetrain. But do it often, and you will notice.
Old 01-24-07, 05:42 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Ha Ha you guys are funny.......
Old 01-24-07, 05:50 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
I actually very rarely "floor" it in my cars. I seem to get about the same acceleration with 1/2 to 3/4 pedal depression (something to do with emissions control/fuel mappings?). I only drive spiritedly with manual transmissions, which (of course) allow you to rev to any point in the same gear. Lexus automatics seem to like to get into top gear as quickly as possible, and require you to lay into the gas pedal harder in order to reach redline.

"Flooring it" once in a while is [typically] not going to do much noticeable harm to your drivetrain. But do it often, and you will notice.
Yes, well I'm sure when you *floor it* in your new Si you really get down the road! :P
Old 01-24-07, 05:51 AM
IStreefidy
Pole Position

FLOOR THAT SON' BI!TCH!

trust me YOU WONT REGRET IT!
plus, why else did you buy the 350???
Old 01-24-07, 06:00 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Yes, well I'm sure when you *floor it* in your new Si you really get down the road! :P
I won't know until after it's broken in
But I will say that the Si feels a lot quicker than the IS250 I just got out of. Like the S2000, it revs with great ease, and feels very light/quick on its feet.
Old 01-24-07, 06:22 AM
cvex
Driver

Every new car that I have own I start to floor it every now and then at 400 miles.
1) the burst in cylinder pressure/heat will seal the rings better if not sooner
2)Burn off carbon deposits if any, running premium gas is most likely to get alot of deposits on piston top, valves, mainifold, etc.
3)Less chance of oil comsumption in the future because the rings are set it.
4) you get to enjoy the 306 hp whiplash !
Especially on my G35, which is known to have oil consumption, I did what I stated and at 10,000 miles when I sold it, it did not consume or burn a drop of oil. Engine was smooth and strong as it can be.
Old 01-24-07, 06:33 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

DO IT !!! Go to a large parking lot, turn off the VDIM, and power break the s$@t out of it .then hold it to the floor ,let go of the break ,and leave your mark!!!!!!you`ll have a new respect for your car!!

another note :these advanced computers learn your driving habbits and tune the car to that.thats one reason why you see all of the diff times at the track with these cars.

Last edited by HKS350; 01-24-07 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-24-07, 08:15 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the car needs to be open up once in a while.
Old 01-24-07, 08:21 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i floor my car at least once a day. probably why my avg gas mileage is at around 15.x
Old 01-24-07, 08:25 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

you need to do it once in a while to get the engine better....Now I think that is the reason for you to floor it right?? floor it.......I floor my after 2 weeks of owning it.
Old 01-24-07, 08:36 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cvex
1) the burst in cylinder pressure/heat will seal the rings better if not sooner
2)Burn off carbon deposits if any, running premium gas is most likely to get alot of deposits on piston top, valves, mainifold, etc.
1) According to the auto manufacturers, a cautious, gradual break-in is what ensures that the rings set correctly, not beating the engine with full-throttle runs. Further, from what I've heard, beating it hard can cause uneven wear on the rings because of the high heat associated with the particularily tight clearance between the new rings and piston walls. If you have some data to support your claim, please post it. Otherwise, I'd suggest not stating your claim as fact.

2) From everything I've heard, the gasolines today are enhanced with detergents to ensure that deposits don't build up on the valves, etc. Still, I don't know why premium fuel would lead to any more buildup than the other 2 grades that are available.
Old 01-24-07, 08:57 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The break-in process is not complete unless you have revved the engine to its max RPMs. Just before the break-in oil is changed you should do several max RPM pulls. This will insure that all the vital components have reached their maximum distances/stress/seating levels.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 01-24-07 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-24-07, 09:23 AM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

Drive It Like You Stoled It!..* Every Fricking Day!..*
Old 01-24-07, 09:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
1) According to the auto manufacturers, a cautious, gradual break-in is what ensures that the rings set correctly, not beating the engine with full-throttle runs. Further, from what I've heard, beating it hard can cause uneven wear on the rings because of the high heat associated with the particularily tight clearance between the new rings and piston walls. If you have some data to support your claim, please post it. Otherwise, I'd suggest not stating your claim as fact.

2) From everything I've heard, the gasolines today are enhanced with detergents to ensure that deposits don't build up on the valves, etc. Still, I don't know why premium fuel would lead to any more buildup than the other 2 grades that are available.
BS. You need to build a few engines and disassemble them before making this kind of recommendation. I have. More than a few for both street and competition. Easy break-in does not equal good power or good oil consumption. Besides, the rings are broken-in in about 10 minutes. It's the pistons that have issues and all you need to do is progressively heat cycle them until you reach full load.

If you think the manufacturer's advice is based on sound principles, why do they give you the idiotic advice to take it easy on the brakes for the first 200 miles, but every single brake manufacturer tells you to properly bed the brakes? Same thing with the engine. The advice is not for best performance, it's to keep idiots from endangering themselves and others.

For the OP - the engine isn't fully broken-in until you've put full load on it. While I"m not one to tell someone I've never met in person to floor it, your engine is still waiting for you to finish the break-in process.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-24-07 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-24-07, 10:28 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

lobuxracer, so I can carefully break my new engine in for 10 minutes, and then go beat the daylights out of it to finish the procedure? OK, I'll let you know how that works out for me.

My opinion is that going ~1000 miles before pushing the engine is probably overkill. But I don't see how pushing it hard, right away, is going to result in an engine that's less likely to burn oil. I understand the need to prevent crowning on the cylinder walls, but it's never been an obvious issue for me, and I've always followed the recommended break-in procedure pretty closely.

Quick Reply: TRUE LIFE: I Still haven't floored the car...