IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TRUE LIFE: I Still haven't floored the car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07 | 03:07 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Jeremy - you have good intentions, but your words are not conducive to a discussion. This is the Internet. These are not personal attacks and you have no need to defend yourself. Just state your case.

BTW, I disagree about glazing the clutches, and yes, I know there are a few of them in the gearbox. If the fluid is up to temperature, the ECM will take care of the rest. Notice the gearbox won't even shift into 5th or 6th until the fluid reaches a minimum temperature.
your right I retract the jacka$! statement but not the last part.as for glazing do you think the auto clutches glaze (in your opinon)?I think this is truely the only part of a car that needs more than an hour break in period.
Old 01-24-07 | 03:07 PM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
BTW, I disagree about glazing the clutches, and yes, I know there are a few of them in the gearbox. If the fluid is up to temperature, the ECM will take care of the rest. Notice the gearbox won't even shift into 5th or 6th until the fluid reaches a minimum temperature. They've done a lot of work figuring out how to make their gearboxes survive warranty and they've programmed the ECM to help them stay out of warranty repairs.

lobux-

I have been following this forum since June 06 when I got my IS and I value your advice. I have noticed since the weather turned cold that my car won't go into 6th for a good while... now I understand why. So now I am concerned about your comment about Toyota programming their gearboxes to stay out of warranty repairs. Does this mean that I should expect transmission problems after the warranty is up? This concerns me as I have left the German car camp for Lexus mainly due to reliability... My choice was between the Audi A4 Quattro and the Lexus and chose the Lexus because I expected reliability. My last car blew a turbo, ENGINE, wastegate, and the Tiptronic 5-Speed automatic transmission... all within 6 months. I don't want to go through that again.

MJB
Old 01-24-07 | 04:07 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by MJB_LEX
lobux-

I have been following this forum since June 06 when I got my IS and I value your advice. I have noticed since the weather turned cold that my car won't go into 6th for a good while... now I understand why. So now I am concerned about your comment about Toyota programming their gearboxes to stay out of warranty repairs. Does this mean that I should expect transmission problems after the warranty is up? This concerns me as I have left the German car camp for Lexus mainly due to reliability... My choice was between the Audi A4 Quattro and the Lexus and chose the Lexus because I expected reliability. My last car blew a turbo, ENGINE, wastegate, and the Tiptronic 5-Speed automatic transmission... all within 6 months. I don't want to go through that again.

MJB
When cold, our cars will not go into 6th if not up to normal operating temperature. This is a feature on almost all new or fairly new Lexuses (My 01 RX does it too). If your car still doesn't go into 6th after its up to normal temp then there is a problem. My assumption is that it is used to keep RPMs up (holding in low gear) to help bring the engine to operating temp faster.
Old 01-24-07 | 04:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by MJB_LEX
lobux-

MJB
Originally Posted by VikDiddy
When cold, our cars will not go into 6th if not up to normal operating temperature. This is a feature on almost all new or fairly new Lexuses (My 01 RX does it too). If your car still doesn't go into 6th after its up to normal temp then there is a problem. My assumption is that it is used to keep RPMs up (holding in low gear) to help bring the engine to operating temp faster.
Before this gets too cloudy, first, the reason they've programmed the gearbox this way is to extend service life. Not just squeak past warranty, but to provide a reasonable expectation for service life, which for driveline parts is ~250,000 miles (or ~400k km). Given there is no prescribed fluid change, Toyota are very confident this gearbox will deliver for many years to come. However, they've been smart about it and stacked the deck to help ensure this outcome. That's why you won't get shifts under certain conditions when the fluid is cold. Here are those conditions:
Attached Thumbnails TRUE LIFE: I Still haven't floored the car...-a760e-info.gif  
Old 01-24-07 | 07:32 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Forget everything and just go floor your car already!

What's the worse that can happen? If something happens to your powertrain, I am sure it will be covered under warranty....
Old 01-24-07 | 08:04 PM
Lexus Test Driver

I cannot imagine babying this car...it simply wasn't built to be babied. You don't put this much technology and power into a machine, and then bog it in every gear. Stop it. Drive your car.

I have never owned a car that went through the "break in" period without getting floored a few times, including a pick up truck that has 160k miles with no engine problems. Break in procedures, in my opinion, are more about manufacturer liability and less about true requirements for engine longevity. The engines are largely broken in at the factory...and if you think they're babying them during initial break in, you'd be wrong.
Old 01-24-07 | 10:25 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

hey guys, checking back in. i floored it after every light today. i got out of school at 930 AM and then as soon as i hit the road i floored it. vrooom vrrroooom. haha, it was quite the thrill. by the time i pulled into my garage about 20 min ago. my mpg was at 14.0 wooo! yea i wasnt driving around all day, but i went to a friends house. basically, i drove about 30 miles today, and wasted nearly 1/4 tank. niiice.
Old 01-25-07 | 04:58 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

YEAH!
Old 01-25-07 | 06:28 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by ron_is350
hey guys, checking back in. i floored it after every light today. i got out of school at 930 AM and then as soon as i hit the road i floored it. vrooom vrrroooom. haha, it was quite the thrill. by the time i pulled into my garage about 20 min ago. my mpg was at 14.0 wooo! yea i wasnt driving around all day, but i went to a friends house. basically, i drove about 30 miles today, and wasted nearly 1/4 tank. niiice.
Nice! My MPG average is around 15 so don't worry
Old 01-25-07 | 06:49 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

Originally Posted by ron_is350
Life is good huh?
Old 01-25-07 | 07:01 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Haha.

I drove at avg speeds of 100 mph on the way to work today, I was running late and the I-state was clear! No cops.. an older mustang pulled next to me and I left him at 120, which I cut it off at. Vroom is right! But, I guess really I just admitted to my stupidity, but once you hit 100mph its a HUGE thrill!

When ya stomp on it from 70 to 100 let us know!
Old 01-25-07 | 10:04 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

haha, alright ill check back in when i go 70-100. so this morning i woke up to get coffee, i started my car and looked at the display-avg mpg 14.0 and avg tank mpg = 13.2....damn she's been working hard.
Old 01-25-07 | 11:13 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

When we speed, just remember to be fast and cautious! not fast and stupid!
Old 01-25-07 | 02:24 PM
ISKLR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 15951
I cannot imagine babying this car...it simply wasn't built to be babied. You don't put this much technology and power.....

Had to stop you there.....
Old 01-25-07 | 02:27 PM
ISKLR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Haha.

I drove at avg speeds of 100 mph on the way to work today, I was running late and the I-state was clear! No cops.. an older mustang pulled next to me and I left him at 120, which I cut it off at. Vroom is right! But, I guess really I just admitted to my stupidity, but once you hit 100mph its a HUGE thrill!

When ya stomp on it from 70 to 100 let us know!
Pull up to me on the freeway

Quick Reply: TRUE LIFE: I Still haven't floored the car...