IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: are you running synthetic or a synthetic blend?
full synthetic
59.95%
synthetic blend
4.79%
dinosaur oil
9.82%
whatever the dealer fills it with
25.44%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

how many are running full sythetic or a synthetic blend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 12:16 AM
Lupin5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
If I remember correctly, 5W-20 is the new recommendation from Lexus.
Thanks for the update. Didn't know that. I might switch when it's time to do the oil change.
Old 01-25-07, 12:22 AM
Yuri
Rookie

Hmm...good to know...going to switch @ next oil change
Old 01-25-07, 12:35 AM
IS2Fizzle
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually I use Mobil 1 Synthetic when I do oil changes. But this time I'm using Castrol Synthetic 5w30.
Old 01-25-07, 05:00 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
just curious, thanks.
Interestingly, in the UK and Europe, Lexus promotes the use of quality mineral oils instead of high priced synthetic oils as a cost benefit of ownership, aided by relatively short service intervals (10k miles for intermediate servicing and 20k for full services).
Old 01-25-07, 06:06 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured lobuxracer would have answered this. He's more qualified than I am, but I'll give my .02 about it.

Synthetic oil doesn't break down as quickly as conventional oil, so you don't have to change it as often. It is also supposed to handle high temps better, so it is better for "heavy duty" use. Even if you are a "regular Joe" driver, synthetic oil still makes financial sense because you can go twice as long between changes.
Thing is most of the owners here still change their synthetic oil at or before the scheduled service interval,...which as you correctly pointed is one of the main benefits of using synthetic oil in the first place! It's really a waste of what is probable still "good" oil.
Old 01-25-07, 08:36 AM
gcool12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Some people have been having issues with the hydraulic valve lash adjusters not pumping up quickly and hearing a clattering sound on initial start up. Let us know if you start having that issue.

My personal preference has always been 10w-30 synthetic since it needs no VI modifiers to meet the specs. No VI modifiers means the oil lasts inherently longer in service because you don't have long chain polymers getting cracked and the oil losing visocosity. Still, I'm following the recommendations during warranty for sure, so 5W-20 it is for now.

I'm sure Pennzoil is a decent oil, but Mobil 1 has been doing this for a very long time and I have a lot of experience with it (and Red Line) so I'm pretty much set on those two. RP and Amsoil also make excellent products, they're just harder to find in Wal Mart than Mobil 1.
My car does make a clattering noise on initial startup what can i do to fix this?
Old 01-25-07, 08:42 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Thing is most of the owners here still change their synthetic oil at or before the scheduled service interval,...which as you correctly pointed is one of the main benefits of using synthetic oil in the first place! It's really a waste of what is probable still "good" oil.
so would you recommend waiting say, 10K miles before getting a change, instead of the 5K recommended? i don't want an annoying light bothering me for 5000 miles, or can i just reset it myself?
Old 01-25-07, 08:52 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jsquared
so would you recommend waiting say, 10K miles before getting a change, instead of the 5K recommended? i don't want an annoying light bothering me for 5000 miles, or can i just reset it myself?
The light can be reset anytime using the procedure in the manual. However, I think it would be a mistake to run the factory fill oil for more than 5K. As I mentioned earlier, I changed my factory fill oil at 5K, and had it tested by Blackstone. The oil was okay, but not great.
Old 01-25-07, 09:10 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

The light can be reset anytime using the procedure in the manual. However, I think it would be a mistake to run the factory fill oil for more than 5K. As I mentioned earlier, I changed my factory fill oil at 5K, and had it tested by Blackstone. The oil was okay, but not great.
ohh.. well i switched to mobil1 synthetic at 10K. im at 13K now, so i guess i can wait till 20K to get an oil change?
Old 01-25-07, 09:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jsquared
ohh.. well i switched to mobil1 synthetic at 10K. im at 13K now, so i guess i can wait till 20K to get an oil change?
Oh, I misunderstood. You would probably be fine waiting, but you should at least change your filter at 15K and top it back off.
Old 01-25-07, 09:21 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, I misunderstood. You would probably be fine waiting, but you should at least change your filter at 15K and top it back off.
sounds good... thanks!
Old 01-25-07, 03:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,422 Posts

This is precisely what I've been doing for many years now with excellent results.
Old 01-25-07, 03:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Originally Posted by gcool12
My car does make a clattering noise on initial startup what can i do to fix this?
Depends on a few things. Is it a 250 or 350? The early production 250's have a TSB for a particular issue that requires replacing the valve lash adjusters. If you have a 350 - are you running a dealer supplied oil, or are you running your own choice? Do you know what weight? This could have a lot to do with the noise. It could also have nothing to do with it if there is a fault or failure somewhere in the cam chain tensioners or the valve lash adjusters. The only way to know for sure is to have it checked out at the dealership. It is a warrantable issue for sure.
Old 01-25-07, 08:55 PM
cre8
Driver

Royal Purple 5W20 since first oil change.lovely stuff and my baby deserve the BEST.
Old 01-26-07, 04:34 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Still using dino oil...will switch to Mobile 1 synthetic at first oil change

Quick Reply: how many are running full sythetic or a synthetic blend?