IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"I know a dealer"

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 03:27 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "I know a dealer"

Has anyone here purchased their lexus, or any other car for that matter from a dealer they've personally known?

A friend of mine knows a Lexus dealer, and i'm curious to know what kind of a deal they can get me. Its a little premature now to bother my friend to ask or to go in and meet the dealer.

Are the dealers themselves able to give discounts to friends, or would you have to be upper management to really do something?

Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks!
Old 01-24-07, 03:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Management decides if a car can be sold at "below expected" cost. Most dealerships have goals/quotas, and management decides whether or not to sell the car at a haggled price.

If your friend has a hook-up, it may help bring the price nearer or below the dealership's quota, but it does not guarantee a sale at a price you want. You still have to deal with the business, not the friendship...
Old 01-24-07, 04:24 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
You still have to deal with the business, not the friendship...
And in this case, the friendship isn't even first hand. If I owned a retail establishment, I might be willing to cut a break to a few of my close friends, but I can't imagine extending that courtesy to a "friend of a friend".
Old 01-24-07, 05:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

I have a friend who sells Scion/Toyota. He told me, and I believe this, that typically being a friend of a friend gets you nothing special, and often gets you a worse deal because most people won't argue over price when you're getting the "friend" deal. So they end up 4 or 5 pounders. Not minis like we were expecting. I know I could get a deal from him on something, and I could ask him what's good to buy for a friend (like what are they really discounting), but being a friend of a friend or even friend of someone who works at the dealership doesn't guarantee anything. You still have to have your guard up, you still have to tell them what you will and won't buy, and you still have to do your homework before showing up if you want the best deal.

And if you think they don't high-five after closing a four or five pounder, you're kidding yourself.
Old 01-24-07, 06:51 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
And in this case, the friendship isn't even first hand. If I owned a retail establishment, I might be willing to cut a break to a few of my close friends, but I can't imagine extending that courtesy to a "friend of a friend".
i would not even do that, that is how i pay my bills, my margin is well thought out. My "true" freinds would understand and never expect it....
i agree with lobux, he may be your friend, but he can screw you harder and easier and do it with out you flinching......
go buy it from somewhere you dontknow the saleman, it will save your freindship......
Old 01-24-07, 10:33 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When buying cars, remember that there's always some sucker who will walk in right after you and buy the undercoat, the tires for life, and that extra special paint sealant for only $1295. ESPECIALLY when you're talking relatively low volume luxury cars.
Old 01-25-07, 01:17 AM
DKB
Rookie

I once sold cars for 2 LONG years and I know a "friend" is an easy sale.Just like a referral You give them a price that is a lil better than fair. There happy your happy they dont feel like they were taken and you didnt take them.
I sold my dad a pathfinder that was stolen from the lot because of me (not my fault a professional ring that hit maybe 20 major dealerships in DC area but they were caught with the PF..) I sold him it for $1000 over invoice. He was happy.
BUUUUT I know at the end of the month a customer bought the same EXACT truck as a salesman who was selling 15 cars a month for $500 Cheaper than he did....

I also know a case where we were 1 hour from closing at the end of the month and a customer came in and we were 1 sale from a 15k bonus from the manufactuer and he bought the hottest car on the lot that was going for sticker with a crappy trade in value and he got it for $2000 under invoice.
Old 01-25-07, 01:37 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have a friend who sells Scion/Toyota. He told me, and I believe this, that typically being a friend of a friend gets you nothing special, and often gets you a worse deal because most people won't argue over price when you're getting the "friend" deal. So they end up 4 or 5 pounders. Not minis like we were expecting. I know I could get a deal from him on something, and I could ask him what's good to buy for a friend (like what are they really discounting), but being a friend of a friend or even friend of someone who works at the dealership doesn't guarantee anything. You still have to have your guard up, you still have to tell them what you will and won't buy, and you still have to do your homework before showing up if you want the best deal.

And if you think they don't high-five after closing a four or five pounder, you're kidding yourself.
I would have to agree with lobux also. I feel that you get a better deal dealing with stanger ( business ) than somebody you know ( friend ). My brother knew the sales manager of a dealership and almost paid MSRP. He only bought b/c the manager was his good client. I emailed a couple of dealerships his exact same car and got responses for $1800 - 2200 less!

conclusion: no matter how good a friend or relative... remember it's still a business and be upfront about how much you will pay!!!
Old 01-25-07, 04:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewj12
I saved about $10k on my lexus because a friend of mine is an employee at toyota.
It doesn't matter WHO you know, NO dealership will EVER sell a car at $6,000 BELOW cost! EVER!
Old 01-25-07, 07:18 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
A friend of mine knows a Lexus dealer, and i'm curious to know what kind of a deal they can get me.
Welcome to Club Lexus!

May I ask what the nature of relationship your friend has with this dealer? Friends with a salesperson or friends with a manager? Or is he just a customer of theirs?
In any case, I recommend using any and all resources available to get the best deal possible. You should absolutely give this dealer an opportunity to sell you a car, but you should do your homework and shop another dealer too.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-07, 09:24 AM
scawacs
Driver

i had the same experience when buying my car.

cousin of a friend was working at longo so i went there. he gave me a price and assured me over and over again it was the best price in the market. i was ready to buy it the next day when my uncle made a last minute visit to south bay lexus, and got the same package and color for $5000 less even without haggling. ended up with a free spoiler too.

my lesson: never trust anyone.
Old 01-25-07, 09:30 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scawacs
my lesson: never trust anyone.
i dunno about anyone... but never trust a salesperson.

it can go both ways, i think depending on who you know exactly. i'd guess that someone higher up will probably give you more of a break.
Old 01-25-07, 02:53 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

AsianGirl, My friend owns a mortgage company and did the dealer's mortgage and saved him a substantial amount of money.

As far as other comments on here, I appreciate them all, but was not questioning the loyalty of my friend's friend, but just wondering what kind of deal I could expect given he actually is willing to get me a good deal.

scawacs, did you do any research before you went to your friend? I think it would have been painfully obvious that your friend's cousin was trying to screw you, or sell you a different car. Almost buying when its a $5000 difference with no haggling doesnt sound to me like you did your dealer research or at least checked Edmunds and KBB.

Thanks for all your replies...i'll let you know how it goes in about a month!!
Old 01-25-07, 03:59 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
Almost buying when its a $5000 difference with no haggling doesnt sound to me like you did your dealer research or at least checked Edmunds and KBB.
Considering that even at MSRP there isn't $5000 markup on the IS, I'm finding this one a bit hard to swallow.
Old 01-25-07, 04:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Good luck, do your homework, and keep your eyes open. You'll get a good deal.

Quick Reply: "I know a dealer"