IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anybody hearing a knock sound on their passenger side???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 06:18 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody hearing a knock sound on their passenger side???

Hi all,

My wife has been complaining about this knock sounds like (Tuckk) thats appears to be heard intermitently while she is driving. She was innitially thinking it was stones which was hitting ther car until lately when she was on a stop sign and she heard that noise.

I was driving the car last weekend and I taught I heard it as well while I was stopping on a traffic light. It was more like the noise was coming from the interior passenger side.. either deep inside the glove box or behind the dash panel. I am not how to recreate this issue with the dealer and they are going to happily send me home saying they cannot replicate it ..

Once I read in this forum that someone was complaining about a noise in their glove compartment and planning to bring it in to the dealer.. hope he/she will give some insights.

Do you guys think it could be a blower motor ?? maybe at certain RPM it is hititng some loose wires or anything within it?? is there a blower motor on the passenger side ??

Thanks..
Old 01-25-07, 06:26 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I heard this noise too. It sounds like it was coming from the passenger side vent near the door, but it was actually the sunglasses moving around in the holder. Check it out before you go to the dealer again.
Old 01-25-07, 06:33 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If the passenger's seatbelt is twisted the buckle will knock against the B pillar trim. Make sure the belt hangs freely.
Old 01-25-07, 07:13 AM
sk72
Pole Position

1. Hmm.. I can rule out the sunglass compartment cause her sunglass wold not fit in there so it is empty.

2. And for the seatbelt it can be ruled out too cause at any point of time only one person drives the car and the passenger side seatbelt are intact as it came from factory.

The only thing left would be to check the glove compartment itself.. I'll probbaly inspect it later this weekend.

Thanks a lot guys.. n other's pls flow in more possibilities that can cause this issue..
Old 01-25-07, 08:33 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, I recently heard this also out of the blue. I took my passenger seat belt and attached it to the buckle (to make sure it didn't hit the b-pillar). But still hear the noise. Sometimes, i hear it, other times I don't.

Currently the squeaking and clanking in this car is really starting to annoy me. I don't have this problem on the RX330 at all.

Atleast when i had my A4, the problems were addressable. These squeak noise's are the worst to bring to a dealer. Cause sometimes they have no clue either.

The sound does seem like something like rocks or snow chunks stuck stuck under the car and was shooting up and hitting it when i drove.
Old 01-25-07, 08:51 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the side panel where you can put papers, etc. maybe theres something in there, like a water bottle or something. i heard something similar before, only to realize it was my gf's hairclip in there.
Old 01-25-07, 08:57 AM
kiprich
Driver School Candidate

Hi, some more about noises in the IS... the early IS series made a noise like a stone hitting the car. The noise came from the dashboard.

The solution for this problem is known by the Lexus dealers, the problem seems to be the construction of the heating behind the dashboard. The hard plastic makes loud noises on the metal. The dealer can fix it by putting small rubber pieces between the plastic and metal.
Old 01-25-07, 09:28 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=r1lee;2377637]Currently the squeaking and clanking in this car is really starting to annoy me. I don't have this problem on the RX330 at all.
QUOTE]

Did you get the dealer to do that noise kit fix?
Old 01-25-07, 11:02 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kiprich
Hi, some more about noises in the IS... the early IS series made a noise like a stone hitting the car. The noise came from the dashboard.

The solution for this problem is known by the Lexus dealers, the problem seems to be the construction of the heating behind the dashboard. The hard plastic makes loud noises on the metal. The dealer can fix it by putting small rubber pieces between the plastic and metal.

Exactly, I am going to print this and bring it to the dealer
Old 01-25-07, 12:47 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call dealer about seat noise/dash rattle TSB. They will know. If they give you any BS, pay $10 and pull the TSB yourself.

http://techinfo.lexus.com/
Old 01-29-07, 02:05 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kiprich

Okay.. the dealer kept the car for almost 20 HRs just to tell me that they found a sunglass in the glove compartment which was loose and could have made this noise. My wife verified she placed it there on the day we arrived at the dealership..

I printed out "kiprich" feedback and told the dealer that this was the exact thing we are hearing and he went over to the tech and later came back and told us that "kiprich" model is IS220 in NL... darn

The service personnel was the nicest I have seen, so I told him that the next time I hear it and get a more accurate info, I will bring it in and have your tech keep it for a day or so to identify the issue.

The best part.. the moment I drove <.2 miles from the dealer I heard it again ..

The knocking sound is exactly coming from the center part of the dash console where the center speaker is.. it is like plastic knocking.. I am not sure if it is the speaker connection wires which are shorting and it is coming from the speaker itself.. anyone else have this issue ??? any ideas
Old 01-29-07, 02:36 PM
ISHON
Driver School Candidate

I do have this problem on my IS250 and first I thought maybe the plastic housing in the center console is snap in too tight or something. But yeah, this noise will only appear sometimes not all the time.
Old 01-29-07, 03:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts
Default Dash Noise TSIB

Since yours is not an '06, this TSIB probably doesn't apply, but check it anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody hearing a knock sound on their passenger side???-dash-nvh-tsib.gif  
Old 01-29-07, 04:18 PM
acl15
Lead Lap

where did you get that tsib?

is there a section of this forum that has other tsb's posted? I kind of need to find the one for the center dash behind the ac vent because it just started to rattle in there for me.
Old 01-29-07, 04:44 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Thats suprising my VIN# is JTHCK26227XXXX249 .. does that mean I can bring this tsib to their concern??

Quick Reply: Anybody hearing a knock sound on their passenger side???