IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shift delay in manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 12:31 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shift delay in manual mode

from what I read about the IS-F. It shifts without delays in manual mode. So we know it can be done.

Do you think with enough of us complaining about the delay, will Lexus issue a fix (TSB)? They did with the brake dust.

What do you think?

revised question:
I mean the SMG-like operation, where the plastic toys behind the steering wheel will acutally function as paddle shifters.

Last edited by Dj_AmtraX; 01-25-07 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-25-07, 12:42 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG ... where can I find this TSB for the brake dust? I thought it was myth, I need to LRN2READ!

Or better yet.. anyone have a link to the TSB?

Last edited by IS_Mine; 01-25-07 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Cause Break and Brake are not the same!
Old 01-25-07, 12:44 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

You have to pay $10 to pull it. But it is there. Just call the dealer for a replacement pad. No rotor resurface. Just pads.

Now, back to the topic. please...
Old 01-25-07, 01:42 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

It's highly unlikely because there's nothing actually "wrong" with the transmission. It is operating as it is designed. As for Dustless pads, this is a myth. The TSB in which you speak is a Canadian bulletin and calls for the replacement of the exact same pads that you have on your car now. There are no "less dusty" pads for the 350, although, we are all still waiting for someone to install GS450H pads on their 350 and get back with us with results.
Old 01-25-07, 01:55 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no "delay" in the shifting of the transmission - the A760E is one of the quickest shifting automatic transmissions on the market. What you're referring to as the "delay" is the difference in time between when you hit the "paddle shifters" to when the transmission actually shifts. The specs quoted on the IS-F's transmission refer to the quickness of the actual shifts from one gear to another, not the time that it takes from human input to shift. Just keep in mind that there is no "manual mode" on the IS - the transmission has a "sport mode" that allows the driver to select the maximum gear range that the car will operate within. Here's how the Lexus service manual describes the transmission:

By moving the shift lever to the front (“+” position) or to the rear (“-” position), the driver can select the desired shift range position. Also, the shift paddle switch is adopted, which enables changing the shift ranges while the driver is holding the steering wheel. Thus, the driver is able to shift gears with a manual-like feel.

This Multi-mode automatic transmission is designed to allow the driver to switch the gear ranges; not for manually selecting single gears.

An S mode indicator light which illuminates when the S mode position is selected and a shift range indicator light, which indicates the range position, have been provided in the combination meter.
It remains to be seen whether the IS-F's transmission will give us an SMG-like operation, where the plastic toys behind the steering wheel will acutally function as paddle shifters.

Javier
Old 01-25-07, 02:46 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I can't believe some of your people buy these expensive cars and then worry about them year round. How do you enjoy your car?

Your brakes and your tranny are fine lol.
Old 01-25-07, 05:16 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

javyLSU,

I understand what you are saying and how the "S" mode works. I may not have asked the question the right way. I am sorry.

revised question:
I mean the SMG-like operation, where the plastic toys behind the steering wheel will acutally function as paddle shifters.
Old 01-25-07, 06:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

No I don't think they will issue a TSB. This "issue" is a feature request, and I believe it will be handled the same way Lexus handled the VSC and TRAC off feature requests. It may exist on a later model, but those who purchased early will not have this feature made available to them.

What really needs to happen is someone needs to crack Toyota's encryption for their ECM code, disassemble TCCS, find a way to change the basic operation of the feature, encrypt the results and load them onto the ECM. If this were a Civic, we'd just ask Hondata to come up with a solution and flash it. End of complaint. Toyota have not allowed this (yet) and everyone given legitimate access to TCCS has been sworn to secrecy.
Old 01-25-07, 07:35 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No I don't think they will issue a TSB. This "issue" is a feature request, and I believe it will be handled the same way Lexus handled the VSC and TRAC off feature requests. It may exist on a later model, but those who purchased early will not have this feature made available to them.

What really needs to happen is someone needs to crack Toyota's encryption for their ECM code, disassemble TCCS, find a way to change the basic operation of the feature, encrypt the results and load them onto the ECM. If this were a Civic, we'd just ask Hondata to come up with a solution and flash it. End of complaint. Toyota have not allowed this (yet) and everyone given legitimate access to TCCS has been sworn to secrecy.
I wonder if a ESK would work ,as it did for the late model is300?the old is300 didn`t have near as much delay.I set my rev limit at 6k, if I don`t shift perfect I ping the rev limit every time.Its the only complaint i`ve had.
Old 01-25-07, 07:56 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

ECU programers, any input?
Old 01-25-07, 09:11 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

The IS is not a sports car. Or at least it's not as sporty as some people would like it to be. Don't think having paddles or "sport" mode means it'll shift when you want it to shift like a sports car. Just like sticking a wing on a Civic, doesn't make it a sports car either. There's nothing to fix. That's the way Lexus decided to design it.
Old 01-26-07, 05:20 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
OMG ... where can I find this TSB for the brake dust? I thought it was myth, I need to LRN2READ!

Or better yet.. anyone have a link to the TSB?
Here is a link to the original thread talking about the less dusty (but poorer performing) pads: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254801
Old 01-26-07, 06:22 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

we're also comparing a production car with a 6 speed to basically a concept car with an 8 speed trans out of the LS. i dont get all these posts comparing the LS-F *which no one truly knows anything more than rumors, a few vids online, and pics from an auto show* to other production cars.
Old 01-26-07, 08:07 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree about the people saying to not worry about the paddle shifters. That was one of the things I liked about the car. I was buying a 335i (which paddle shifters work flawless). I didn't test the paddle shifters enough when i was sold on the IS instead. At the price of our cars, the paddle shifters should totally function like smg. That auto transmission is freakign excellent, but like someone said, the plastic toy's known as paddle shifters on the IS need to be reworked.

And to me the IS is a sports car. stock running 0-60 in 4.9 seconds with many people on here getting 1/4 miles in the low 13's. That's a sports car. It handles like a sumbish and brakes like one too.
Old 01-26-07, 08:14 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by combfilter
I disagree about the people saying to not worry about the paddle shifters. That was one of the things I liked about the car. I was buying a 335i (which paddle shifters work flawless). I didn't test the paddle shifters enough when i was sold on the IS instead. At the price of our cars, the paddle shifters should totally function like smg. That auto transmission is freakign excellent, but like someone said, the plastic toy's known as paddle shifters on the IS need to be reworked.

And to me the IS is a sports car. stock running 0-60 in 4.9 seconds with many people on here getting 1/4 miles in the low 13's. That's a sports car. It handles like a sumbish and brakes like one too.
I agree! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Quick Reply: Shift delay in manual mode