IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

6 x 1.000 songs on DVD in Mark Levinson System!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 05:19 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
I bet if you go to their website, or choose to purchase the software when you open up the trial, they'd be glad to tell you!

Thanks for a very informative answer. People like you make this site great.
Old 11-18-07, 08:32 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-Rex06
When you turn on the ML's surround on a CD/MP3 disc, the closest you will possibly get to a surround sound is the "simulation". If you have a 5.1 DVD-Audio disc, the channels are mixed discretely meaning specific channels are meant to be sent to specific speakers using the decoder (either Dolby Digital or DTS) built in your head unit.

If you have a DVD-Audio disc of Blue Man Group, it comes with both DTS tracks and conventional tracks. You will definitely hear the difference between a true DTS/Dolby Digital surround and simulated surround ML put out on the conventional tracks.

Terrance
Thx for the info! Do most DVD-Audio discs have a setup where you can choose between the 5.1 and otherwise? I ask because my DVD-A is not that impressive and as I mentioned, it requires me to crank the audio for same volume results.
Old 11-18-07, 09:47 PM
dsclar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Will there be more separation in a 5.1 dvd-audio disc than any MP3 or CD?
In other words, should an MP3/CD, when played in our ML's "surround" version, have much/any separation?
Depends on your definition of separation. As far as left and right and center there can be plenty of separation.

OTOH, 5.1 can provide discreet rear channels. To get rear info from MP3 or CD (or any stereo source) you have to artificially create the rear channels. That said, some songs will result in more 'surround' content than others depending on how they happened to be recorded. But they will generally not have nearly the effect that a true 5.1 recording will have as far as pin point localization goes. With true 5.1, the production team determine exactly what will end up coming out what speakers. When you put a regular stereo program through a surround processor it's kind of hit and miss at best, if that makes any sense.

I've only had my car for one day so far, but I can say that I almost always prefer the surround in the off mode. I've listened to a lot of live recordings which I mixed and recorded, and they reproduce fairly well on this system. When I engage the surround mode they are all over the place. If I didn't record them and know how they were supposed to sound I may feel differently. Same with music in general. I know how most music I listen to was mixed so prefer to hear those mixes as close to right as possible.

Once again, there is no right or wrong way to listen to music. We all have different preferences, and some times the less you know the better. It all comes down to what sounds best for each specific listener.
Old 11-20-07, 12:18 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Thx for the info! Do most DVD-Audio discs have a setup where you can choose between the 5.1 and otherwise? I ask because my DVD-A is not that impressive and as I mentioned, it requires me to crank the audio for same volume results.
It depends on the disc. Some discs may come with 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks and DTS where you get the option to choose. So far, I haven't seen DVD-Audio discs that come with both kind of formats like the DVD movies do.

Terrance