IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

buying out-of-state..how to break in car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 08:13 PM
go blue 99
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying out-of-state..how to break in car?

I know there are guidelines for how fast/much you should drive the car when you first get it.
For those who bought out-of-state and drove home: did you drive much slower than you normally would? Is it really going to be bad for the car if you do?
Old 01-25-07, 08:37 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The break-in topic has been beat to death about 10 times over on this forum. Just do a quick search on the subject and you will find the info you're looking for. Or you can simply look in the owners manual, I believe it has proper break-in procedures listed there as well.
Old 01-25-07, 08:49 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by go blue 99
I know there are guidelines for how fast/much you should drive the car when you first get it.
For those who bought out-of-state and drove home: did you drive much slower than you normally would? Is it really going to be bad for the car if you do?
When picking up your car, drive it like you stole it. Go through the rev's without hitting the redline, 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. That should seal your rings, take it to dealer/body shop and get your oil changed.

You have now roughly broken in your engine the proper way.

Last edited by r1lee; 01-26-07 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-25-07, 09:11 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I say floor it out of the dealership and then vary the revs the entire drive home... Give it lots of different RPMs... But make sure to floor it a bunch...
Old 01-25-07, 10:31 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even though you are driving it home on a long distance trip, i would still try to follow whatever the manual says.
Old 01-26-07, 07:43 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't "floor it out of the dealership". I would take it easy, and just vary your revs as much as possible. When I bought my IS last spring, I took it on a short road trip of ~300 miles right away. I would shift from 6th to 5th every 10 minutes or so, and then back to 6th. Also made more stops than I normally would, just so I could exercize the car through all 6 gears.
Old 01-26-07, 07:49 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were in your situation, I would drive it around town (stop lights) for about 30 miles, let the car cool down while you eat dinner, then get on the highway. Once on the highway, don't use cruise control, and vary the speed / gears as suggested above. Changing the oil early is not needed.
Old 01-26-07, 08:27 AM
jezza
Driver

I bought mine in MA and drove it home to VA. 550 miles or so. I basically did some around town driving, maybe 100 miles worth, then drove it home on the highway.

As suggested, don't use cruise, and have fun with the paddle shifters to vary the rpms and speed. Your wife may get somewhat car sick as a result, but oh well... she wanted to go, right?
Old 01-26-07, 08:31 AM
cvex
Driver

Originally Posted by Technique
I say floor it out of the dealership and then vary the revs the entire drive home... Give it lots of different RPMs... But make sure to floor it a bunch...
lol , you all should know Technique by now. His name should be "FLOOR IT."
If next time someone ask how they should drive once they back out the garage, well you know the answer.

Dont take it personally Technique your answers are always ,unique.
Old 01-26-07, 08:37 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cvex
If next time someone ask how they should drive once they back out the garage, well you know the answer.

I almost LOL at this at work =P

Anyway I agree you shouldn't floor it, but instead, have varying revs on the way home. I didn't bring it past 4k rpm before 1k miles. That's just me though.
Old 01-26-07, 10:24 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cvex

ROFL

Thanks man I've actually never floored it out of the garage in reverse.... But there's always a first time for everything! hehe...
Old 01-26-07, 10:29 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

I tend to lean towards Technique's method. Opinions vary though. I wouldn't floor it out of the dealership -- but I would as soon as the engine was up to operating temperature.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 01-26-07, 10:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by homer4598
I tend to lean towards Technique's method. Opinions vary though. I wouldn't floor it out of the dealership -- but I would as soon as the engine was up to operating temperature.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Exact same here. My brakes were bedded and my engine was fully broken in at the end of the first hour of ownership.
Old 01-26-07, 10:57 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Let me just clarify something:

1) Yes, it's probably better to let the engine warm up before flooring it... That being said, I don't think it really makes a big difference unless the weather is very cold...

2) When I drove my car out the dealer's lot, the car had been idling for like 15-20 minutes at the dealership before I drove it off... (Which, btw, is the WORST thing to do to a cold engine) So anyway, the engine was warmed up already... I just turned off VDIM and hammered the gas to leave some rubber for them... I actually drove straight to the service department down the block to get my DRL's turned off... When I was in the service bay I heard two of the valets going "Man, what's that smell!?!?" (The smell they were referring to was probably that smell you get when you accelerate hard in a brand new car (less than 500 miles)... Maybe the cosmoline?) Anyway, I told them "That's the smell of a car being broken in properly"...

Old 01-27-07, 09:56 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Technique
Let me just clarify something:

1) Yes, it's probably better to let the engine warm up before flooring it... That being said, I don't think it really makes a big difference unless the weather is very cold...

2) When I drove my car out the dealer's lot, the car had been idling for like 15-20 minutes at the dealership before I drove it off... (Which, btw, is the WORST thing to do to a cold engine) So anyway, the engine was warmed up already... I just turned off VDIM and hammered the gas to leave some rubber for them... I actually drove straight to the service department down the block to get my DRL's turned off... When I was in the service bay I heard two of the valets going "Man, what's that smell!?!?" (The smell they were referring to was probably that smell you get when you accelerate hard in a brand new car (less than 500 miles)... Maybe the cosmoline?) Anyway, I told them "That's the smell of a car being broken in properly"...

Technique, so I take you didn't worry much about the "no sudden acceleration until 620miles" break-in suggestion in your manual?

Quick Reply: buying out-of-state..how to break in car?