25.00%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

to lower or not to lower your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 08:15 PM
ExKoukiS14
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mention upgrading shocks when lowering.
Springs can give great performance when done correctly. This means pairing with aftermaket dampeners. -IMO

A Coilover system is great too. I've owned 3 Coilover systems with my past cars.
Only issue is that people tend to "over lower" their car. This might be fine for people who want to look good, but you really loose on performance.
Old 01-26-07, 09:03 PM
motoguci
Driver

GO for the coilovers!!!
Old 01-27-07, 12:24 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

im leaning towards lowering my car cause i am doing it for "looks" not performance... what is the highest lowering springs out there? (i hope that made sense... i guess, which ones lower it just enough to be like "damnnn thats a clean ride" and not really have it slammed?) basically... im trying to get rid of the gap in the front wheel well. the back looks okay i just think the front needs to come down no more than 1 inch

oh and thanks for putting a POLL up for me! i totally forgot to do that
Old 01-27-07, 12:42 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

oh i have a good question i dont think anyone has quite answered yet... lets say i go with these "lowering springs" lets use Eibach ProKit as an example... they claim a 1.4" drop in the front and a 1" drop in the back for an even wheel well gap... im concerned with the tires butterflying... does any form of lowering on the is250/350 mean we need to worry about getting a camber kit or is it not that noticeable to be a concern?
Old 01-27-07, 01:01 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

okay im an idiot... it has been answered... most ppl have said it does not butterfly like on other cars and the wear is quite even... not perfect as stock but not dramatic. ive decided to go with the EIBACH PRO-KIT 1.4" front 1" rears. now if only we have a vendor that can beat the eBay going rate on these...
Old 01-27-07, 01:09 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by taylorjste
what are you guys paying for coilovers + install??
i paid 800+150 for install for tein ss coilovers...

it's always good to get a camber kit and for the most part they're cheap too... but i don't think you'll need it with the eibachs. i think you'll just need to take it to a shop and they'll be able to tweak the settings for you... besides you'll need to get an alignment anyway once you drop it.
Old 01-27-07, 01:30 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,424 Posts

It is not possible to adjust camber on the ISx50 (except the IS250 AWD in the front only) and anyone selling you a camber plate is ripping you off. It's not a strut suspension. Have the toe checked and adjusted after installing lowering springs and all will be fine. Toe is the only available adjustment on the ISx50 RWD.
Old 01-27-07, 02:00 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It is not possible to adjust camber on the ISx50 (except the IS250 AWD in the front only) and anyone selling you a camber plate is ripping you off. It's not a strut suspension. Have the toe checked and adjusted after installing lowering springs and all will be fine. Toe is the only available adjustment on the ISx50 RWD.
i am assuming this isnt like my old 2000 prelude where i can just get a spring compressor and do the install myself? i mean my prelude never had a toe or whatever that is... so i have no idea. sheesh our lexus's come with toes? i didnt even know it had feet. anyways... let me know if i can do it myself... ive never worked on lexus's before... just civics, accords, and preludes
Old 01-27-07, 02:32 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racinghart
sheesh our lexus's come with toes? i didnt even know it had feet.
lol.. that made my laugh.

anyway, a quick google search led me to this....
http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html
Old 01-27-07, 03:54 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont see why you "have" to get new rims when you lower your car. ill probably lower my car, even though im probably going to lease it.
Old 01-27-07, 03:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,424 Posts

The important thing about toe is when it's wrong, you'll burn through tires very quickly. Either the inside or outside edge of the tire will wear very rapidly and you'll be wondering WTF happened to my new tires. I had this problem with my Supra's rear tires when I knew it was set precisely on the specs Toyota gave. 6k miles and the rears were shot on the inside edges only. The rest of the tread was fine.

I would not lower a car without having it aligned. Ever. Camber, caster, and toe all change as the car is raised and lowered. You need to be sure it's "neutral" at normal ride height or you need to have a sizeable tire budget.
Old 01-27-07, 06:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

don't forget about AFS issues, alignment issues, etc.....
Old 01-27-07, 11:57 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jsquared
lol.. that made my laugh.

anyway, a quick google search led me to this....
http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html
hey thanks for that link ... i really want to know my "stuff" before i go in there and have a shop install the goods
Old 01-27-07, 04:00 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

man i say drop it i duno about lexus but i want to drop my car too and with my acura i had to get cambers. Like everyone else said it will bald your inside or outside really fast
Old 01-27-07, 06:40 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
man i say drop it i duno about lexus but i want to drop my car too and with my acura i had to get cambers. Like everyone else said it will bald your inside or outside really fast
I don't think it is an issue if you do a 4 wheel alignment. Make sure whoever does the alignment puts bricks/weight in the trunk to simulate load.

Quick Reply: to lower or not to lower your IS?