25.00%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

to lower or not to lower your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 04:25 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to lower or not to lower your IS?

i am torn between lowering or not. i know that if i go with certain springs it would barely be noticeable and i heard sometimes it doesnt sacrifice ride quality... or i could be wrong and i will sacrifice ride quality... i feel like if i get an exhaust, i would need to lower it and go with a body kit of some sort just to complete the deal... anyone here lower without getting aftermarket rims, kits, etc. and likes to keep it that way?
Old 01-26-07, 04:34 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you getting aftermarket wheels? If not, there is not reason to.
Old 01-26-07, 04:43 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
are you getting aftermarket wheels? If not, there is not reason to.
I second that.
Old 01-26-07, 04:47 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

yah i dont plan on it for a lonnnggg time. cause i know its a big purchase (thousands of dollars) versus lowering springs or small parts like intake etc. etc. so thats why i asked... im torn cause i can afford a bunch of small purchases but big ones have to wait till i save the extra coinage. so i see what you guys are saying... only lower when and if im ready to change rims too
Old 01-26-07, 05:03 PM
taylorjste
Pole Position

ive been thinking the same thing! i have the g spyders on my CW IS350... i don't plan on getting aftermarket rims, but i love the look and the stance that comes with a drop.. to me it's a huge aesthetic improvement. im also concerned about sacrificing ride quality, as i dont think i want to spend the money on coilovers.. what are your thought about how these type of mods affect resale value? i could see myself getting an intake.. and mayyybe the eibach pro kit.. anyone have pictures of a dropped IS on g spyders??? i could use some persuasion
Old 01-26-07, 05:07 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Folks tend not to post lowering horror stories.

Be careful and do thorough research.

i.e.

1. Tire rubbing issues
2. Car bottoms out over some speed bumps causing damage to the front air dam
3. Car bottoms out on steep driveways, etc.

I think cars can look nice with some lowering and sharp wheels. But you open yourself for rim damage, etc. Also, if you pick an aftermarket rim, keep in mind it may not be available in a year. So if you damage one rim, you get to buy 4 new ones of a different type.

Also, if you get very low profile tires, the car loses handling. Very little sidewall to push the car around corners.

In my experience, the factory (Lexus, BMW, MB, etc.) know what is best for a car and tend to provide it out of the gate. Changing wheels/suspension is simply that. A change. Not better, just different. Decide what you want to achieve.

Good luck.

Last edited by widlfiresd; 01-26-07 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-26-07, 05:11 PM
LexFather

POLL TIME!!

I say drop her. Every car should be lowered!
Old 01-26-07, 05:20 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Even if I decide to put 19s I wouldnt drop it . every car ive dropped I regret it and they were name brand parts and profesional install aswell. car manufacters go through hours and hours of research for ride quality and handling .
Old 01-26-07, 05:22 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
POLL TIME!!

I say drop her. Every car should be lowered!
Not every car, the stock ride height of the IS-F is perfect
Old 01-26-07, 05:24 PM
TR3XX
Pole Position

personally, i'd only lower if you're sporting aftermarket wheels. if done properly, your ride quality shouldn't suffer *too* much. as for resale value, just keep your stock parts and install them when you're ready to sell your ride.
Old 01-26-07, 05:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Only one question about lowering: do you want visual performance or mechanical performance?

If it's just to look good, go ahead. If it's for better grip and cornering, be aware you're changing a lot of compromises the factory made and you might not be happy with the results.

(And I want to find out exactly what Lexus did to lower the IS-F...if they dropped the spindles, I'll be waiting at the junkyard for the first IS-F total...)
Old 01-26-07, 06:13 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i hated springs when i had it... i had it on my SC.. never again will i buy springs... just bought tein ss coilovers for the IS... i love it... wouldn't have it any other way
Old 01-26-07, 06:14 PM
taylorjste
Pole Position

for me it's about aesthetics.. i'm satisfied with the ride and performance that came with lux package.. i wouldnt drop it for performance reasons.. at the same time, i dont want to sacrifice the ride quality and handling that came stock.. hmm.. im still torn... what are you guys paying for coilovers + install??
Old 01-26-07, 06:46 PM
bturnbaugh
Driver

Every car I have owned was lowered. Too many issues with lowered. Unless you are going beyond the ride height, i.e. rims etc. leave it stock height. I love the stock ride height and feel.
Old 01-26-07, 06:54 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by taylorjste
for me it's about aesthetics.. i'm satisfied with the ride and performance that came with lux package.. i wouldnt drop it for performance reasons.. at the same time, i dont want to sacrifice the ride quality and handling that came stock.. hmm.. im still torn... what are you guys paying for coilovers + install??
In general expect to pay approx. $300 for springs installed, and around $2000 for KW Variant 3 Coilvers.

My advice is to try springs. If you do not like them, eat the $300 and pay for coilovers. A lot of folks are happy with just springs. The coilovers have more dampening and are adjustable.

Quick Reply: to lower or not to lower your IS?