Taller IS owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 12:52 PM
DerScttsmn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taller IS owners?

Hello,

First I'd like to start by greeting everyone on this lovely forum. Lurked for sometime and saw all the rich resources here and decided to take the plunge.

I was looking at the IS to replace my current means of transportation. I was really excited at the possibility of having performance, style and luxury all in one well built, reliable package that I could enjoy for a long time. I went to a local dealer to check an IS, low and behold a loaded IS250 w/ X package and nav for $38k MSRP. The excitement quickly dissipated once I sat in the drivers seat. No, nothing was wrong with the high quality interior, I couldn't fit!!! I'm 6'5" and only had a little less than an inch to clear the roof, and this was with the seat all the way down and all the way back. The steering wheel also didn't come out as far and as high as I would have liked for a comfortable driving position. So I was quite disappointed, and I'm mot certainly not going to tamper with the engineering or safety of the car by getting some lousy seat adjustment kit. I assume to wait it out for the next several years until the current car is replaced. Would have been nice if I could jump in now. So are there any others that have encountered the same problem, or maybe have found a solution without having to fiddle with the cars stock configuration???

Last edited by DerScttsmn; 01-27-07 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-27-07, 01:35 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DerScttsmn
Hello,

First I'd like to start by greeting everyone on this lovely forum. Lurked for sometime and saw all the rich resources here and decided to take the plunge.

I was looking at the IS to replace my current means of transportation. I was really excited at the possibility of having performance, style and luxury all in one well built, reliable package that I could enjoy for a long time. I went to a local dealer to check an IS, low and behold a loaded IS250 w/ X package and nav for $38k MSRP. The excitement quickly dissipated once I sat in the drivers seat. No, nothing was wrong with the high quality interior, I couldn't fit!!! I'm 6'5" and only had a little less than an inch to clear the roof, and this was with the seat all the way down and all the way back. The steering wheel also didn't come out as far and as high as I would have liked for a comfortable driving position. So I was quite disappointed, and I'm mot certainly not going to tamper with the engineering or safety of the car by getting some lousy seat adjustment kit. I assume to wait it out for the next several years until the current car is replaced. Would have been nice if I could jump in now. So are there any others that have encountered the same problem, or maybe have found a solution without having to fiddle with the cars stock configuration???
I'm not surprised at your experience. I'm 6'-2" and have just enough headroom. If i was any taller I don't think the IS would have worked for me.
Old 01-27-07, 01:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,970 Likes on 2,403 Posts

See if you can find one without the moonroof. You'll gain about 2" of head clearance.

I'm not 6' 5", but I'm 6' 2" with a ~33" inseam, so I'm a bit long in the torso - I expect problems - and I've had no issues fitting at all. It did take some time to get the position right though.
Old 01-27-07, 01:41 PM
DerScttsmn
Driver School Candidate

LoL, I have a 38 inseam, pretty long in the legs. I don't know that I could do w/ out a s/r, a feature I've always enjoyed on my current car. Hard to imagine life w/ out one here in sunny SoCal.
Old 01-27-07, 01:42 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Why not try a GS? I'm 6' 7" and wide to boot and my '98 GS400 fits me fine.
Old 01-27-07, 01:45 PM
DerScttsmn
Driver School Candidate

GS is a little more than I'd like to spend right now. One of the execs. in the office I work in has a beautiful '06 GS430, he's about 6'2". He loves it.
Old 01-27-07, 02:57 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe you can drive with the moonroof open?...couldnt help myself ...Anyways, sorry to hear that the IS does not fit you well...good luck finding your car.
Old 01-27-07, 03:32 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ hhahaha i was cracking up about that. But what would he do when it rains... or he might close it and head comes off like the german ad with the cat ...that aside i think that the is head room is lacking a lot. Might try and wait for the is-f might have more headroom?
Old 01-27-07, 03:35 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

GS is a little more than I'd like to spend right now. One of the execs. in the office I work in has a beautiful '06 GS430, he's about 6'2". He loves it.
Why not get a SUV like the GX or LX? It has more headroom than Yao will ever need
Old 01-27-07, 03:40 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I'm 6'1 and my IS fits me like a glove.
Old 01-27-07, 05:32 PM
cvex
Driver

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
^^ hhahaha i was cracking up about that. But what would he do when it rains?
UMMm-brella Duuhh !!
Old 01-27-07, 06:00 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Does it have to be brand new? Why not consider a low mileage used GS, maybe even a certified one? I'd think for the 38k you were looking to spend on the IS you could get an all but new GS and let someone else absorb the depreciation, what little there is anyway. Heck there's an '04 GS430, black/tan, loaded with nav and ML, 18k miles for 35k on ebay right now from the same guys I bought my car from, spend the other 3k on some rims and tires and you'll be one happy camper!

Last edited by csq860; 01-27-07 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-27-07, 06:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Get one without a moonroof...

The IS without a moonroof adds an extra 2 inches of headroom.

You'll have to go with one that has the X-Package with no moonroof. That is the only IS that doesn't have one...
Old 01-27-07, 06:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have an IS but I sure did want one. I'm just 6-2 but I'm big, around 270 lbs. I tried, I really did. On 5 different visits to the dealership, I hit my head on the opening trying to get in. I would have to crane my neck uncomfortably to get in. I'm sure after 100 attepts the neck craning would be instinctive but I didn't want to chance it. I'm a coupe guy anyway and settled on the G35. They made the darn thing entirely too small. What is up with Lexus? First the SC430 now the IS??!! Do they think only little guys drive their cars??!!
I'm more disappointed because I hear the IS coupe is delayed until 08. I was hoping it would have more room and be available this summer. Now who knows when it's coming...if ever. Looks like I'll be sticking with Infiniti.
Old 01-27-07, 07:42 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by csq860
Why not try a GS? I'm 6' 7" and wide to boot and my '98 GS400 fits me fine.
Holy crap you're a big dude! hehe...

Quick Reply: Taller IS owners?