IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Did you purchase portable NAV?? which one??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 08:56 AM
sdpq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you purchase portable NAV?? which one??

My gf has a is250 w/o nav. I was thinkin about buying her a portable nav for v-day. There are a bunch out there, I want to stay below $750 for a good unit that does have blue-tooth. I dont want a basic looking one, something that has a "wow" factor. I've heard things about Garmin, Tom-Tom, Magellan, but wasn't sure which one to go with, what have you guys heard or have experience with??

thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-28-07, 09:19 AM
Sarorn
Driver

I bought one from TomTom last week, cost about $500, couldnt remember which model number though. I ended up returning it back to the store and never even left the store parking lot! I tried using the suction cup and it just wouldnt stay on the glass! It looked kinda ugly too! I also didnt find it to be too user friendly, had to press too many little things in so many different ways just to get a map to show.

I'm looking for a better solution, one that looks good and easy to use. Any suggestions out there?
Old 01-28-07, 09:23 AM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

The Garmin Nuvi's are suppose to be very good. Small and have all the features you want. I am actualy considering getting one myself.
Old 01-28-07, 10:09 AM
tennistodd
Driver

I have the Garmin nuvi 350 and consumer reports rates it #1. It is not the most expensive one either. I have VERY MUCH enjoyed mine! It plays mp3 files(through your aux. jack) and it stores pictures as well for slide shows. The navi is unbelievable! You will be VERY satisfied. I got mine for $515.00 tax and all on sale about 3 months ago so they might be a little cheaper now. Good Luck
Old 01-28-07, 11:00 AM
drewj12
Rookie

Originally Posted by sdpq
My gf has a is250 w/o nav. I was thinkin about buying her a portable nav for v-day. There are a bunch out there, I want to stay below $750 for a good unit that does have blue-tooth. I dont want a basic looking one, something that has a "wow" factor. I've heard things about Garmin, Tom-Tom, Magellan, but wasn't sure which one to go with, what have you guys heard or have experience with??

thanks in advance for the help.
a friend of mine bought a Tomtom nav system for her scion and she paid around $200 i think, and loves it to death, but i don't know about the bluetooth. I'd say your best bet is to do a little research online. keep in mind though shes a lot younger and is probably a lot happier just to have a nav system to get her places, but as for the wow factor, I wouldn't know

Last edited by drewj12; 01-28-07 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-28-07, 12:40 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly, i would get a cellphone that has GPS navigation capabilities. works just as good, lot cheaper. you can choose from many different carriers like.....um Sprint! LOL
Old 01-28-07, 03:22 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a Magellan Roadmate 2000 for $279 at best buy on black friday...pre-loaded with all maps...thin like the Garmin 350 for almost half the price. These things are great to use while out of town (I fly everywhere) in a rental car. Most companies charge $10 a day for them -- and thats IF they have them at all. Plus I use it in the other car at home. I don't think you'd get near the capabilites out of the phone GPS but I can't say for sure - never tried one.
Old 01-28-07, 04:51 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
I don't think you'd get near the capabilites out of the phone GPS but I can't say for sure - never tried one.
Functions the same way, same addresses, same satellites, same directions....the info might even be more up to date. Bottom line is it will get you to your destination....every time.

I have put away all of my standalone GPS toys, the only one I have left is a Garmin GPS watch for outdoor navigation while hiking, doesn't even have maps, just good old fashion waypoints and coordinates.

Apps on the cellphone are from various vendors including Garmin GPS and TeleNav GPS to name a few.
Old 01-28-07, 05:18 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Functions the same way, same addresses, same satellites, same directions....the info might even be more up to date. Bottom line is it will get you to your destination....every time.

I have put away all of my standalone GPS toys, the only one I have left is a Garmin GPS watch for outdoor navigation while hiking, doesn't even have maps, just good old fashion waypoints and coordinates.

Apps on the cellphone are from various vendors including Garmin GPS and TeleNav GPS to name a few.
Ken, this is interesting.

does it give you time to destination, average speeds, etc?
I'm assuming youuse Sprint right? is there additional fees for this service or built into the standard voice or data plans?
Old 01-28-07, 06:20 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

i rarely use it (nav in my lexus) let me take it out for a spin tonight and let you know, there is an additional monthly fee to use it at sprint.
Old 01-28-07, 08:42 PM
Optimus
Driver School Candidate

Get the Pioneer AVIC-S1, it craps all over the other portables and is significantly better than the Lexus Navigation system. The only thing good about having the Navigation stock is all the cool GUI tools like the calendar and stuff, it is a waste for navigation.