IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Traction Control sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 07:58 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of tires do you have and what was the temp outside.

It really sounds like you have summer tires on your car. Especially if you lost traction when it was dry. When the temp outside is 35 degrees, remember that the road is probably at like 25. In the winter summer tires turn hard like hocky pucks, especially after sitting out in the cold overnight. Thus you'd have no traction. Please go out and check what brand tire you have on your car and then post back here before blaming the traction control.
Old 01-29-07, 08:38 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't really driven the car THAT hard yet, but I guess I'm not used to the traction control now =P

My Subaru has 4WD, and no traction control, but I've driven in snow and ice, and the obviously the behavior between the two is huge. But Also driven the IS200 and E320 where the rear would slip, and see how the traction control reacts.

The other day, I tried giving the 350 some gas when turning a wide open roundabout, it almost freaked me out. When the power suddenly cut, it felt like the car was going to fly out instead of staying in line, but It didn't. For the IS200, the power would cut, but felt more controlled. Maybe it's the obvious power difference, but I guess I'll just have to find somewhere where I can try it out more... just to be sure =P

I don't know what point I'm getting at. Maybe to me it just feels the traction and skid control is more violent now...
Old 01-29-07, 08:43 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Sounds like we're missing a piece of the puzzle here... Something just doesn't add up in your story. Dry conditions, driving "very slow" and losing control don't go together well.
Old 01-29-07, 10:17 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

What size wheels do you have? And which tires do you have? Temperature can affect tire grip. Also, if your wheel sizes are not original or you have suspension modifications, they could possibly affect the traction/stability control system. Saw it in this article...
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...01270352/1148/
Old 01-30-07, 03:44 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by t0e
Ok here is the situation:

Im pulling out of a parking lot -- I proceed to turn Left, I gun the gas, and BOOM major Slippage, so much that my car started to turn towards the CURB just like you.

What was my first re-action? Let off the GASS pedal, the car STOPED so dam fast, i dam near fractured my elbo. Luckly, I did'nt hit the curb, BUT came dam near close. Also, lucky no cars were behind me.

Reason:

It was wet/rainy, not a good combination for gunning it on a turn
Just like traction control can't counter the laws of physics, it can only do so much for bad drivers.