IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

They say it can't be done. Ha! Locked out while the car is running

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 01:12 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more thing to add:

When I started the car at like 6:30am the headlights came on as they were set to auto. While waiting for the tow trucks it got light outside. The lights never shut off automatically. Once we got in the car and restarted the headlights did not turn on.
Old 01-29-07, 01:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

yes, that is strange indeed.
Old 01-29-07, 01:17 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if the metal key would have worked in this case....

I use that thing for the glovebox all the time, so perhaps that might have been the answer...

Interesting though that you had the FOB on you...
Old 01-29-07, 02:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

That's actually a good point. The door lock with the metal key is an electrical switch, not a mechanical device. It may not have worked either, even if you had been able to remove the cover.

It would seem the door lock ECU thought the car was in the same condition as if you had unlocked the doors but not opened them. You get 30 seconds to open a door after an unlock before it automatically relocks the doors.

Did you hear the doors lock when you got out?

It's really baffling how the doors got locked in the first place.
Old 01-29-07, 02:53 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

its a ghost man lol glad you got it fix tho
Old 01-29-07, 03:24 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's actually a good point. The door lock with the metal key is an electrical switch, not a mechanical device. It may not have worked either, even if you had been able to remove the cover.

It would seem the door lock ECU thought the car was in the same condition as if you had unlocked the doors but not opened them. You get 30 seconds to open a door after an unlock before it automatically relocks the doors.

Did you hear the doors lock when you got out?

It's really baffling how the doors got locked in the first place.
I never heard the doors lock when I got out. The whole thing is baffling.

Here's something else I discovered. Might be related and might not. Prior to the incident I had configured the doors to not lock when put into gear, not unlock when put in park, and to lock once the car gets up to 12mph. This has now reverted back to the way it was upon delivery. Lock in gear, unlock in park. I tried to put the setting back the way I like but was unable. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 01-29-07, 03:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

That's one of the first troubleshooting steps in the manual. Restore the settings to default. Strange you can't change them back though.
Old 01-29-07, 10:33 PM
Ericm
Driver School Candidate

Wow that's crazy!

I have had a couple of issues with the smart key before but nothing like this... Mine just chimes at me after I power off the car, like I forgot to shut if off accessory mode (but the radio isn't on). It does this periodically, so I think it would be impossible to reproduce at the dealer.

I want to know how the doors locked on their own. Hopefully technical will find out something for you.
Old 01-29-07, 11:04 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ericm
I have had a couple of issues with the smart key before but nothing like this... Mine just chimes at me after I power off the car, like I forgot to shut if off accessory mode (but the radio isn't on). It does this periodically, so I think it would be impossible to reproduce at the dealer.
I'll bet you periodically open the door before turning the engine off, and this happens to coincide with the beeping incidents. Its a bug Lexus is aware of and hasn't found a fix for yet.
Old 01-31-07, 07:54 AM
chuckler
Driver

thats freaky...keep us posted
Old 01-31-07, 01:26 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Irishman06
I'll bet you periodically open the door before turning the engine off, and this happens to coincide with the beeping incidents. Its a bug Lexus is aware of and hasn't found a fix for yet.
Yes, this happens to me quite frequently, too. Glad to hear that they know about it though. Do you work at a dealership?
Old 01-31-07, 03:20 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Haven't heard from the dealer or technincal, not that I think I will. They will probably just chalk it up to one of those things and not look into it unless it happens again.

The crazy thing is now, for the life of me, I can't get the door lock settings to change to the way I want them. I've tried for the past two days and things aren't happenning. Like pushing the start button twice to put the ign-on and then holding the unlock for like five seconds, which should make the door lock/unlock, etc. I'll keep on trying and worst case I'll have the dealer do it in the spring when I take my car in for it's first oil change, unless I need to take it in before then for something else.
Old 01-31-07, 04:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

So you are using the procedure on page 21 of the Owner's Manual, and it doesn't work? When you look in the book, notice on page 19 it says you can't lock the fob in the car or lock the doors with the engine running, but that it is possible the key may not be detected (which sounds exactly like what you described) and if it is not detected, you could lock the fob in the car.

So it sounds like Lexus found an issue while testing but haven't been able to devise a 100% fix.

If your system won't personalise, I'd take it to the dealer now and show them it doesn't work. It's in the owner's manual too, so they can't say anything foolish like "they all do that" or something equally ignorant.
Old 01-31-07, 04:46 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Whoa..you've basically experienced one of my worst fears. That is the same basic routine i go through in the morning before work. I hope they find out what the issue was.
Old 01-31-07, 06:07 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by totalstu
...pushing the start button twice to put the ign-on and then holding the unlock for like five seconds, ...
"like 5 seconds" is not good enough. It must be EXACTLY 5 seconds. Been there, done that.

Quick Reply: They say it can't be done. Ha! Locked out while the car is running