IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Very low MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 10:48 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KMRIS350
what ever dude! Ill take a picture next time...I drive 88-100 miles every Wed and Friday this is from Chandler to Tucson Arizona to race and I get 29-30 when I drive 70-75 cruz...FACT!

Shoot....I can drive it as hard as I want all day long around town racing Hondas and still get 24mpg...
I believe you on the first paragraph... no way on the second, unless your mods really did something to get you 10 extra MPG in the city than you should be getting with racing.

Then again, it doesn't take much gas to beat the Hondas. :P
Old 01-29-07, 10:52 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just double checked my records…I kept every gas receipt after fill up and I right the current mileage and ave tank on the back of the receipt then reset the computer and I have NEVER gotten under 22mpg.

My average is 27ish mpg if my math is correct..
Old 01-29-07, 10:56 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I believe you on the first paragraph... no way on the second, unless your mods really did something to get you 10 extra MPG in the city than you should be getting with racing.

Then again, it doesn't take much gas to beat the Hondas. :P
Agreed, I'm not doubting he gets good gas mileage, but he's not going to get that mileage while racing cars and driving hard "all the time".

Sorry, but cruising at 75mph is not driving your car "hard" that's pretty normal.
Old 01-29-07, 11:11 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

Man you cant win on this forum…....your right I’m wrong... I drive mellow and I get bad gas mileage too… When will I learn to keep my mouth shut.
Old 01-29-07, 11:12 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

I just double checked my records…I kept every gas receipt after fill up and I right the current mileage and ave tank on the back of the receipt then reset the computer and I have NEVER gotten under 22mpg.

My average is 27ish mpg if my math is correct..
The computer for the MPG is somewhat off. I think a better way to do it is to compare the odometer mileage on successive receipts and divide that mileage by the latter fillup.

For me, this last fillup, computer said the tank was 23.5. My miles / gallons was 24.1

Is keeping the gas receipts really a value-adding thing for your resale? I'm thinking of keeping all mine too, but then I don't think I'll be using the dealer for all my oil and services, so I'm thinking the whole meticulous care argument could be for naught.
Old 01-29-07, 11:14 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Man you cant win on this forum…....your right I’m wrong... I drive mellow and I get bad gas mileage too… When will I learn to keep my mouth shut.
don't sweat it man. I'm actually trying to learn your secret. Maybe the gas in AZ is extra efficient...
Old 01-29-07, 11:19 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

No need to keep your mouth shut. I'm not trying to argue with you, but no gasoline powered engine is going to be efficient enough to give you 30mpg while racing. If that's what your display is telling you, it's wrong. Either that, or you're not really driving as hard as you think you are.
Old 01-29-07, 11:24 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirkfc
don't sweat it man. I'm actually trying to learn your secret. Maybe the gas in AZ is extra efficient...
The secret is in his unlisted mods: magnets on the fuel line, electric supercharger, intake vortex, and the super carburetor that gets 60% better fuel economy.

Also, you guys know that the Tank AVG screen resets automatically when you fill up? The overall average never resets.
Old 01-29-07, 11:28 PM
Ericm
Driver School Candidate

what ever dude! Ill take a picture next time...I drive 88-100 miles every Wed and Friday this is from Chandler to Tucson Arizona to race and I get 29-30 when I drive 70-75 cruz...FACT!

Shoot....I can drive it as hard as I want all day long around town racing Hondas and still get 24mpg...
I think if I set the cruise at 70-75 I would probably get closer to 33 or so. But I can't drive this car that slow. Last time I drove to Vegas @ about 90 (+ at times ) I got 28.9 on the trip.

are you guys resetting the computer after filling up the tank?
The photo I posted was of the tank AVG. Overall MPG on the car (8700 miles) is 25.7 MPG.
Old 01-29-07, 11:35 PM
talalhz
Driver

Exclamation

are you guys resetting the computer after filling up the tank?
The info screen: Look under Tank Average.

I do 25.5 mpg on the highway (San Diego to Los Angeles) and 19.0mpg in the city (spririted driving).
Old 01-30-07, 12:09 AM
KMRIS350
Driver

I’m no expert in gasoline but I have read that there is a winter blend and a summer blend. Winter gas evaporates quicker then summer for those cold starts. I’m sure there are many other reasons that they change the gas for the season but like I said I’m not an expert. But the point is that it’s different.

If we run summer blends all year round in Arizona because of the warmer climate. I think its possible that we could get different results when testing mpg.
Old 01-30-07, 12:11 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Irishman06
Also, you guys know that the Tank AVG screen resets automatically when you fill up? The overall average never resets.
Are you talking about my comment regarding the computer avg being off from the odometer/gallons avg? Yeah, I was comparing the tank average of 23.5 to 24.1 miles / gallons.

But that's ok. the computer's just a weighted average of speed and rpm and some other factors. probably doesn't take into account a lot of other real life situations. wouldn't expect it to be the same. within 1 mpg is good enough.
Old 01-30-07, 12:40 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

If we run summer blends all year round in Arizona because of the warmer climate. I think its possible that we could get different results when testing mpg.
yeah, you have a point there. Back to the original poster's question though... I think you getting 22-24 in the city driving hard is much stranger than his 15 overall MPG on normal driving.

Probably for many of the reasons this thread has discussed....
Old 01-30-07, 02:18 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

IS350 stock

City: 18.3 mpg
Old 01-30-07, 02:24 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishman06
...The overall average never resets.
Unless you manually reset it by holding the disp button down while displaying the overall average.

Quick Reply: Very low MPG