IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

suggestion on tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 08:46 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default suggestion on tires

So I hit a pothole pretty hard and now I have a bulge on the side on my tire so I guess I need new tires. Was wondering whether or not its fine if I get two different tires for the front and keep the stock back tires. Bad idea? Would it be ok? Kinda low on cash and would want to ride out the back tires until I really needed changing them. Also any suggestions on which tires to get? Thanks.
Old 01-30-07, 09:23 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be fine just swapping out the fronts as long as you go with the same type of tire. If you have the stock max performance summer tires in the rear, then go with the same tire for the fronts or a different manufacturer's max perf summer tires.
Old 01-30-07, 10:19 PM
neova
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kloh7
So I hit a pothole pretty hard and now I have a bulge on the side on my tire so I guess I need new tires. Was wondering whether or not its fine if I get two different tires for the front and keep the stock back tires. Bad idea? Would it be ok? Kinda low on cash and would want to ride out the back tires until I really needed changing them. Also any suggestions on which tires to get? Thanks.
No. All 4 tires should have the same traction meaing same tread pattern. The only time i've seen front/rear having diferent pattern was the Pirelli Pzero system where it has directional fronts and asymetrical rears.

Anyways, the cost of two front tires would be around the same for one OEM one isn't it?
Old 01-31-07, 05:40 AM
kloh7
Pole Position

Yeah, its about the same price but I figured if I changed just one then that might offset the wear on the tires. Also these stock tires wear down quick so I figure this is a good chance to change them. I was thinking about getting BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 or maybe some all seasons like Continental ContiExtremeContact. Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-07, 06:14 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

I would NEVER get any different tires amongst all 4. I would get all 4 of the same tires and get the tire warranty. Yeah it might be an extra $120 or so, but in this scenario, you go back to the shop, get rid of the old one, get a new one and be on your way. I had a similar problem when I had 19's. Establish a good relationship with the tire place too, it helps when modding or when in this situation...
Old 01-31-07, 07:07 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Obviously, replacing all 4 at the same time would be best, but if money is an issue, then I suggest getting a pair of Dunlop Direzza's for the front if your rears are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. Then when you need new rears, you can get Direzza's in a 255/35-18 instead of 255/40-18 (better gearing and appearance).
Old 01-31-07, 07:13 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im taking a guess you dont have the tire warranty? Well if you do it should cover that....I got it and was even told that if I changed out the rims those tires would be covered too....
Old 01-31-07, 10:18 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Hey...

I had this happen to myself, except I hit one at 70mph .. the tire didn't blow and I didn't have any bumps.. my ride suffered after that.

Come to find out my rim was bent just a bit. I don't mean to scare, but when you get those new tires make sure they inspect your rim. My dealership replaced mine under warranty.. soooo I got super lucky.
Old 01-31-07, 01:31 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

Wonder if I can get the warranty now and have them cover this? How much is it anyways? Thanks again for the replies.
Old 01-31-07, 01:47 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't use different types of tires.. Did you happen to purchae tire/wheel insurance when you purchased your car? Did you check w/ the dealer to see if they'll replace the tire?