IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Will you/have you serviced your 2IS at the dealership? (Oil change or full service)
Yes, for all my maintenance needs!
58.11%
Sometimes, for major services (30k, 60k, etc.)
15.54%
Only for services, no oil changes (please elaborate).
8.78%
Only for oil changes, no services.
4.73%
Never! I do all my own oil changes and servicing.
12.84%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Servicing your 2IS at the dealer. Yes, No, Maybe so

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 11:35 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servicing your 2IS at the dealer. Yes, No, Maybe so

So I'm just wondering about how many people serivice their 2IS at the dealer, or none at all. I'm kinda thinking I might be the only... uh, idiot that has the tires for life/road hazard warranty (which I already used), so I have to align and service at the dealer. In the long run, I might break even, but have a lot of convinience because of the miles I put on the car atm. 3.5 months, 8000 miles =/

Last edited by gyung; 01-30-07 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-31-07, 07:14 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the warranty too, but now Im afraid of putting on my S-tech's due to voiding the warranty... Until I see if the oil is easy to change than I'll let them do it.
Old 01-31-07, 07:22 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

You left off the choice that applies to me:

___ Only for complimentary services and those covered by the factory warranty
Old 01-31-07, 08:02 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Hehe sorry. I don't know how to edit the poll... But I had thought about warranties, but I was more specifically curious about Oil changes and actual services, for example, 10k. =)
Old 01-31-07, 09:38 AM
Wai
Pole Position

We have free oil changes that came with the extended warranty that we bought. As for regular maintenance, I would pick and choose.
Old 01-31-07, 09:55 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Ditto with Wai
Old 01-31-07, 10:13 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Sometimes for the major maint.

Thats what I picked. My Toyota dealership can do everything that my Lexus dealership can do for up to 1/2 the coast. So, really I'll just be comparing prices, I trust my local dealership.. they have yet to break any of my vehicles. Heh.
Old 01-31-07, 10:53 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wai
We have free oil changes that came with the extended warranty that we bought. As for regular maintenance, I would pick and choose.
you get free oil changes? all the time? which extended warranty did you buy? i got the 6yr 100,000k with no deductible... i didn't read closely i guess to see what i got... is that what you have?
Old 01-31-07, 11:00 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
You left off the choice that applies to me:

___ Only for complimentary services and those covered by the factory warranty

+1

I'll do the oil chgs myself after the comp 5000 mile service
Old 01-31-07, 01:47 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i just take it into the dealership. that way, if they mess up my car, they're responsible!
Old 01-31-07, 03:48 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna
i just take it into the dealership. that way, if they mess up my car, they're responsible!
I may end up doing this too.
Old 01-31-07, 04:06 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't even let the dealer do my 1st free oil change. IMHO, dealers do the worst work. Not only have I been screwed in obvious ways by them, my ex-wife worked for a dealer, and the stories she told me were horrible. The techs told her that they rarely put new oil filters on when they changed oil. They would just use old filters that were cleaned off from previous vehicles. My own personal experience was when I screwed up my timing by playing around with my distributor. I took my car in for a valve adjustment and timing adjustment ($90), and they didn't even touch it. That was when I spent my 1st $500 on tools to do all my own work. I have no idea how much I've spent on tools since (13+ years), but I've done everything I could possibly do myself since (clutch replacements, valve adjustments, bearing replacements, final drive swaps, etc.). The only thing I've allowed a dealer to do for me since is to replace a transmission under warranty.
Old 01-31-07, 04:20 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wai
I wouldn't call them free. You pre-paid.
Old 01-31-07, 04:29 PM
taminatorv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gernby
I didn't even let the dealer do my 1st free oil change. IMHO, dealers do the worst work. Not only have I been screwed in obvious ways by them, my ex-wife worked for a dealer, and the stories she told me were horrible. The techs told her that they rarely put new oil filters on when they changed oil. They would just use old filters that were cleaned off from previous vehicles. My own personal experience was when I screwed up my timing by playing around with my distributor. I took my car in for a valve adjustment and timing adjustment ($90), and they didn't even touch it. That was when I spent my 1st $500 on tools to do all my own work. I have no idea how much I've spent on tools since (13+ years), but I've done everything I could possibly do myself since (clutch replacements, valve adjustments, bearing replacements, final drive swaps, etc.). The only thing I've allowed a dealer to do for me since is to replace a transmission under warranty.
I'm with you. I probably won't take my car to them for the complimentary first service. Along with the horrible service stories, cars nowadays have relatively little maintenance so there's more incentive to do it yourself. There's really only fluid and filter changes most of the time. I worked on cars when we had to sand down points, clean and adjust the carburetor, adjust valves, and set timing on a regular basis in addition to the usual fluid and filter changes.
Old 01-31-07, 04:42 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taminatorv
I'm with you. I probably won't take my car to them for the complimentary first service. Along with the horrible service stories, cars nowadays have relatively little maintenance so there's more incentive to do it yourself. There's really only fluid and filter changes most of the time. I worked on cars when we had to sand down points, clean and adjust the carburetor, adjust valves, and set timing on a regular basis in addition to the usual fluid and filter changes.
I still have to do many of those things with my ski boat.

BTW, I forgot to mention the common practice of leaving out the "difficult" bolts when doing repairs. My previous car (Honda S2000) had a single bolt that had to be dealt with when removing the transmission that took HOURS to get off and on. It's like Honda started with the bolt, and designed the car around it. There were MANY people that reported this bolt missing after getting a new clutch. That was just another justification for me spending 2 days replacing my clutch myself. That bolt was a biatch, but the proper combination of a 3' long extension and a swivel socket with duct tape finally got it done.

Quick Reply: Servicing your 2IS at the dealer. Yes, No, Maybe so