IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just got my IS350... but there is a problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 08:14 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I am suprised about the ML system not really being advertised. Usually you would expect to have the ML logo on the tweeter covers or on the speakers or etc..

You always see BOSE or HARMON KARDON stamped all over a car.

About the disclaimer, I didn't state that saying the dealer would be off the hook for it. But usually that is the first thing they could come back with. I've been on COUNTLESS test drives with BMW M3's when I was looking at the time with false ads. Many touting Harmon Kardon upgraded audio, xenon lights, 19s, and upgraded leather. Only to find the stock system, with halogens, on 18's with normal leather/leatherette. Maybe not all at one time, but more often than you'd expect. In the end it is up to the buyer to be diligent and find out. I mean when was the last time you took a salesperson's word on something? Most of the time they don't know jack.
Old 02-01-07, 08:34 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cip
Absolutely you should contact corporate. That's one of the distinguishing things about Lexus. It's worth a few minutes of your time and it works. example:

I bought a 10 year old SC400 from Chicago McGrath dealer (no warranty purchased, though they offered to sell me one during transaction)... within 1 month the passenger brake caliper began to stick. By the time I noticed what was happening the caliper was getting hot. I went to my local brake guy who said the caliper was toast & so was the pad, rotor. I tried to contact the salesperson, but she did not return my call. Then I got the service manager.. he said to bring it in, but I was 40 + miles away.. anyway I didn't trust driving the car that far when within 5 miles the caliper was HOT!!! After paying the local guy $600 to replace the front brakes (2 new calipers, rotors, lifetime pads) I called the dealer and they were willing to send me $200 for my trouble. That was not satisfying to me so I called 1800-25LEXUS.... they apologized for the inconvenience & sent me another $100 credit voucher valid at any dealer.... and that was for a $12,000, 10-year old, 91,000 mile car...... you should definitely call them about your experience.
Glad it worked out for you. But I'm curious why you thought Lexus corporate should give you more money for a maintenance item on a 10 year old car? You refused the warranty at time of purchase, and you finagled $200 from the dealer for your trouble, yet you still weren't satisfied. Why is that? You certainly can't blame Lexus for the problem. Just a curious situation.
Old 02-01-07, 08:52 AM
cip
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Glad it worked out for you. But I'm curious why you thought Lexus corporate should give you more money for a maintenance item on a 10 year old car? You refused the warranty at time of purchase, and you finagled $200 from the dealer for your trouble, yet you still weren't satisfied. Why is that? You certainly can't blame Lexus for the problem. Just a curious situation.
Sorry forgot to mention how my example fits this situation. Part of the reason I spent the extra $$ on buying from the dealer was that they replaced the front & rear pads, wiper blades, trans fuild, oil change, etc. to prep the car for sale. SO when the brakes went out within 1 month and less than 1,000 miles of driving I felt they were responsible...
Old 02-01-07, 09:08 AM
talbin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the information! Here is my plan of attack.

1. Call corporate and let them know about hte situation and ask them some advise before I go to the dealer.

2. Raise hell at the dealer until I get my ML system or get a system installed and have them foot the bill.

3. If they refuse to do anything for me I guess I continually write corporate and the dealer letters until I get what I want.

I will keep you all posted on what happens.
Old 02-01-07, 09:12 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cip
Sorry forgot to mention how my example fits this situation. Part of the reason I spent the extra $$ on buying from the dealer was that they replaced the front & rear pads, wiper blades, trans fuild, oil change, etc. to prep the car for sale. SO when the brakes went out within 1 month and less than 1,000 miles of driving I felt they were responsible...
Fair enough....in that case I can see why Lexus could hold some responsibility.
Old 02-01-07, 09:13 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by talbin
Thanks for all of the information! Here is my plan of attack.

1. Call corporate and let them know about hte situation and ask them some advise before I go to the dealer.

2. Raise hell at the dealer until I get my ML system or get a system installed and have them foot the bill.

3. If they refuse to do anything for me I guess I continually write corporate and the dealer letters until I get what I want.

I will keep you all posted on what happens.
Sounds reasonable ..... make sure you document everything.
Old 02-01-07, 09:27 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

Was there a 'stock number' printed in the ad? Is that stock number the same as the one on your bill-of-sale? If the answer is no, then I think you don't have a case. If yes, then you could win in small-claims court, probably.
Old 02-01-07, 09:29 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

good luck...hopefully it will turn out good for you
Old 02-01-07, 10:44 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense intended.... but if it really took you a month to figure out that you DIDN'T have ML installed, then does it really make a difference? I mean, if you just slapped a sticker on there you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Obviously the sound quaility was good enough before you found this out. The dealer is highly unlikely to install another ML or equivalent aftermarket system. I think you could fairly expect some accessories and probably a substantial credit toward services but not a ML system.

I'm not saying you weren't wronged; you were. Just be reasonable in what to expect. Because, unless that ad in the paper had a specific stock # or VIN # specified, that AD could refer to any of a number of units on their lot. The deal you made was for the car you PURCHASED, not the car in the AD (if that makes sense). Again, not trying to add fuel to the fire, just trying to make a reasonable point.
Old 02-01-07, 12:56 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

that sux . . . but i cant believe you didnt notice this before-hand
Old 02-01-07, 01:10 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I found an 06 IS350 used with about 17,000 miles on it. I basically bought the car because the ad said it had a Mark Levinson audio system which it apparently does not. I bought this car from a elite lexus dealer. Here are my questions:

1. Reading the book, it says there will be a ML logo on the front dash which i do not see anywhere. Does anyone have a picture of their dash with this logo?

2. What do you think my course of action should be? Should I call lexus corporate, ask them to install the ML system, or demand some type of money returned? I have had the car for about a month now and just noticed it as I haven't had much time to play with all the features. Thanks in advance!!

***EDIT AGAIN***

I have verified that I DO NOT have the ML system and I DEFINATELY wanted it.

*EDIT*
I should also mention I traded in a car and since it has been a month I'm sure it is probably gone.
I understand your concern. I would not have purchased the 350 if it didn't have the ML system. Good luck... the advice given in previous posts is good.
Old 02-01-07, 02:52 PM
talbin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
No offense intended.... but if it really took you a month to figure out that you DIDN'T have ML installed, then does it really make a difference? I mean, if you just slapped a sticker on there you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Obviously the sound quaility was good enough before you found this out. The dealer is highly unlikely to install another ML or equivalent aftermarket system. I think you could fairly expect some accessories and probably a substantial credit toward services but not a ML system.

I'm not saying you weren't wronged; you were. Just be reasonable in what to expect. Because, unless that ad in the paper had a specific stock # or VIN # specified, that AD could refer to any of a number of units on their lot. The deal you made was for the car you PURCHASED, not the car in the AD (if that makes sense). Again, not trying to add fuel to the fire, just trying to make a reasonable point.
Ok, so I will give a little more information since everything has been set in motion. I was a little paranoid because I didn't want the dealership to see because I thought one of them may read this forum and know it was me that bougth the car so I changed the details a little bit.

So the listing was on Autotrader.com and it was for the VIN described. I have had the car less then a week. I logged my concerns with lexus corporate and of course right when I call the dealer the guys voice changes really fast and he starts to sound uncomfortable when I tell him the situation. He tells me that he will get back to me. Of course he hasn't and I noticed the car is off autotrader now HAHA. Sounds like I am going to have to play hardball. All I can say is that its good I have lots of printouts from autotrader. BTW, here is the description of the car from autotrader.com

Seller's Comments
SAVE $$$ FROMA NEW IS 350!! OUR '06 IS 350 HAS NAVIGATION, MARK LEVINSON AUDIO, A/C & HEATED FRONT SEATS, LEXUS CERTIFIED, AND IS CHARCOAL ON BLACK!! These new IS sedans are as revolutionary as the first generation and are available now in a IS 250 and IS 350 forms. The engine size is what makes these two models different, the 250's having the 2.5L and the 350's having the 3.5L engine. The IS 350 sedan has a strong rating of 306 horsepower from its 3.5L DOHC 24 valve V6 that has both port and direct fuel injection which makes both of these motors for their size extremely efficient. The styling is great on these as to be expected both inside and out. Our '06 IS 350 has a NAVIGATION system and a MARK LEVINSON audio which makes concert like sound. The IS 350's are built a lot less than the 250 model, so hurry to get this one which also has some options!!
Old 02-01-07, 04:38 PM
rhsmd
Driver

realy the only things the dealer can do is refund the difference or get you a different vehicle.
can't swap in a ML. it's more than just the amp.
different speakers, and there are 14 rather than 13 on the non ML.
hope it works out. enjoy the rest of the car
Old 02-01-07, 04:51 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus usually has the ML system as part of a package. I am sure you are missing a lot of other features too.
Old 02-01-07, 06:25 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so I will give a little more information since everything has been set in motion. I was a little paranoid because I didn't want the dealership to see because I thought one of them may read this forum and know it was me that bougth the car so I changed the details a little bit.

So the listing was on Autotrader.com and it was for the VIN described.
If the ad listed a stock # or VIN # then yeah I'd say you have a bonified gripe with the dealer. Again, as a previous poster mentioned, it's not as easy as swapping out a head unit. All sorts of things are different between stock and ML systems. Heck, the wiring may even be a heavier guage.... who knows. Sorry to hear this happened to you. I think you SHOULD pursue it but I think your time would be better spent asking for accessories (maybe a free set of tires when needed) and extended warranty, some oil changes, spoiler, etc. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Just got my IS350... but there is a problem