IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just got my IS350... but there is a problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 07:42 PM
talbin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my IS350... but there is a problem

So I found an 06 IS350 used with about 17,000 miles on it. I basically bought the car because the ad said it had a Mark Levinson audio system which it apparently does not. I bought this car from a elite lexus dealer. Here are my questions:

1. Reading the book, it says there will be a ML logo on the front dash which i do not see anywhere. Does anyone have a picture of their dash with this logo?

2. What do you think my course of action should be? Should I call lexus corporate, ask them to install the ML system, or demand some type of money returned? I have had the car for about a month now and just noticed it as I haven't had much time to play with all the features. Thanks in advance!!

***EDIT AGAIN***

I have verified that I DO NOT have the ML system and I DEFINATELY wanted it.

*EDIT*
I should also mention I traded in a car and since it has been a month I'm sure it is probably gone.

Last edited by talbin; 01-31-07 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Adding extra information
Old 01-31-07, 07:51 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by talbin
So I found an 06 IS350 used with about 17,000 miles on it. I basically bought the car because the ad said it had a Mark Levinson audio system which it apparently does not. I bought this car from a elite lexus dealer. Here are my questions:

1. Reading the book, it says there will be a ML logo on the front dash which i do not see anywhere. Does anyone have a picture of their dash with this logo?

2. What do you think my course of action should be? Should I call lexus corporate, ask them to install the ML system, or demand some type of money returned? I have had the car for about a month now and just noticed it as I haven't had much time to play with all the features. Thanks in advance!!
Installing a ML system after the fact is not really an option as the whole system is different; head unit, speakers, amp.

There should be a Mark Levinson Logo in the lower right hand corner of the unit. It is clearly marked. You can also tell if it is ML if you open the trunk and lift up the right hand plastic tray. The ML amp is under the tray and it will clearly be marked Mark Levinson.

If you absolutely need the ML system (and it's worth it) I would take it back and get my money back. If its not that important to you take it back and ask to be refunded the difference between the standard system and the ML system.

I don't think you are going to get much assistance from corporate, the transaction is between the elite dealer and you for a pre-owned car. The dealer has to make good, not Lexus corporate.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-07, 08:10 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Do you have something in writing/print stating that the ML system is to be on your car?
Old 01-31-07, 08:33 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is how it should look with the Mark Levinson.

Maybe the stack got replaced before?
http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/overview.asp?model=is
Check here for some more info may help. Which dealer was this? Rallye?
Old 01-31-07, 08:33 PM
talbin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RyanDe680
Do you have something in writing/print stating that the ML system is to be on your car?
Yup I sure do. I have the ad printed out which specifically states "MARK LEVINSON AUDIO AMAZING SOUND QUALITY" in 2 seperate locations. I would imagine if they didn't give it to me that it could be considered "bait and switch" or something to that effect which you can probably sue for.
Old 01-31-07, 08:54 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by talbin
Yup I sure do. I have the ad printed out which specifically states "MARK LEVINSON AUDIO AMAZING SOUND QUALITY" in 2 seperate locations. I would imagine if they didn't give it to me that it could be considered "bait and switch" or something to that effect which you can probably sue for.
More likely it is a lazy, overzealous ad writer. Most buyers wouldn't really know the difference if they weren't really looking for the ML system as part of the purchase. Hell, most buyers have never even heard of Mark Levinson so it would mean nothing to them.

If the ML logo isn't on the dash, or if there isn't a ML amp in the trunk, it's not a Mark Levinson system. It's easy to verify.

If you don't have it I'd take it back to the dealer and raise hell. Do not let them try to tell you all Lexus' have the ML system. Or that there really is no difference in the sound quality.
Old 01-31-07, 09:04 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

pop in a dvd and see if it plays...
Old 02-01-07, 06:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

this sucks, you shouldn't have to double check what the dealer tells you about a car's options...BUT I usually research first and look at specific pics of the car to determine options and NEVER trust the dealers anymore -- a lot of them just have no clue.

does the car have NAV?

the best option at this point would be to have them refund the alleged Mark Levinson option price of the car which differs if it has NAV or not ($940 option without NAV, $1400 option WITH NAV).

Last edited by bagwell; 02-01-07 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-01-07, 06:27 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

in all honesty the dealer prob doesn't care it was labeled wrong and i cant see them caring enough to compensate you in any way either. if you dont buy it they will just re-run the ad w/out the ML part and sell it to someone else. id be surprised if they do anything for you. sucks but thats the reality of it.
Old 02-01-07, 06:49 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
in all honesty the dealer prob doesn't care it was labeled wrong and i cant see them caring enough to compensate you in any way either. if you dont buy it they will just re-run the ad w/out the ML part and sell it to someone else. id be surprised if they do anything for you. sucks but thats the reality of it.
Thats the problem he already bought the car and since it is in writing.. that the car is supposed to have ML and that was part of the sales pitch.. then I'm not sure what planet you are from.. thats considered FALSE ADVERTISING.

Holy run on setence.. :P

Anyway, that would be like.. you buying an IS350, and they said the car at purchase had a V6.. you get it home and its an I4. Same principle.
Old 02-01-07, 07:40 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would assume there be some sort of disclaimer on the ad somewhere?

Usually to the effect of, "We are not liable for mistakes in the description of the ad or pricing errors etc...Please verify all items"

Usually see something like that in newspaper ads etc..
Old 02-01-07, 07:54 AM
cip
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I don't think you are going to get much assistance from corporate, the transaction is between the elite dealer and you for a pre-owned car. The dealer has to make good, not Lexus corporate
Absolutely you should contact corporate. That's one of the distinguishing things about Lexus. It's worth a few minutes of your time and it works. example:

I bought a 10 year old SC400 from Chicago McGrath dealer (no warranty purchased, though they offered to sell me one during transaction)... within 1 month the passenger brake caliper began to stick. By the time I noticed what was happening the caliper was getting hot. I went to my local brake guy who said the caliper was toast & so was the pad, rotor. I tried to contact the salesperson, but she did not return my call. Then I got the service manager.. he said to bring it in, but I was 40 + miles away.. anyway I didn't trust driving the car that far when within 5 miles the caliper was HOT!!! After paying the local guy $600 to replace the front brakes (2 new calipers, rotors, lifetime pads) I called the dealer and they were willing to send me $200 for my trouble. That was not satisfying to me so I called 1800-25LEXUS.... they apologized for the inconvenience & sent me another $100 credit voucher valid at any dealer.... and that was for a $12,000, 10-year old, 91,000 mile car...... you should definitely call them about your experience.
Old 02-01-07, 07:56 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The squeaky wheel gets the grease...
Old 02-01-07, 08:00 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Let us know what happens
Old 02-01-07, 08:01 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tcho82
I would assume there be some sort of disclaimer on the ad somewhere?

Usually to the effect of, "We are not liable for mistakes in the description of the ad or pricing errors etc...Please verify all items"

Usually see something like that in newspaper ads etc..
A disclaimer does not let the dealer off the hook if he sells the car with the expectation it has the ML system and then it does not. The buyer has two options as I see it: Either the owner can unwind the deal, or ask for compensation. The compensation can be calculated as the difference between the ML and non-ML system. Asking or sueing for other 'damages' is unlikely to go anywhere. It's an unfortuanate circumstance brought on by a sloppily worded ad and a dealer that didn't care enough to verify the facts, and a buyer who took the ad at face value and didn't do due diligence to verify he was getting what he was paying for.

Frankly, Lexus' marketing of the ML system is so low key to be almost non existent. The only indication an owner has is a small logo on the deck. You would think Lexus would put some indication on the Nav screen when the audio system was in use to advertise it was a Mark Levinson system.

Quick Reply: Just got my IS350... but there is a problem