IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Should I let the dealer pull out the headliner to check out the rattle?
Yes, pull it out and maybe find the rattle.
54.76%
There is some risk, so wait until 10k service.
9.52%
No, it's not worth the risk.
35.71%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Dealer wants to pull out headliner to find rattle. Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 08:25 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer wants to pull out headliner to find rattle. Help!?

So I had a couple rattles. They said they took care of the ones in the dash (so they said), but the one in the roof, they think it's the moon roof mechanism. They want to take out the headliner, so they called me and asked me first, because they know I like my car really really nice. Anyway, I was wondering what "risk" if any, that might exist. I don't want damage, but I heard for some cars it just snaps off. Anyway, I might just bring the car home, and maybe wait until the 10k, but I want to get it fixed.
Old 02-02-07, 08:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd wait unless its very very annoying & a bad rattle...
Old 02-02-07, 09:28 AM
is2fiddy
Driver

After they the dealer did the seat belt recall, I have a rattle on the drivers side, right behind my left ear. It drives me crazy. I am going to wait for my next service and get them to check it out.
Old 02-02-07, 09:54 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

Totally illogical question.
"I want to get it fixed".
So?
Old 02-02-07, 10:02 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say do it. Headliners aren't that big of an issue, especially the way the newer cars are made.. basically pops in and out.

As long as they don't break any of the clips that go around your A, B, and C pillars you should be all right!
Old 02-02-07, 11:07 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Thanks a lot! I've told them to go ahead and fix it. It should be pretty simple now, and they said they've obviously done more then one

Hopefully it won't cause more rattles =/
Old 02-03-07, 11:00 AM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

If you already let them rip into the dash, I guarantee you the headliner is significantly less complicated than that, so what's the worry?
Old 02-03-07, 11:52 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Anyway, Yeah, I let them rip everything out. I don't know if they fixed the rattle, because someone broke my outside plastic clip thingy next to the window.... Now I have to let them keep my car until Monday.... wtf... The inside looks ok though. Didn't see any stains, rip, cracks, or misalignment. Hopefully there isn't, but damn... Even though they loan me an IS350 this time, I miss my own car

And the stock IS350 suspension is REALLY soft to me. So soft it actually bothers me. Hmmm damn butt.
Old 02-10-07, 11:43 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be a little too late to say it but when I was at the dealer for a moonroof rattle he was telling me that this particular rattle he's never dealt with, and he could "take apart everything, but it could solve nothing, it might in fact, cause another rattle". The techs know just as much as you when it comes to rattles, they have to open it up and see, and sometimes they can't solve it, or make it worse.
Old 02-11-07, 09:52 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I had to find the rattle myself on my IS becuase the dealer couldn't find it. Once I found it, I took it back, showed them exactly what was casuing it and they fixed it.
Old 02-11-07, 05:28 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

rattle totally annoys me... i'm going to bring it to the dealer soon
Old 02-13-08, 07:34 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the headliner is not that hard. They may even place new clips as as they should. Let them fix it under warrenty so you can free up your weekend. Plus, you can get a loaner and it will not put you out. Many people on here have had that issue with the sunroof housing rattling. I remember reading about a particular Chrysler model having door rattles and it turned out, there was a disgrunteled assembly line worker who was dropping little screw drivers he purchased in bulk, in the bottom of the door panel. He was fired only after hundreds of complaints and this was researched only to have dealers finding these little screwdrivers in all cases.
Old 02-13-08, 07:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would mind the headliner.Taking out the dash would scare me a hell of alot more.
Old 02-13-08, 08:01 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some dealers are good at fixing rattles.... For instance around me Lexus of Norwood can't fix a rattle if it was a baby in the back see with it.... But Lexus of Watertown does there job and fixes anything. although they did get a little grease on the headliner that i took off with Scrubbin bubbles
Old 02-13-08, 09:44 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

And you shouldn't let them. They did that with me and they are everywhere now. Last week I was cleaning my car and in the C-pillar there is an airbag with the cover over it right? Well lets just say that the cover was just hanging wide open and I had to pop it back into place.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants to pull out headliner to find rattle. Help!?