Why is Japan not shipping many IS350 to U.S

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 10:38 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
I'm here to dispel some myths.
I bought my IS350 from Longo, I got a great deal, and I'd recommend them to my family/friends in a heartbeat. Lobux bought his IS from Longo about 3 weeks after me, and he got a better deal. Longo is the largest Lexus dealer west of the mississippi (2nd only to JM), so you can believe that they have the inventory or the pull to get any car they want. I can't speak for the other SoCal buyers out there, but if you do your homework, know exactly what you want and have decent credit, Longo is a viable option. . .
Fair enough. I agree, its possible to get a good deal anywhere. I just think some of those big Southern California dealerships (for any brand) can get that feeling like "we don't need your business, I'll just sell it to the next guy" mentality.
Old 02-06-07, 11:38 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to hear somebody got a good deal from longo, but anyways they seemed very unwilling to do any deals, maybe that would change if you showed them $$ and were right in front of them ready to get a car. To me though a dealer that is looking to get repeat customers should try and at least offer something up front and be more helpful.....
Old 02-18-07, 08:14 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Since this was my thread I thought I would update you all. I visited another Lexus dealer within 50 miles of where I live, Lexus of Pembroke Pines, they basically told me that the IS350 with the options I want ML/NAV/LUX/PA/Spoiler does not exist within the nation, I asked about special ordering and they said you can't special order the car, they said that they have put special orders in before for the IS350 and Japan has declined the order and told them it's not a special order, Japan actually makes the car so it's not a special order, I said yeah they may make it but there not in Glacier Frost/Black or some other color I had considered, He said a special order was not possible. I also called another dealer in Palm Beach and they said I could order but would take 4 months.

So then I went back to JM and they said the car can be special ordered, I said I'm ready to buy now, they said you can order it and it will arrive sometime in June at this point. I asked one of their general managers why is it so hard to find a Lux Pkg with these options in FL, he said they don't allocate Lux Pkgs for the IS350 to FL so it would be a special order either way. He also said that Lexus was scaling back on the IS350 and making more IS250 since that is where the market is selling. So after looking within the past few months I have learned a great deal, for FL I will not be able to get what I want unless I special order.

Since I tend to buy and keep for 5 or more yrs and not lease, I think special ordering would be unwise at this time. If I ordered now, I would get in June and I'd be paying for a 07 that has already depreciated since within a few months the 08's will be out so my car would be a yr old already, I might as well wait till the fall and order. I can wait so it's not a big deal, I'm not crying just dissappointed. I just didn't think it was going to be this hard to give Lexus my money and get into the car I want within a month. So guys, I probably won't be posting, but you'll probably see me in the fall if all goes as planned that is if I don't end at BMW or Infiniti before the fall comes around.

Thanks everyone for all your help and info on this model.
Old 02-18-07, 08:28 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Since I tend to buy and keep for 5 or more yrs and not lease, I think special ordering would be unwise at this time. If I ordered now, I would get in June and I'd be paying for a 07 that has already depreciated since within a few months the 08's will be out so my car would be a yr old already, I might as well wait till the fall and order. I can wait so it's not a big deal, I'm not crying just dissappointed. I just didn't think it was going to be this hard to give Lexus my money and get into the car I want within a month. So guys, I probably won't be posting, but you'll probably see me in the fall if all goes as planned that is if I don't end at BMW or Infiniti before the fall comes around.

I don't agree with your conclusion at all that waiting for an '08 makes the most sense. The longer you keep your car the less significant the factor of whether it is an '07 or '08 model becomes. In 5 or 6 years the difference between consecutive model years re. resale value is not really significant. Plus you lose the pleasure of driving the vehicle for the period you wait before ordering. After everything you have been through I would have thrown down a deposit at JM and special ordered the car if I was convinced that is the car I wanted. And I wouldn't worry when I got it in June if it was a late model '07 instead of an '08. One can always find a reason why they should wait for the next model; in my view you either want the car or not.

Your last statement about maybe getting an Infiniti (!) or a BMW would seem to indicate that maybe the IS isn't the car you really think you want. At least that is how I see it. Otherwise I think you would have pulled the trigger and started counting the days until you got the call from JM telling you the car was in. Now you just have to face a wait later in the year. Doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by Evitzee; 02-18-07 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-18-07, 08:37 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Since this was my thread I thought I would update you all. I visited another Lexus dealer within 50 miles of where I live, Lexus of Pembroke Pines, they basically told me that the IS350 with the options I want ML/NAV/LUX/PA/Spoiler does not exist within the nation, I asked about special ordering and they said you can't special order the car, they said that they have put special orders in before for the IS350 and Japan has declined the order and told them it's not a special order, Japan actually makes the car so it's not a special order, I said yeah they may make it but there not in Glacier Frost/Black or some other color I had considered, He said a special order was not possible. I also called another dealer in Palm Beach and they said I could order but would take 4 months.

So then I went back to JM and they said the car can be special ordered, I said I'm ready to buy now, they said you can order it and it will arrive sometime in June at this point. I asked one of their general managers why is it so hard to find a Lux Pkg with these options in FL, he said they don't allocate Lux Pkgs for the IS350 to FL so it would be a special order either way. He also said that Lexus was scaling back on the IS350 and making more IS250 since that is where the market is selling. So after looking within the past few months I have learned a great deal, for FL I will not be able to get what I want unless I special order.

Just FYI, I special ordered my IS350/Lux/Nav/ML from JM Lexus last year, and they were a pleasure to deal with. If you keep a car 5+ years, I don't see why it would be a big deal to purchase a car near the next model year. I purchased in July, but I did lease.

Good luck.
Old 02-20-07, 02:56 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Agree with Evitzee, if you buy and hold the car for 5+ yrs, in terms of value, it won't matter if it's a late model '07 or a new '08. What will matter is I'm sure that a '08 will cost more than a '07, since there's a 99% chance that there'll be a price increase and destination charge WILL go up. Also factor in that a dealer will be more willing to discount a '07, and will want MSRP for the '08s when they come out. Also, a special order may not take the full 4 months, if a car with your specs becomes available on a future allocation, JM can reserve that car and have it allocated to them on the next delivery from port (after all JM is the largest Lexus dealer in the world) . . .
Old 03-15-07, 02:25 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I just had a dealer here in Dallas tell me that Lexus did not produce any 350s last month or this month... I'm calling BS on that one!
Old 03-15-07, 03:50 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Buds
I just had a dealer here in Dallas tell me that Lexus did not produce any 350s last month or this month... I'm calling BS on that one!
Dealer's don't know crap! I work for Toyota and knew some things but just pretended not to know while placing my order with pkgs. The dealer kept BS'ing on and on and on....
Old 03-15-07, 04:38 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at my local dealership in Bay Area, CA. Not to buy a car, but just look arround. There were over 15 2007 IS, only two was 350 with NAV. I am glad that I got mine when I did. I waited two weeks last Sept.
Old 03-15-07, 07:46 PM
JerryRig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Buds
Lawlz! That's becuase nobody in Dallas has an IS350 to sell! Park Place (Plano) told me they got ONE SINGLE IS350 on their last allocation, and it was an ST without Nav.

I was dead set on an IS350 lease (for a daily driver) just a few months ago... my best friend got an '06 ST + Nav for $500 over invoice during the end of D2R. I want the same deal of course and now Park Place is telling me "no can do" even if they had the car I wanted. Allocation is downright redonkulous and I'm not giving a dealership any more than $500 for a car just because they're "rare" [a'hem -- mis-allocated].

It seems as if things aren't any easier for those looking @ 335i coupes. I'm going to have a fking FIELD DAY with the manufacturer reps at the Dallas Auto Show!

If I can't find a reasonable price on an IS350 configured the way I want it, I'll just hold out for the '08 Pontiac G8 GT
Old 03-15-07, 08:04 PM
doe724
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem looking for the 350 I wanted, I wanted it loaded lux pkg, nav. The dealer telling you that the 350 is a dead product is crap. The reason why I wanted the 350 is the power, It's much faster than the 250 for obvious reasons. I wouldn't stop lookin for your 350.
Old 03-15-07, 08:24 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

don't believe everything the salesperson tells you...
Old 03-15-07, 08:30 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a lot of the 07s are coming with NAV now, whether it be 250 or 350 at least in the BAY Area, probably pushing a lot of 350s over 40K, and since the 250 outsells 350s by at least 3-4:1, the ratio is probably growing ever so slightl, guess the dealer doesn't like having year old used IS with no NAV that everyone just passes up.