IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?
Yes
42.21%
No
57.79%
Voters: 462. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 12:32 PM
carvelo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?

I bought my smoky granite mica IS250 3 days ago and went in for my first free wash this morning. Unforutnately, it came out and has the worst looking swirl marks I've ever seen on a new car. It looked awful, so I talked to the service manager and he agreed to have it polished soon. I'm really hoping that all the damage can be undone by the polish next week. I just can't believe that a lexus dealership would do this to their own cars. I figured I could trust their wash to not leave a ton of swirl marks.

So my question is, do you actually use the Lexus dealer wash? I've always washed my own cars, but this time I thought I could trust the dealer. I was wrong. BTW, dealership is Lexus of Austin...
Old 02-03-07, 12:34 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

I would not. Especially in the winter time in the midwest... we have a lot of crappy weather up here...

I go to touchless car washes when I am not doing it myself in the spring/summer/fall. The Lexus wash (at least at my dealer) is the plain old brush wash, and yes, swirls galore (as I have seen by other family members that took their cars to get washed there).
Old 02-03-07, 12:37 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

They never know how to wash a car. Plus your just asking for swirls if you go there. Do it yourself. The time will be well spent
Old 02-03-07, 01:05 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Newport Lexus, my dealer/service, claims to have a 1 million dollar car wash with clothes and not brushes. I let them wash my IS350 Obsidian once, and it was actually ok. Maybe I had a lot of wax on it, but there weren't any noticable marks. Anyway, my service rep always asks me if I want a wash, because he knows I don't like them washing it. He actually reminded me this time I took it in and always leave a big red paper sign in the car just incase they miss the order.

I would wash myself. My 02 Subaru paint/coat/not sure has been destroyed in Indiana. I was in school, and lived in the dorms, so I couldn't wash it myself. I would take that thing through car washes all the time and there are swirls and scratches all over it even after waxing.
Old 02-03-07, 01:06 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

The only time the dealer washed my car happened before I got it. I wash it on my own ever since.
Old 02-03-07, 01:07 PM
Jblaze2
Pole Position

I have a Tungsten Pearl car, so I have no problem letting them wash it.
Old 02-03-07, 01:51 PM
carvelo
Driver School Candidate

Well, my car is never going back there...hand washing from here on out.
Old 02-03-07, 02:21 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well for you with black cars it'll be really noticeable. But in the winter, I'm going to the dealer to wash my car. Its too damn cold to even think of doing it myself. And besides its free. I always wash my own car in the summer though.

Come spring time I just thoroughly detail the car with a claybar, full detail and polish with the porter cable, and some zaino. No swirls after that. The dealership I go to does have lambscloth in their car wash though, so its better than most other normal washes at the gas station etc... All cars will get swirls somehow in their lifetime, its really more how you take care of your paint with polishing, claybar, and regular waxing.

However. That being said. People with black cars should never take their cars through a normal wash.... heh.

Glacier Frost Mica FTW!
Old 02-03-07, 05:08 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randh
I have a Tungsten Pearl car, so I have no problem letting them wash it.
same here, but usually i wash my own car and it usually takes at least 2 hours. exterior, interior, engine bay and everything in between.
Old 02-03-07, 05:15 PM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

no cause they're mean and told me i had to pay after the "first complimentary car wash" hahaa... JERKS! so i stand around and wash my car when its like 22 degrees outside for about 2 hours cause im short and cant reach the top of my car
Old 02-03-07, 05:54 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I take mine in to the dealer every week for a wash and never any swirls...they do a pretty good job.
Old 02-03-07, 08:20 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

no, nada, never, no way. When I leased a car, yes, and they always did a terrible job. I wash and clean mine before I take it in, and then tell them not to wash it. They are always happy to hear that as they tell you it will be an additional hour wait for the car wash. They don't want to do it anyway.
Old 02-03-07, 08:23 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

I take mine in when I get a chance. They do an excellent job with my wheels.
Old 02-03-07, 08:42 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I don't have a problem with the car wash at my dealer, but it does a lousy job on the wheels. Next time I go in for service, I'm going to take a pass on the automated car wash.
Old 02-03-07, 08:53 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carvelo
I bought my smoky granite mica IS250 3 days ago and went in for my first free wash this morning.

So my question is, do you actually use the Lexus dealer wash? I've always washed my own cars, but this time I thought I could trust the dealer. I was wrong. BTW, dealership is Lexus of Austin...
I'd never waste my time to take the car to the dealer just to get a free car wash. Go to the local wash and put in a $1.25 and wash it yourself. And the weather in TX is almost always conducive in doing it yourself.

Quick Reply: Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?