IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

5 % tint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 11:13 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

I'd be damned if I would put a tint so dark on my car that I couldn't see out at night or when reversing. That's just plain dumb. Driving is such an exercise in preventive behaviour these days with all the other yokels on the roads it seems counterproductive to put a tint so dark on you couldn't clearly see cars on your side clearly when changing lanes or maneuvering on the freeway. Tint in the 25% to 35% range is a good compromise in my opinion. But 5%, no way. That's putting the vanity of how you think your ride looks over common sense and safety.
Old 02-05-07, 12:03 PM
jasonviper
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 20% on my tC and that was NOT dark enough for me so this time around I will be going with 5% ,thats what I need here in south texas.
Old 02-05-07, 12:12 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I'd be damned if I would put a tint so dark on my car that I couldn't see out at night or when reversing. That's just plain dumb. Driving is such an exercise in preventive behaviour these days with all the other yokels on the roads it seems counterproductive to put a tint so dark on you couldn't clearly see cars on your side clearly when changing lanes or maneuvering on the freeway. Tint in the 25% to 35% range is a good compromise in my opinion. But 5%, no way. That's putting the vanity of how you think your ride looks over common sense and safety.
not trying to bash those that got 5% or lower tint on their ride, but Evitzee sums up my concern nicely.
Old 02-05-07, 12:46 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 5% on my Tungsten Pearl 2IS (like car_lost's 2IS in post #13). I like it very well. I have very little trouble seeing at night although I do have excellent vision. And thankfully the police in my area overlook tint unless they pull you over for more serious offences first and just want to tack on an extra fine.
Old 02-05-07, 04:37 PM
bturnbaugh
Driver

So. Cal Highway Patrol HATES 5%. Not a chance here.
Old 02-05-07, 05:30 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let’s use some common sense here. The reason you don’t want 5% tint is not because the cops will eventually pull you over, but because you may kill someone you didn’t see!
Old 02-05-07, 05:50 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Magellan
Let’s use some common sense here. The reason you don’t want 5% tint is not because the cops will eventually pull you over, but because you may kill someone you didn’t see!

There's 1000 ways you COULD KILL someone in a car. You could be changing the radio, playing with the nav ect..ect.....IMO its all in the person, everybody is different.
Old 02-05-07, 06:06 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stangd1909
There's 1000 ways you COULD KILL someone in a car. You could be changing the radio, playing with the nav ect..ect.....IMO its all in the person, everybody is different.
With all due respect, that’s a specious argument. Comparing one bad thing to justify another makes no sense.

And as far as everybody being different, unless a 5% tint driver is a Superman with vision powers not normally found in our species then we’re all about the same. I understand that owls can see well at night, but we're not owls.

Try putting a pair of dark sunglasses on at night and tell me you can see as well as when not wearing them. Like I said, we need to use a little common sense here before some child or old lady crossing the street at night gets killed.
Old 02-05-07, 06:12 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Magellan
With all due respect, that’s a specious argument. Comparing one bad thing to justify another makes no sense.

And as far as everybody being different, unless a 5% tint driver is a Superman with vision powers not normally found in our species then we’re all about the same. I understand that owls can see well at night, but we're not owls.

Try putting a pair of dark sunglasses on at night and tell me you can see as well as when not wearing them. Like I said, we need to use a little common sense here before some child or old lady crossing the street at night gets killed.

I have never had a problem seeing out of dark windows at night...and I am not superman I agree some people should not have tint at all LOL but I guess we will just agree to disagree on this.
Old 02-05-07, 08:12 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get away with 5% in Vegas...they NEVER pull people over for it. I know many people, including myself with limo tint, and not one of us has been pulled over for it. I guess it's because the cops have better things to be doing, or they understand that the Vegas sun will give you cancer in .02 seconds.
Old 02-06-07, 12:26 AM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

5%
socal- sd-ontario
cant see nothing at night.
i use my camera to change lanes.

hahaha jk.
Old 02-06-07, 01:02 AM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you guys drive with the windows down all the time
i cant imagine a cop pulling next to you and not pulling you over
at night its easier to get away with it because cops are busy with the night stuff but in the day it is so blatent
i have cops come behind me all the time so i cant imagine you just avoid them
Old 02-06-07, 01:43 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Julez
do you guys drive with the windows down all the time
i cant imagine a cop pulling next to you and not pulling you over
at night its easier to get away with it because cops are busy with the night stuff but in the day it is so blatent
i have cops come behind me all the time so i cant imagine you just avoid them
Nope. In fact, I was just reminded of a time when I was pulled over during daylight ("Going a little fast there, aren't ya?") and the cop didn't say anything about it at all.

I am telling you, they just do not care in Las Vegas, and it's great.

BTW, got off with a warning about the speeding. I was lucky all around, and that usually never happens!
Old 02-06-07, 06:13 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

i've gotten a speeding ticket and the cop didnt even look at the windows.
Old 02-06-07, 09:05 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Again, some of you may be missing the point. It’s not a question of whether you’ll get pulled over or not; it’s a matter of when and if you’ll kill someone some night because you couldn’t see well enough through the tint.

Quick Reply: 5 % tint?