IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

OEM rear spoiler ends keep lifting up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 08:13 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRISIS
gsrthomas, When I just test fit the spoiler into places and don't hold it down, the ends are about 3/4th inches above the trunk lid. My dad and I drilled the holes properly using the template. We got the IS from Longo also. Where are you or your dads shop located at? Can you guys do my install too?
The shop is in Anahiem and I live in Placentia. Let me know if you want to stop by.

Is this an oem lexus spoiler??
Old 02-04-07, 08:21 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Yeah its an oem lexus spoiler that I ordered from Sewell. Whats the shops address and hours? Can i come buy on the weekend sometime?
Old 02-04-07, 10:35 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

when u drilled the holes... are they big enough so that the bolts fit into the hole and actually have enough space to move around freely? mine lift up on the edges also and i suspect the holes that i drilled were not low enough. the holes i drilled were big enough for the bolts to fit in snugly.. there was no free play for the bolts to move around. i plan on ripping the spoiler off and snapping the bolts off n just keep it down with some 3m tape.
Old 02-04-07, 10:51 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

The holes are big enough to fit snugly. Is your spoiler stretching out the tape too like mine is?
Old 02-04-07, 10:53 PM
neova
Pole Position

Check the fitment of the OEM spoiler, if it fits it should not lift up.

I will be installing my OEM spoiler when it arrives. I won't be drilling holes but will get the shop to use the 3M double-sided tape PLUS urethane glue it.

My IS300 spoiler was installed the same way and never lifted and has been secure for 3 years.
Old 02-04-07, 11:53 PM
Jblaze2
Pole Position

Is the industrial strength one stronger than the 3m with red backing for automotive moldings? Also can you guys tell me the process of how you stuck it down..like did you start from the middle and then went to the edges, did you use clamps? or any other techniques that can help. Thanks.

Thats might be the same tape I have. Mine is like grayish with a red backing also, but i know it's the indutrial strength one. Either way, you're welcome to use it if you'd like.
Old 02-05-07, 06:51 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by neova
Check the fitment of the OEM spoiler, if it fits it should not lift up.

I will be installing my OEM spoiler when it arrives. I won't be drilling holes but will get the shop to use the 3M double-sided tape PLUS urethane glue it.

My IS300 spoiler was installed the same way and never lifted and has been secure for 3 years.
I don't understand how someone can just tape the oem lexus spoiler on?? The oem spoiler has 3 ribbits that stick out at the back of the spoiler, 1 in the middle and two on the ends. Those ribbits are used to screw down the spoiler and are part of the spoiler. So there is no way to install this spoiler without cutting or sawing off those ribbits because they will be in the way once you try to install the spoiler.
Old 02-05-07, 06:59 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

it sounds like the holes were drilled low ,compaired to the center hole.If you look at the pic and imagine pulling down on the ends this is what would happen.pulls up on top .
Old 02-05-07, 07:50 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jeremy
it sounds like the holes were drilled low ,compaired to the center hole.If you look at the pic and imagine pulling down on the ends this is what would happen.pulls up on top .
Exactly what i was thinking.
Old 02-05-07, 07:59 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The holes are big enough to fit snugly. Is your spoiler stretching out the tape too like mine is?
mine isn't as bad as yours... the tape isn't stetching. there is just a slight little gap where u can see the 3m tape. the holes i drilled are also big enough to fit snugly. u should try to drill those holes slightly bigger... the holes are either too low or too high which is causing the ends to not sit flush with the trunk.
Old 02-05-07, 11:03 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I don't understand how someone can just tape the oem lexus spoiler on?? The oem spoiler has 3 ribbits that stick out at the back of the spoiler, 1 in the middle and two on the ends. Those ribbits are used to screw down the spoiler and are part of the spoiler. So there is no way to install this spoiler without cutting or sawing off those ribbits because they will be in the way once you try to install the spoiler.
Dremeling off the screws is exactly what people are doing who don't want to drill. It seems to work ok, but if the design people thought the best way to install it was just with tape why wouldn't they go that route? It would make installation of this item far easier and cheaper for the port installed spoilers, or those installed at the dealer. There is just something inherently cheap and tacky about just gluing a part like this on. Sometimes the elegance of a properly engineered and installed unit has beauty in its own right.

Mine was a port installed spoiler so it is taped and screwed on......and it fits perfectly. The port must install thousands of these each month and they would have the technique down to a science with jigs and such.
Old 02-05-07, 11:17 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Dremeling off the screws is exactly what people are doing who don't want to drill. It seems to work ok, but if the design people thought the best way to install it was just with tape why wouldn't they go that route? It would make installation of this item far easier and cheaper for the port installed spoilers, or those installed at the dealer. There is just something inherently cheap and tacky about just gluing a part like this on. Sometimes the elegance of a properly engineered and installed unit has beauty in its own right.

Mine was a port installed spoiler so it is taped and screwed on......and it fits perfectly. The port must install thousands of these each month and they would have the technique down to a science with jigs and such.
I did not know people were dremeling off the ribbits. At first I was going to just tape it. But no way I was going to cut off those things and do a half *** job. So I decided to drill and I'm glad I did because the install was perfect. Looks like a install from the factory.
Old 02-05-07, 11:25 AM
JBgirlie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
There is just something inherently cheap and tacky about just gluing a part like this on. Sometimes the elegance of a properly engineered and installed unit has beauty in its own right.
Mine holds and looks just the same as yours, yet it's inherently cheap and tacky?
Old 02-05-07, 12:19 PM
richw350
Rookie

I had this same problem. The ends of my spoiler were lifting. The dealer had installed it, so I had them install another spoiler. The same thing happened. I now have my third spoiler installed and the ends are flat. The main difference was they had their shop install the spoiler using a stronger adhesive. So far it seems to have solved it. I will update everyone if it lifts again.
Old 02-05-07, 03:29 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by richw350
I had this same problem. The ends of my spoiler were lifting. The dealer had installed it, so I had them install another spoiler. The same thing happened. I now have my third spoiler installed and the ends are flat. The main difference was they had their shop install the spoiler using a stronger adhesive. So far it seems to have solved it. I will update everyone if it lifts again.
Cool, let us know.

I'm going to drill my holes slightly bigger and then retape and reinstall the spoiler again. I hope this time it will stay down better but if not I will go to gsrthomas and his shop. Thanks for the input guys.

Quick Reply: OEM rear spoiler ends keep lifting up?