IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

OEM rear spoiler ends keep lifting up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 09:45 PM
neova
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I don't understand how someone can just tape the oem lexus spoiler on?? The oem spoiler has 3 ribbits that stick out at the back of the spoiler, 1 in the middle and two on the ends. Those ribbits are used to screw down the spoiler and are part of the spoiler. So there is no way to install this spoiler without cutting or sawing off those ribbits because they will be in the way once you try to install the spoiler.
Dang, I didn't realize the the OEM spoiler came with 3 ribbits? I assumed it was like the Rod Millen Spoiler I had for my IS300, which came with double sided 3M tape and pre-drilled holes on the underside of the spoiler. I had installed it with urethane glue, which was hardly tacky and was very strong (thus i didn't need to drill thru the trunk)

Hmm... would drilling the holes in the trunk create any water leaks even if done properly? Or would the seal from the spoiler prevent moisture from seeping into the trunk lining?
Old 02-06-07, 06:16 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JBgirlie
Mine holds and looks just the same as yours, yet it's inherently cheap and tacky?
No, it's not. I used an unfortunate choice of words when I said that in my original post. Fundamentally I don't like sticking things on with glue or tape, no matter secure it may be. I like the hard attachment of nuts and bolts when something is engineered. And I still feel that if Lexus engineers felt the best way to install this item is with the screwed connections why would we change that? Just for convenience? A taped attachment will probably be fine for the life of the car, but I'd rather have it attached firmly and permanently as it was designed. Either way works depending on how you feel about it. To each their own.
Old 02-06-07, 06:20 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

dealer did mine and i dont have any issues. sorry its not working out
Old 02-07-07, 03:26 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Drilled the holes slightly larger yesterday and reinstalled the spoiler, but the ends came up again. This sucks lol. I wonder if the 3m automotive tape is too thin, because when I place it on the spoiler, its about the same height as that small "lip" on the inner side of the spoiler, and this might be preventing the tape from making complete contact with the lid. Does anyone else this might be why its not sticking?

Last edited by CHRISIS; 02-07-07 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added additional info
Old 02-07-07, 04:17 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHRISIS
Drilled the holes slightly larger yesterday and reinstalled the spoiler, but the ends came up again. This sucks lol. I wonder if the 3m automotive tape is too thin, because when I place it on the spoiler, its about the same height as that small "lip" on the inner side of the spoiler, and this might be preventing the tape from making complete contact with the lid. Does anyone else this might be why its not sticking?
I doubt it. The spoiler should form with the Trunklid. Some people I know put the spoiler on without drilling. They removed the bolts. When the bolts were removed but the tape covers were still on. This person made sure that the spoiler met with the trunk properly. It does.

WHAT I am saying is if you put the spoiler on without tap and without th bolts. The spoiler should be flush with the trunklid. Otherwise the spoiler is malformed.

Try putting it on without tape and see if it fits with the trunk. You must have drilled it incorrectly, or the spoiler is malformed.
Old 02-07-07, 09:42 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Just to clarify, if the spoiler had no bolts and no tape, it's supposed to be flush completely on the top of the trunklid, correct? I'm sure that I drilled correctly, so I'm guessing that the spoiler is malformed like some of you guys suggested. I ordered the spoiler from sewell. Do you guys think they would be able to send me another spoiler with one of those return slips (dont know what theyre called) so that I can compare the 2 spoilers before I use the return slip to send back the old one? I don't want to send this one back before I get another because then I'll be driving around with 3 holes on my trunk lol.
Old 02-07-07, 09:48 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

What you mean the new spoiler had no bolts and tape?

If its a oem lexus spoiler it should have this ribbits and it would of came with three screws that you screw onto the ribbits. Plus toward the ends it should have oem tape on the ends. You just peel off the plastic film to expose the adhesive.
Old 02-07-07, 10:31 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
What you mean the new spoiler had no bolts and tape?

If its a oem lexus spoiler it should have this ribbits and it would of came with three screws that you screw onto the ribbits. Plus toward the ends it should have oem tape on the ends. You just peel off the plastic film to expose the adhesive.
Ohh no I was referring to what tqlla3k had said and was just asking if hypothetically, if there were no bolts or tape, then would it lay on the trunk lid completely flat?

Last edited by CHRISIS; 02-07-07 at 10:31 PM. Reason: wording
Old 05-25-07, 03:46 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

im having the same problem... the ends of my spoiler keep lifting up... i think i might have to use something a bit more stronger than double sided tape..
Old 05-25-07, 04:01 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kschawaii
im having the same problem... the ends of my spoiler keep lifting up... i think i might have to use something a bit more stronger than double sided tape..
In my situation, I had to file the holes so that they were higher up on the trunk. This allowed the spoiler to more fully "form" to the trunk edge. Look at your spoiler from the side view and see if it lays at an angle to the trunk rather than being almost flat and level to it, and if it is, then you have to bring the holes up a bit higher.
Old 05-26-07, 10:36 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

uhh.... did you use 3M adhesive promoter before you applied the tape?

Did you remove all of the wax befor eyou applied the tape?

Did you let the tape cure atleast 3-4 days before next wash?

Are the holes drilled in the correct location? If not, the spoiler may not seat properly, therefore the adhesive won't hold it securely.

There is definitely a problem with the install.
Old 06-03-07, 07:12 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4GRFSE-GFM
uhh.... did you use 3M adhesive promoter before you applied the tape?

Did you remove all of the wax befor eyou applied the tape?

Did you let the tape cure atleast 3-4 days before next wash?

Are the holes drilled in the correct location? If not, the spoiler may not seat properly, therefore the adhesive won't hold it securely.

There is definitely a problem with the install.
3m adhesive promoter??? never heard of that.. I'm going to make my way down to home depot after this post...

My trunk was wax free.

yes, i let the tape cure for about a week before i washed it or hit the sun.

And i didnt want to drill holes in my trunk so i cut off the screws.. But before i did that i searched the forums and many people said that their spoiler fits perfectly with only using double sided tape..