IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

OEM rear spoiler ends keep lifting up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 06:27 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM rear spoiler ends keep lifting up?

Hi, I recently installed my oem rear spoiler that I ordered from Sewell last week. I didn't want to just use tape so I drilled holes. The first time I installed it, the ends lifted up. So I took it off and reinstalled it using 3m red backing double sided tape. It still came up the next day, so I redid it another time, but the ends were lifting up again lol. It seems like the tape cannot handle holding the spoiler down and I can see it being stretched. Can anyone who installed it themselves (drilled holes and used tape instead of just using tape) help me? Here are some pics

Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-07, 06:46 PM
hibachi122
Driver School Candidate

man, that is just SICK! i have an idea though. use a "Matador Red" marker and color it in.
Old 02-04-07, 06:51 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Welcome to club lexus..thanks for the suggestion but I'd rather find a way to keep it down so that there are no gaps on the ends where the spoiler meets the top of the trunk. Oh and I don't want to use glue on the trunk.
Old 02-04-07, 06:57 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I`ll try to help.If you drilled holes the spoiler must bolt on?If it does then it sounds like you may have over thighten the bolts and stressed the spoiler a little.May try to take off and ,heat to @100 degrees and install again leave bolts hand thight until the spoiler cools .Then thiten to factory specs.lol
Old 02-04-07, 07:08 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Jeremy
I`ll try to help.If you drilled holes the spoiler must bolt on?If it does then it sounds like you may have over thighten the bolts and stressed the spoiler a little.May try to take off and ,heat to @100 degrees and install again leave bolts hand thight until the spoiler cools .Then thiten to factory specs.lol
Yeah, I temporarily tighten the bolts and then tape it on, and then use a hairdryer to try and make it conform to the body. And then I tighten the bolts until they are snug, but when I wake up to check it the next day, the ends have lifted again lol.
Old 02-04-07, 07:22 PM
Jblaze2
Pole Position

I installed my spoiler using tape only so I dont know if I can be of much help.

Make sure you wipe the trunk with some rubbing alcohol where the spoiler attaches if you haven't already. Also, is your 3m tape the industrial strength one? If not, you're welcome to come grab some from me in Long Beach.
Old 02-04-07, 07:33 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my with tape too... it is important that you use 3M industrial strength!
Old 02-04-07, 07:38 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Is the industrial strength one stronger than the 3m with red backing for automotive moldings? Also can you guys tell me the process of how you stuck it down..like did you start from the middle and then went to the edges, did you use clamps? or any other techniques that can help. Thanks.
Old 02-04-07, 07:41 PM
jasonviper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CHRISIS
Yeah, I temporarily tighten the bolts and then tape it on, and then use a hairdryer to try and make it conform to the body. And then I tighten the bolts until they are snug, but when I wake up to check it the next day, the ends have lifted again lol.
Thats your problem right there the hairdreyer is melting the tape allowing it to lift.
Old 02-04-07, 07:43 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

If you drilled holes (3 of them, 1 in the middle 2 on the ends) the ends shouldnt lift up. You shouldnt have a need for tape if the holes were drilled properly. Maybe its a defective spoiler or something happend during the installation process.

I installed my oem spoiler myself with the help of my dad and my ends dont lift up at all. Anything is solid.

Try to tighten the nuts on both ends, thats my only guess of whats going on.

Here are some pics when I installed my spoiler at my dads shop.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 02-04-07 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 07:51 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Oh I thought that heating it up would make it conform to the body.

gsrthomas, when you placed the spoiler into the holes to see how it would fit, were the ends flush with the body? On mine, the spoiler is flush everywhere on the top except on the 2 ends. So when I tape it down, I have to press down on the ends of the spoiler so that they contact the trunk lid, but it seems like the spoiler has too much resistance for the tape to keep it down
Old 02-04-07, 07:52 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I just installed mine this weekend. Without the bolts screwed on, the spoiler just kind of falls into place. I dont see any reason it would even lift on the sides, given that it forms exactly to the trunk.

Take all the tape off again. Fit the spoiler on without the tape. If it doesnt fit right, either you hav drilled yur trunk wrong.. or the spoiler is malformed.
Old 02-04-07, 07:54 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CHRISIS
Oh I thought that heating it up would make it conform to the body.

gsrthomas, when you placed the spoiler into the holes to see how it would fit, were the ends flush with the body? On mine, the spoiler is flush everywhere on the top except on the 2 ends. So when I tape it down, I have to press down on the ends of the spoiler so that they contact the trunk lid, but it seems like the spoiler has too much resistance for the tape to keep it down
There was little resistance, but when I started to tighten the screws the spoiler came into place and everything was flush.

You shouldnt need tape at all to install this spoiler. Try to tighten the 2 screws on the ends.

Are you sure you drilled the holes in the proper place?
Old 02-04-07, 07:57 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I believe the hairdryer is the problem. You shouldn't have used it to heat up the spoiler. As long as its done in a 60-70 degree environment, it should be fine.
Old 02-04-07, 08:09 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

gsrthomas, When I just test fit the spoiler into places and don't hold it down, the ends are about 3/4th inches above the trunk lid. My dad and I drilled the holes properly using the template. We got the IS from Longo also. Where are you or your dads shop located at? Can you guys do my install too?

Quick Reply: OEM rear spoiler ends keep lifting up?