IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear Bra at Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 11:40 AM
acbrisker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does that price quote include the headlights and fog lights?? I live in Rockville, Maryland ... and would be willing to drive ... would love to hear your feedback on this shop. How did you find this place? Was it recommended to you?

Originally Posted by nnh768
For anyone that lives in nva there a promotion on clear bra @ Detail Authority in Herndon, it's $520 including hood, fenders, bumper, and side mirrors. An extra $50 for the all four door edges.

Just bought my car on wed and installing it today!!!
Old 03-04-07, 02:59 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

doe's your car have those two dimples in the front for the parking sensors? mine does and they hand cut the holes and it looks very crappy, other than that i pretty satisfied.

I have Parking Assist (and therefore the sensors), so I don't have that problem. I thought that there was a pattern for those cars without park assist. One thing in the pattern that annoys me is that the area under the headlights isn't covered. That's probably cut off because of the headlight washers.
Old 03-04-07, 03:01 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by acbrisker
Does that price quote include the headlights and fog lights?? I live in Rockville, Maryland ... and would be willing to drive ... would love to hear your feedback on this shop. How did you find this place? Was it recommended to you?

No, that doesn't include headlights and foglights. That cost me another $125. I've gone to the place for years for car detailing and happened to see them installing a clear bra on a car when I was picking my car up once.
Old 03-04-07, 03:11 PM
acbrisker
Driver

Originally Posted by homer4598
No, that doesn't include headlights and foglights. That cost me another $125. I've gone to the place for years for car detailing and happened to see them installing a clear bra on a car when I was picking my car up once.
Did you get tint done there as well? I'm hoping to find a place that is recommended to me ... but also will do both services, and hopefully offer me a discount in the process.
Old 03-04-07, 04:28 PM
caudlek
Driver

Do these covers ever scratch or become dull etc?

Does that section of car ever need wax after that?

Go a good web site for reference?

Thanks in advance,,,,,,,,,,,,,Kurt
Old 03-04-07, 05:29 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Did you get tint done there as well? I'm hoping to find a place that is recommended to me ... but also will do both services, and hopefully offer me a discount in the process.

I didn't get the tint done there. I noticed that they do it, but just figured that I'd got to LA Tint for that...
Old 03-04-07, 05:30 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caudlek
Do these covers ever scratch or become dull etc?

Does that section of car ever need wax after that?

Go a good web site for reference?

Thanks in advance,,,,,,,,,,,,,Kurt

This is the first time I've had a clear bra. The installer said to wash and wax like normal.
Old 03-04-07, 06:32 PM
nnh768
Driver School Candidate

I have Parking Assist (and therefore the sensors), so I don't have that problem. I thought that there was a pattern for those cars without park assist. One thing in the pattern that annoys me is that the area under the headlights isn't covered. That's probably cut off because of the headlight washers.
Wait u do or don't have that problem? Because i have the sensors too, and where the sensors are they cut a hole in the clear bra. I didn't like how they hand cut the holes, its not a perfect circle. I don't like the fact they didn't cover the area directly under the headlamps either.
Old 03-04-07, 06:36 PM
nnh768
Driver School Candidate

No it doesn't, it's an additional $100

$520 = hood, fender, bumper, side mirrors
$100 = headlamps and foglights
$50 = all 4 door edges
Old 03-04-07, 06:50 PM
coconutie
Driver School Candidate

Default 3M clear bra

For those interested I just purchased a 3M Clear Bra off Ebay; 155$
Installation CD and Tool is included... I might was thinking of doing the install myself anybody try this on their own?

For reference ebay item number: 220080911149
Old 03-04-07, 07:27 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Wait u do or don't have that problem? Because i have the sensors too, and where the sensors are they cut a hole in the clear bra. I didn't like how they hand cut the holes, its not a perfect circle. I don't like the fact they didn't cover the area directly under the headlamps either.

I'll look more closely tomorrow. I didn't notice anything in those areas.
Old 03-05-07, 05:38 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

I do have the same issue (I thought there was a pattern for cars WITH the Parking Assist too). However, while the holes are a little jaggy, they aren't bad. I can't tell unless I'm 6 inches or less away from that area of the car, which is why I didn't see them in the first place.
Old 03-05-07, 07:15 AM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys...as a topic of discussion...my IS has about 2,500 miles already (in one month!!!!!) and I have the clear bra on my front bumper and my mirrors. In any event, I was washing the car this weekend and noticed a pretty high number of rock chips on the hood! Seems like I made a mistake by NOT covering the front of the hood... Anyhow, curious if other IS owners have noticed a high number of rock chips on their hoods???
Peter
Old 03-05-07, 07:26 AM
nnh768
Driver School Candidate

I do have the same issue (I thought there was a pattern for cars WITH the Parking Assist too). However, while the holes are a little jaggy, they aren't bad. I can't tell unless I'm 6 inches or less away from that area of the car, which is why I didn't see them in the first place.
yea i guess im just a little paranoid sinced i just bought the car, i'd figure they would machine cut the holes since it is a 40k vehicle. But w/e i can live with it. I also wish it would cover more of the hood and fenders.
Old 03-05-07, 07:35 AM
nnh768
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by houstonT
Hey guys...as a topic of discussion...my IS has about 2,500 miles already (in one month!!!!!) and I have the clear bra on my front bumper and my mirrors. In any event, I was washing the car this weekend and noticed a pretty high number of rock chips on the hood! Seems like I made a mistake by NOT covering the front of the hood... Anyhow, curious if other IS owners have noticed a high number of rock chips on their hoods???
Peter
hey peter, are the rock chips high up on the hood? I got the clear bra for the hood but it goes up only 18inches from front. Is your car a darker color? My first chioce in color was black saphirre pearl but when i went to see it at the dealer I noticed there were scratches and a few rock chips, i guess the dark color makes scratches and chips more apparent.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra at Dealer