IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson == Not so good Imaging?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 01:00 AM
mail_junky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson == Not so good Imaging?

I just got my IS with ML last week and have been listening to different materials, CD, DVD, XM in the past few days.

When listening to non-surround sources, CD, XM, I found that the center channel is so loud as if all music is coming from there. Ok, I am exggerating, but seriously, the imaging on the ML system is not as good as I had expected. There is simply not enough stereo separation.

Another disappointment is that there is NO menu option to let the user optimize the sound stage for the driver seat vs passenger seat. The stock Pioneer system actually has this feature!

Does anybody know if there is any secret menu to do this? Do you guys feel that same way I do?

BTW, the sound quality of XM is mediocore at best. It is some where between AM and FM. I was hoping for near CD quality.....
Old 02-07-07, 01:58 AM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

The sound system in th IS's suck! They sound awful....and with it being a Lexus you would think it would be first class.
Old 02-07-07, 02:09 AM
Wests
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stangd1909
The sound system in th IS's suck! They sound awful....and with it being a Lexus you would think it would be first class.
I don't know if I would go as far as saying they "suck". Honestly they have some of the best sounding stock systems around. I guess they just aren't up to the exacting standards of some audiophiles.
Old 02-07-07, 02:37 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock systems have come a long what from the crap they were in the past. One thing OEM's are getting more and more correct is in the tonal accuracy. One thing they still have a long way to go is in sound staging and imaging. The OEM's still think more speakers are better. With todays multi channel recordings, you do need a certain amount of speakers to reproduce the multi channel, but still OEM have a little ways to go in speaker placement for better sound stage and imaging IMHO. Part of the problem for OEM's is they can't place speakers in optimum locations as it just may not be feasible in a car sold to the general population.
Old 02-07-07, 04:37 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am an audiophile, and the ML is a very good system for an automobile. Most 'experts' on car audio systems go by how low and how loud the system will play, which doesn't have anything to do with accuracy or quality of sound. For the money that the ML costs it is a great value. No way do the Lexus systems 'suck'.
Old 02-07-07, 04:43 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Compared to all the other cars I have tested it was one of the best IMO.
My XM sounds way better than FM. Granted it doesn't rival my home theater
but that cost as much as my IS350.
Old 02-07-07, 05:31 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I am an audiophile, and the ML is a very good system for an automobile. Most 'experts' on car audio systems go by how low and how loud the system will play, which doesn't have anything to do with accuracy or quality of sound. For the money that the ML costs it is a great value. No way do the Lexus systems 'suck'.
I agree, completely! I've been somewhat of an audiophile for many, many years. I have yet to hear a factory sound system that can rival the ML in the IS. To me, it is absolutely stunning! (For OEM, that is.) The Civic pounding away at the red light is NOT how music is supposed to sound. Imaging? Yes, I suppose it could be improved, somewhat. How do you get 14 speakers in a small environment with lots of sound reflecting glass to image well? ML has done a better job than most, I think.
Old 02-07-07, 05:59 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

While the base audio and the ML are a step above OEM audio systems, simple upgrades can make it much better. In my base audio 2IS simply adding a summing LOC after the factory amp, a well powered aftermarket amplifier (Alpine MRV-F545, soon to be replaced by a Brax X2400), and a set of Boston Acoustics Z6 6.5" woofers and 1" tweeters in the factory front door locations was a huge improvement. Although the upgrade was about $1500 most true audiophiles would gladly pay the price.
Old 02-07-07, 06:22 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Maybe you'd prefer junk Blose systems. The ML system is one of the best OEM systems on the market and it consistently rated #1 or #2 on Pro HT and Audio Magazines.

Sorry you feel otherwise because the ML system is quite the treat.

Last edited by MLevinson; 02-07-07 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-07-07, 06:54 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

many people think
loud+uncontrolled booming bass = Awesome system

When the reality is, you want accurate reproduction... so you can hear the music the way the artist intended
Old 02-07-07, 07:05 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mail_junky
When listening to non-surround sources, CD, XM, I found that the center channel is so loud as if all music is coming from there. Ok, I am exggerating, but seriously, the imaging on the ML system is not as good as I had expected. There is simply not enough stereo separation.

Another disappointment is that there is NO menu option to let the user optimize the sound stage for the driver seat vs passenger seat. The stock Pioneer system actually has this feature!
Turn off the surround sound for CDs and XM. I am pretty sure that it automatically comes on playing DVDs

About optimizing for the Driver etc... It is weird that the car doesnt have this. I have a prototype Nav system(bought used).. and it does have this feature in the menu. It just doesnt work.

Just change the speaker balance 2 away from the driver. I also think its better to move the balance a little to the back, for backfill
Old 02-07-07, 07:32 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

ML is by far the best sound system Ive heard!!!
Old 02-07-07, 07:41 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

I really wish they had some sort of time correction ability in the ML system. I had this on my Alpine deck and you could recorrect for the driver's position by setting how far you are from each speaker. The difference was night and day clarity and imaging. I can imagine it would do wonders for the IS if we had a feature like this. The system itself is amazing though, great balance.

Now if my dealership can figure out why my speaker is rattling like a **** then I'd be happy. I've been into the dealership 5 times already.
Old 02-07-07, 07:51 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tcho82
I really wish they had some sort of time correction ability in the ML system. I had this on my Alpine deck and you could recorrect for the driver's position by setting how far you are from each speaker. The difference was night and day clarity and imaging. I can imagine it would do wonders for the IS if we had a feature like this. The system itself is amazing though, great balance.

Now if my dealership can figure out why my speaker is rattling like a **** then I'd be happy. I've been into the dealership 5 times already.
Rattling=Blown?? What have they done to try to fix it? I would think they find the speaker rattling and then replace it....
Old 02-07-07, 08:02 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Rattling and distortion. Not blown. They've replaced a mid range, a tweeter, extra insulation, more insulation, and have replaced the ML amp. Still making the sound. Its a distortion at certain frequencies.

I'm thinking about asking them to replace the entire stereo unit itself. Its the only thing I can think of at this point.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson == Not so good Imaging?